Layout Progess

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
jkinosh said:
I was thinking of doing something similiar, I have some 600 Grit Wet/Dry Sand paper that I was planning on using, and this stuff is almost as smooth as a piece of Card Stock.

My question is what would be the difference between using a "Brite-Boy" track cleaner, and using something like 600 or Higher Grit wet/Dry sand paper. If I am not mistaken the last Brite-Boy Track cleaner that I saw was a lot mor coarse than the 600 Grit sand paper.

Jacob

Hmm.. instead of having sand paper as track cleaner, why not mount a graphite dispenser (pencil) under the car (I believe I read about using that to clean tracks to improve electical conductivity)

-Norm

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
One of the most sensable track cleaner ideas I've heard of uses a soft cloth and TV tuner cleaner. I have not personally tried this on tracks, but I can attest that it works really well on the old clunk-clunk TV tuners. Mounting a pad under a car, spraying it with the cleaner and running it over your track should keep things running smoothly. It should still be available at any electronics supply house. The clunk-clunk TV tuners are long gone, but there are still mechanical switches that are cleaned using it.

sputnik

Sep 29, 2004
bluecreekrr.home.att.net
jkinosh said:
I was thinking of doing something similiar, I have some 600 Grit Wet/Dry Sand paper that I was planning on using, and this stuff is almost as smooth as a piece of Card Stock.

My question is what would be the difference between using a "Brite-Boy" track cleaner, and using something like 600 or Higher Grit wet/Dry sand paper. If I am not mistaken the last Brite-Boy Track cleaner that I saw was a lot mor coarse than the 600 Grit sand paper.

Jacob

While I haven't inspected a Brite-Boy close-up, the Peco eraser type cleaner is made with material that isn't going to "dig in" like sand. I personally wouldn't use 600 grit even. Some people report success with metal polish, which smooths the rail well beyond 600 (and then occasionally clean it with a rag and solution like track cleaner, alcohol, TV tuner cleaner, or whatever you prefer or can get a hold of). If metal polish makes a difference, then it would seem to me that 600 still causes some issues.

Besides, even one lap around my small tabletop layout, and that 600 grit will be more than used up, and need to be changed/adjusted, while a cloth/pad with solution will last longer before needing to be re-wetted or changed/adjusted. And, using any grit of sandpaper will still leave some dust/residue behind. While that can easily be wiped off if you use sandpaper by hand, it doesn't make for a good hands free cleaning system on the bottom of a car.

---jps

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Nice layout, indeed! :thumb:

What brand of automobiles did you use? Those show suprising detail for N scale compared to the ones I've seen in person. Or does anyone else know maybe?

nutz4trainz

Jan 8, 2006
dude I am so glad to see someone use the ez track didn't know if anyone used it.I use ez track and power loc and also haveing tough time to get the ballest to stick ,thanks for the tip on the carpenters glue and great job on the layout.Pics of my layout to follow soon.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
For those who asked...

The vehicles are mostly Atlas and Wiking, some bought very recently while others are over 20 years old. The Davidson Repair building is from Pike Stuff. Their kit went together really well. The only difficulty I had was cutting in new doors into the platic. Even with an Xacto knife, it still turned the color of the plastic from blue to white, which was easily solved with some light sanding with fine grit paper. The other buildings were bought over time, and already completed by others so I won't take credit for them. There is still a lot of road work to do to get them looking just right. And more ballast work to accomplish.

More pics to follow.......

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Couple of pics

Here's a few of some recent additions to the layout...

Atlas Dash-8
Kato BN SD70MAC
Life Like Proto N GP60

Actually, notice the detailing on the Life Like...compares well if not better to the new Atlas Dash 8-40B

Attachments

• Copy of P1010089.JPG
    Copy of P1010089.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Copy of P1170086.JPG
    Copy of P1170086.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Copy of P1170093.JPG
    Copy of P1170093.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 28

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Thanks. I'm working on getting rid of the "antiseptic" look of everything looking too clean and orderly. I've been noticing more of the tracks around my area and trying to incorporate what I can, the variation and realism...at least, that's the plan. :) Now, if I can just figure out how.........

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Herc, the easiest/fastest way to get things looking slightly dirty is to use the old "India Ink and Rubbing Alcohol Wash" technique.

The fellows up here use roughly 1ml of Ink for every 125 ml of alcohol. Also, they get the Dollar Store alcohol as it is not as strong as the drug store brands.

Hope this helps.

Edit: for the metrically challenged that would be 0.034 oz. to 4.2 oz. OR 0.1 oz. in 12.6 oz.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I have heard about that technique but not the desired mixing quantities, thanks for the tip. Anyone have any pictures of the "before and after" using the ink/alcohol?

I've noticed that here around the Charlotte, NC area, Norfolk Southern keeps the tracks and surrounding right of way pretty neat and tidy. The ballast is in good repair, there are no old tracks pieces or ties left about, not even too many areas of tall grass or overgrowth. I'm going to try to get this same "look" throughout my layout. Incidently, we see quite a number of "guest power" in and around the city. It's not unusual to see BNSF, CSX, UP, LN and others mixed up together pulling unit trains through Charlotte. Which is good since I've bought several engines from various RR's without really checking into what RR's operate around this local area. I guess sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.:thumb: Thanks again for the tip.

Metrically and alphabetically challanged :D

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Just learned what you probably already know

Yep...just proved it to myself...sometimes, less is more.

I've been trying to figure out why the layout doesn't look right...and I finally figured out what you better experienced gaugers' already know. Take away pounds of lichen, too many trees, too many ground covers, and wouldn't ya know it - there's your layout. Simply put, I discovered that too much lichen is just too much (unless you're modeling kudzu here in the south which does in fact take over anything not moving too quickly). I had created a hill in the middle left of the layout with a saddle that was obliterated by too much greenery. Take it out and things seemed to improve. So I went around removing instead of adding. I'll go back now and add only what is needed to ease the transition from hill to grass.

Suggestions? Critiques? This is my first layout and I'm still very much learning and will listen to the more experienced voices of reason.

(Next on the list is to improve those roads...need lines, dirt, etc.)

Attachments

• Copy of P2100112.JPG
    Copy of P2100112.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Copy of P2100117.JPG
    Copy of P2100117.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 29