layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
MilesWestern said:
hey I got a question that an engine nut like yourself might be able to solve....The new Athearn R-T-R F7's...are both units powered, or is the B unit the dummy?
Miles, the "B" unit is a dummy. i suggest picking one up at Toy Train Heaven, the prices are GREAT!, and i haven't got burned there yet:thumb:. if the road you want is in stock, takes 4-12 days to get on your front door step.:thumb::D

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006

Attachments

• 0001.JPG
    0001.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 0002.JPG
    0002.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 175
  • 0003.JPG
    0003.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 0004.JPG
    0004.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 172

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
TruckLover said:
Gee, I hope that UP SD40-2 doesn't mind that I talking about my new module when this thread is on his. Hey Dean, let me know if it's any problem.
sign1 Josh, DON'T worry about it:thumb:, NO i don't mind, infact, i hope Miles, wickman and i have helped you out.:thumb::D i wish you the best of luck with your new module, and hope you post picks as you go.:D...hey, i know i have posted "United Transfer" on here before, but since your into trucks, heres a couple new pics of it. its the only industry i have with alot of trucks:D. GOOD LUCK! -Deano View attachment 27735 View attachment 27736 View attachment 27737 View attachment 27738

Attachments

• UT1.JPG
    UT1.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 170
  • UT2.JPG
    UT2.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 170
  • UT3.JPG
    UT3.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 168
  • UT4.JPG
    UT4.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 167

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
:wave: Hi Dean,

Thanks for posting those for me. O and have you been to my layout thread recently? Miles came up with a track plan that Im going to do on my current layout. It is pretty good and will give me some switching. just clik tha link in my signature.

Those pictures are sweet as usual. :thumb:

Is that a Schneider National Trailer and a Peterbilt 359 in the back? (Orange truck).
One more question, are those little forklifts made by wiking?

I notice something new in your pics every time you post them. This time I saw a double stack container car and an 89' auto carrier (UP im assuming)

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Nice guard rails on thee parking lot.

Where did you get those.

You want a trailer?

I bought a flat car on ebay and it comes with a modern west coast company trailer of some sort.

I was going to toss it.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
TruckLover said:
...have you been to my layout thread recently? Miles came up with a track plan that Im going to do on my current layout. It is pretty good and will give me some switching. just clik tha link in my signature....Is that a Schneider National Trailer and a Peterbilt 359 in the back? (Orange truck).
One more question, are those little forklifts made by wiking?I notice something new in your pics every time you post them. This time I saw a double stack container car and an 89' auto carrier (UP im assuming)
Josh, i DID make it over to your thread:thumb:, i think the track plan Miles come up with for you is AWESOME!:D the track plan would allow you to have plenty of truck industries on it AND RUNNING TRAINS!:thumb: looked like a good switching track plan;):D. to answer your questions: yes you are 100% correct on the Schneider trailer and cab:thumb:, and yes, the forklifts ARE made by wiking:D. and last, i have a few container cars, and auto carriers...do you honestly think they would be anything other then UP?!!!:D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Gil Finn said:
Nice guard rails on thee parking lot.

Where did you get those.

You want a trailer?

I bought a flat car on ebay and it comes with a modern west coast company trailer of some sort.

I was going to toss it.
Gil Finn:wave:, THANKS for the complement!:D to set the record straight, the guard rails are NOT from Busch. i have seen the guard rails they make and feel the Pikestuff brand(thats what mine are) are a 1000x better!;). Walther's part#541-3 $1.90 for 50 scale feet:thumb:. as far as your trailer goes, THANK YOU very much for the offer, that is VERY kind of you:thumb::D. however, i have to decline on your offer, to be honest with you i have TONS of stuff like that from previous layouts that is boxed up just waiting for a bigger layout. AGAIN, THANK YOU! for the offer though!!!:D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Good News & Good News!

FIRST, i was over at my dads today helping him work on his layout, and we needed some cinders for the engine yard. took a trip to the hobby shop in Janesville to pick some up. WSOR's round house is about 50yrds from the hobby shop. after i picked up the cinders i stopped over to the yard and got a couple more GOOD shots of some of their engines!:thumb::D SECOND, before i stopped in on this forum i was shopping around for stuff online and found a deal on an Athearn challenger, sure i already have one, but i couldn't resist, and ordered ANOTHER!:D, should be at my door within 2 weeks, I'll post picks of the pair soon as i get it:thumb::D. heres a couple of the pics i took today:D -Deano View attachment 27756 View attachment 27757 View attachment 27758 View attachment 27759

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 158

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
I love your layout UP SD40-2. I always thought my 5' by 10' was small and I couldnt do much with it, but you've inspired me with new ideas for my own layout. It doesnt matter about size as long as operations and scenery, run and look great and you enjoy it! Cant wait to see more of your pics that you post! Keep up the great work!

