layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
MilesWestern said:
I knew about the "adios" drumhead from a book I had read month's earlier...I didn;t post because you already provided the answar for me! :( :rolleyes:
sorry Miles, i posted the trivia question 3 nights ago and NO ONE answered it. Wayne brought it up in his post he made yesterday morning, i waited till last night for a reply from SOMEONE, since NO ONE replied, i posted the answer. sorry man. -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
steamhead said:
Nice pics, Dean. That engineer wished he had a crane's neck to get a good "gander" at the cutie climbing all over his engine...
Gus:wave:, i TOTALLY AGREE!:thumb::D...and THANKS!:D

steamhead said:
A trivia question of my own...(and I don't know the answer): What was the very last passenger run of the "signature" trains (i.e., Super Chief, Broadway Limited, etc.)?

Gus (LC&P).
Darn good question!:thumb: and now i know how others felt when i asked my question, i don't have a clue to the answers to yours!:eek:ops:tooth1, but now that you have asked it, i am curious to find the answers:thumb:, i hope someone can help.:D **Gus to answer the question in your other post, #932 might be in a museum, but i am guessing UP sold it to AMTRAK, as they did with ALOT of their passenger equipment.;) AMTRAK bought alot of its equipment at its start from UP as UP kept EXCELLENT care of its passenger equipment:thumb:. the only 2 E9A's i have on record UP has today are #951 and #949. **SIDE NOTE: UP kept over 40 passenger cars, they are still in use today on various runs. THANKS Gus!:D -Deano

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
Man, Id like to model those whatever they are in rio grande and cnw for my layout. Thanks for the pix. I heard something about the UP doing a fallen flags scheme for their railroad. Once again Deano, you come through!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
NSES44DC said:
Man, Id like to model those whatever they are in rio grande and cnw for my layout. Thanks for the pix. I heard something about the UP doing a fallen flags scheme for their railroad. Once again Deano, you come through!
Jeff:wave:, THANKS!!, YOU are too kind!:D...Jeff, i too, think the Rio Grande, and CNW heritage units are AWESOME!!:thumb: they are painted on the new SD70ACe's!:D Tower55 is coming out with the SD70ACe in Sept-Oct:thumb:, you could use that to model them, OR, just wait a bit, Tower55 is making ALL the heritage units!:thumb: :D **i have a Tower55 ES44AC UP#5450, it runs & sounds GREAT!, well worth the money in my opinion -Deano

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
UP SD40-2 said:
Jeff:wave:, THANKS!!, YOU are too kind!:D...Jeff, i too, think the Rio Grande, and CNW heritage units are AWESOME!!:thumb: they are painted on the new SD70ACe's!:D Tower55 is coming out with the SD70ACe in Sept-Oct:thumb:, you could use that to model them, OR, just wait a bit, Tower55 is making ALL the heritage units!:thumb: :D **i have a Tower55 ES44AC UP#5450, it runs & sounds GREAT!, well worth the money in my opinion -Deano
Yeah, I was wondering how the new Tower55 units ran. I was captured by the ES44AC's in the recent issues of MRR. I may just have to save up to purchase one of these fine engines..or two..or three..sign1

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
NSES44DC said:
Yeah, I was wondering how the new Tower55 units ran. I was captured by the ES44AC's in the recent issues of MRR. I may just have to save up to purchase one of these fine engines..or two..or three..sign1
Jeff:wave:, heres my Tower55, cant wait till the SD70ACe comes out!:thumb: :D -Deano View attachment 28346

Attachments

• UP ES44AC.JPG
    UP ES44AC.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 147

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006

Attachments

• k.JPG
    k.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 157
  • l.JPG
    l.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 150
  • m.JPG
    m.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 151
  • n.JPG
    n.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 151
  • o.JPG
    o.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 150

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Are You A Specific Road Fanatic?

i am curious, are ANY of you a specific road fanatic?:confused: let me explain, model RRing to me, goes FAR beyond modeling and running trains;). i find GREAT enjoyment in finding out as much about the roads i model/have modeled, as i do modeling its self:thumb:. i am assuming we all get some type of model RR magazines, and sure, you can find bits and pieces of info on specific roads in them, but for me, thats not enough:D. i probably spend more time reading books, watching DVD's, and searching the net for info on the road i model, then modeling:eek:ops:tooth1. to me, i think researching the road you model, helps enhance your modeling:thumb:. a couple examples, the engines i buy, i like to know how many that particular road bought, and just what they were used for, like UP had just 10 U28B's, they were used as road engines for a short time, then spent a short time as yard engines before they were traded in. or how about this one, UP was the LAST class 1 road to run stock cars, yep, thats right, right up into the mid 90's! the last few of those years they ran stock cars in front of container trains!;)...hows that for a consist:thumb:. are you starting to see how this info could enhance your modeling?:D to ME, it just makes the hobby more enjoyable to use more then just your model RR magazine, to help your modeling;). curious, and just my thoughts;). till next time...stay on track.:D -Deano View attachment 28396

