layout pictures

Roger Wellman

Feb 3, 2003
Delaware, Ohio
Visit site
When I joined the Gauge, some members asked me to post pictures showing progress on my layout, and I guess it's time to submit some photos. I built a table eight feet by eight feet, then covered the top with pink and blue foam insulation board, used the regulart HO risers, then just put things at ramdom (much like Mother Nature), and have learned that sometimes I till have to "modify stuff", tearing out the old and building the new. Such is the HO hobby, I guess. This is my first time to submit pictures, and I hope they came through again. If not, I'll just tear it out and try again!

Attachments

• #2 1-26-03.jpg
    #2 1-26-03.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 305

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Your way of doing things is great Roger, doing the scenery in the middle of the layout first pays dividends in the long run. No leaning over to tackle it at a later stage when the scenery near the edges is complete!

I bet a lot of the time you spent was making those good looking trees :) Methinks I've seen that tower mast in San Francisco! ;) .

All in all, it's coming along just fine.

Errol

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Roger, this hill looks just fine.

I love that radio mast - it brings a vivid spot of color into the landscape. Is this a kit or did you scratchbuild it?

Ron

Roger Wellman

Feb 3, 2003
Delaware, Ohio
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts! The radio tower is a kit-bash effort using an N-Scale high tension power line tower kit, and shaping the triangular top from some plastic left over from other kits. These towers are everywhere on the landscape, these days, and I wanted something like that for my layout. The chain link fence is just some old window screen, tied around some small coat hanger wire, then painted with gloss silver. I tied the screen with a single strand of silver wire (pulled from speaker wire stock). Took lots of time, but I am pleased so far. The trees are from "well picked weeds", then covered with Woodland Scenics "stuff". In fact, it is finally a warm day in Ohio, and I plan to go "weed hunting" again to make more trees. I'll keep you posted on the progress of the layout.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Lookin' good Roger! Oh yeah, tearing out the old and making modifications is definitely part of the way I do the hobby! I can relate! :D Your results are worth the effort! Let me add my admiration of the radio tower scene.
Ralph