Jeff

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
NSES44DC & wickman, WOW!!, THANKS for the GREAT complements!:D i am in total aggreance, if you are happy with your scenery, and have a layout built for good operations, no matter how big, or small it is, you will find lasting enjoyment in it.:thumb::D(though i DO wish i had the space for a larger onetooth1) THANKS GUYS!:D...and stay on track! -Deano View attachment 27805

Attachments

• 3patched.JPG
    3patched.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 144

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
UP SD40-2 said:
NSES44DC & wickman, WOW!!, THANKS for the GREAT complements!:D i am in total aggreance, if you are happy with your scenery, and have a layout built for good operations, no matter how big, or small it is, you will find lasting enjoyment in it.:thumb::D(though i DO wish i had the space for a larger onetooth1) THANKS GUYS!:D...and stay on track! -Deano View attachment 27805

This picture is like a dream come true for my layout. I have a lot of NS, CR, and CSX but i love the foreign power that comes on the roads out here..This pic is what i imagine my layout being at some point soon! Those roads working together pullin on one of my two mainlines. This definately inspired me a who lot more!

Jeff

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Operations & Do You Use Car Cards?

NSES44DC & wickman mentioned "operations", got me wondering if any of you use car cards? i never did till about 6yrs ago, now, i don't see how i ran without them. in the past i would build a layout, but would get bored with running trains after awhile:(. i found that for me, car cards was the cure:thumb:. to me car cards gives you a purpose, an assignment, and your job is to finish it. i make my own car cards on the computer, and just print off them as i need them. for this layout since i only have 2 industries to service my car card system is very simple:thumb:. on previous layouts i have had, i the system was a little more involving. guess their is a bright side to having a small 8'x30'' switching layout!:D i have 2 sets of cards with each 50' box on it, one set going to Tri-Star, the other to United Transfer. i decide how long i plan on running, and randomly draw cards from the pile/s i plan to use. first i take whatever UP engine i plan on using and pick up the cars on the siding/s and either run them to the holding track next to one of Tri-Stars sidings, or set them out to the WSOR/UP interchange tracks. if i am doing a long run, i will set up a WSOR at one end with about 4-6 cars, have it bring them down to the interchange track, drop them off, and pick up the cars the UP engine has set out to be exchanged. after that, my UP engine will come up and pick up the cars WSOR has dropped off and distribute them wherever the card says to put them. i put alot of thought into this layout so i am lucky, there are tons of variables for operations:thumb:. lets say i felt like using my SD90/43Mac for switching both industries out, i could do this HASSLE FREE with 12 cars on the layout:thumb:. with my GP40, or small engines like that, i could switch out BOTH industries with up to 18 cars on the layout, keep in mind the more cars, the longer it takes;). 18 cars on my layout means ALOT of extra car movements, though not prototypical, if i have the time to kill, is quite challenging:D. a 12 car operation would be pretty prototypical for my layout, and honestly, being a single parent, i RARELY have time to do more:D. **ANYWAYS, that sums up operations on my layout. has car cards helped ANY of you guys out with putting life back into your running? just curious:confused:. ...stay on track.:D -Deano View attachment 27807 View attachment 27808 View attachment 27809 View attachment 27810 View attachment 27811

Attachments

• op1.JPG
    op1.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 133
  • op2.JPG
    op2.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 132
  • op3.JPG
    op3.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 131
  • op4.JPG
    op4.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 130
  • op5.jpg
    op5.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 134

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
** SIDE NOTE, on my last post "Operations & Car Cards". the track that runs along the backdrop is my program/test track. this track is NOT connected to the rest of the layout tracks...though i like to think of it as a UP mainline.:D. -Deano View attachment 27817

Attachments

• GP40 at work.JPG
    GP40 at work.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 226

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Challenger #2, coming SOON!!!

i know i have posted my Challenger before, but i am REALLY psyched up about getting one of her sisters!:thumb: i bought this Athearn Challenger when they first came out, it has been my MOST RELIABLE, BEST running and BEST sounding steamer i have today:thumb:. i like this engine so much, i have ordered one of her sisters and it should be coming this week!!!:thumb::D my Rivarossi F-E-F(northern) and old Rivarossi Big Boy don't even come close to this engine;). as soon as it comes in, i will post pics of the pair.:D -Deano View attachment 27921 View attachment 27922 View attachment 27923 View attachment 27924

Attachments

• 4-6-6-4(1).JPG
    4-6-6-4(1).JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 4-6-6-4(2).JPG
    4-6-6-4(2).JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 189
  • 4-6-6-4(3).JPG
    4-6-6-4(3).JPG
    28 KB · Views: 189
  • challenger40box.JPG
    challenger40box.JPG