Attachments

• info.JPG
    info.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 129

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Are you sure U.P. doesn't still run the Hog Ex? The last time I saw it they had 3 Sd75s or big GEs I don't remember for sure, but the had 3 of their largest power units pulling 2 or 3 cars as fast as they could go. The smell they left behind made me understand why they were running as fast as they were! The train crew was keeping the smell well behind them! Actually to answer your question, I enjoy doing research on the Santa Fe; but since I model the AT&SF in the mid 50s, it is all historical. In fact the only railroad periodical I subscribe to is the "War Bonnett" magazine of the Santa Fe RR Modeling & Historical Society.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I'm an SP fanatic, although not as much as I used to be, since I started the
Mission Valley & Pacific... I have the SP version of the book on the upper right, and yes, I very much do enjoy finding out about the lil' idiosyncracies of each road, like the SP. Did you know that the SP ran 2-6-0's right until the end of steam? most railroads west of the mississippi didn't. Some called them the "Valley Mallets" (rhymes if you pronounce Mallet correctly.) for their exceptional pulling power on the flatlands.
Here's another intresting tidbit: SP helped develop the SD40T-2 by building a funny attachment to a couple of their SD45's with "elephant ears" angled pieces of sheetmetal that run fron the top of the rear airintakes to the handrails, they designated them the SD-45T-1's!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Russ, THANKS for letting me know about the "hog runs":thumb: **Miles, THANK YOU for the info on SP, quite interesting:thumb:. a THANK YOU!, to BOTH you guys for chiming in on my "info" post.:thumb: :D -Deano

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
dean---you've got a real winner there---great locomotives,rolling stock,scenery and photography---i always enjoy your threads---thanks for sharing---nutbar

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
cn nutbar said:
dean---you've got a real winner there---great locomotives,rolling stock,scenery and photography---i always enjoy your threads---thanks for sharing---nutbar
nutbar:wave:, THANK YOU!:D, that is VERY KIND of you!:D hey cn nutbar, i have to throw the SAME complents right back at you:thumb::D. i ALWAYS enjoy the same things in your threads, that you have mentioned about mine;):thumb:. THANK YOU! :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Mind a couple pics off Dads...

hey guys, i have been helping my dad out with his layout for the past 3 months on Saturdays.:thumb: except for a switching layout we made about 2yrs ago and have Incorporated it into it, his layout is a "plywood central". all the track is up and i just finished wiring it a couple weeks ago:thumb:. dad was happy with it, but wanted a hill, so it wouldn't be so flat. we talked it over and decided the way it was laid out, their just wasn't a good place for a mountain. here in WI, there are lots of hills blasted through for roads & rail, so we decided to go that route;). dads a pack rat:rolleyes:, and has saved everything from all his past layouts(starting in 1964), so while dad was going through boxes looking for buildings to make up a town, i took on the blasted hill:D. i am hesitant to post the pics because the backdrop has to be done, no trees, brush or ballasting has been done yet, hey, theres only so much i can do on a Saturday;)tooth1. i hope you guys don't mind me posting these pics:eek:ops:. here is the progress i made on the blasted hill:D. the last two pics show 1(of 2) of my challengers making the maiden voyage through the pass:thumb:. :D -Deano View attachment 28497 View attachment 28498 View attachment 28500 View attachment 28501 View attachment 28502

Attachments

• DSC03161.JPG
    DSC03161.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC03170.JPG
    DSC03170.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC03175.JPG
    DSC03175.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC03199.JPG
    DSC03199.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC03230.JPG
    DSC03230.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 103

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

Enjoyed the "roll-by", but you forgot THE CABOOSE!!!!! By NMRA decree, all model trains must run with a caboose!

That Big Boy sure looks sweet too!!!

Gus (LC&P).

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
UP...

Nice work on your Dad's layout - how did you do the rocks? Molds? Something else? THey look fantastic - right down to the colouring and everything.

You asked earlier if any of us were rr-specifc fans - yes! I do like Canadian National. My collection of non-model stuff is small though... It started with some circa 1940 luggage tags my great-grandfather had on his bags when he went to India (of all places!). I have received a circa 1930 MOW handbook, and recently found a copy of the ca 1930 Report of the Royal Commission on the State of Railways and Transportation in Canada.

I also have a growning collection of books on the histories of various shortlines in and around Eastern Ontario, including the Kingston and Pembrook, the Brockville and Ottawa, and the Ottawa, Arnprior & Parry Sound.

But the pièce-de-résistance in my collection is a CPR spike I found when I was about 6 or 7 years old. Still have it, still hangs on the wall in the frame I made ;) :D

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.