layout plan

rksstl

Hi to all,

Just want to get some comments on a new layout i'm just starting to build. It will be done in 6'x12' and 2' wide. i'll use flex track when const. starts, sectional was just easier for planning.
Theme will be med to lg city so building and ind. will be hiding alot of track. Let me know what you think.

layout6x12.jpg

Rich

Tyson Rayles

Hi Rich and welcome to the Gauge! :) To be honest it doesn't look like you have any room for any buildings or scenery across the top portion. That's not a slam, some people don't like doing scenery so keep it to a minimum and that's O.K. The other thing is the train doesn't appear to really come from or go to anywhere, have you considered staging? Even if you don't want to operate it makes the layout look more realistic to the eye IMHO. That said, if you want to leave a train run on the mainline while working with a switcher in the yard you are all set :) . Not knowing what you are looking for in a layout I'm not sure if you are right on the money or maybe thinking about tweaking it some. This is just my opinion and does not reflect the views of staff, management or fellow members and should be taken with a grain of salt! :D :rolleyes: :D Whatever you do keep us posted! Good luck and have fun!

MCL_RDG

I'm a fan of...

...congested track right up against industrial buildings in city streets. I kinda like a good choking- don't think it'll squeez by- but let's try switching move.

I Like the folded dog-bone on account of I'm doing pretty much the same. You have a large yard so you like to op the yard- yet you have a place to send and receive from. You can send stuff out one end or the other- receive from one or the other...

I sense countless hours of making/breaking inbound/outbound trains that drop cars bound for the many industries.

I kinda like it- but then- I'm partial. I also sense you want to really operate! See it all and "run it"!

I like it a lot!

Mark

rksstl

Heres a revision which I think will be fairly close to what I'll go with. Made it a through yard and a little smaller and tightened up the sidiings to be able to add more buildings more of a city setting. The red track along the back will be hidden by a removeable backdrop and used for staging. I do like the idea of trains entering & leaving the layout. BTW the industry on the far right will be a Budweiser brewery and yes everyones invited for a cold one when it goes into operation.;)

Thanks for the Comments
Rich
ALSREV.jpg

Budweiser. Cool.

Just an Idea. Mount a Keg underneath the layout and have the 'chimney' of the Bud plant as a spiggot.

That's what I call happy railroading.

Cheers

davidstrains

Hi Rich,

Welcome to the Gauge. As you have seen already, you are in the right place to have some very good support for your Model Railroad experience.

While I like your plan, you do have tight curves. That is going to limit you to the smaller locomotives and freight cars. 40' will look ok probably but much larger you will have overhang that may conflict with operation and scenery. If you have taken that into account already then press on.

I look forward to seeing your progress.