Layout pics/Intro

TrainJunkee

I did get a M1B 2-8-4 up it...It wasn't pretty but it was pulling a big tender and two pretty heavy cars... I am thinking if a had a 3 truck shay and 3 skeleton log cars it might go better...I am going to go sleep on it.It is 1:30AM here on the east coast... Thanks for the intput and I love some of the ideas I got on this forum and the replies are lightning fast...Keep em coming and thanks sooooo much... G'Night All

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
i think the new bachmann shays can climb that with about the same power as your 2-8-0 but you might be able to add weight to it to gain pulling power.but even with the extra pulling power,youll still want to lower that grade a bit.it will look more prototypical and you wont have coupler issues with different cars.my old 4 by 8 had a trestle which came out to 6% and my couplers would pop off each other regularly.so id say lower the trestle yet still keep your great work and dramatic scenery.cause honestly,i think im outta ideas. :mrgreen: --josh

TrainJunkee

i think the new bachmann shays can climb that with about the same power as your 2-8-0 but you might be able to add weight to it to gain pulling power.but even with the extra pulling power,youll still want to lower that grade a bit.it will look more prototypical and you wont have coupler issues with different cars.my old 4 by 8 had a trestle which came out to 6% and my couplers would pop off each other regularly.so id say lower the trestle yet still keep your great work and dramatic scenery.cause honestly,i think im outta ideas. :mrgreen: --josh

I agree Josh... I dont have many options and wil try 20 get the grade down to about 5% and remove some of the basematerial (Foam) and still keep the length of the 9 inch tressles... I appriciate evey ones help and inspiration and I will be on here quite often looking for Ideas and help... Thank for all your help

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
once you get the grade down,youll like it alot more than the original.not only will it look more prototypical it will be easier to run longer trains up it rather than 2 cars.--josh

L

lester perry

A switch back takes a lot of linear space. You will need distance for your grade to the first switch. Then go beyond it far enough to clear the switch with your train. then the distance for your grade the opposite direction, probably another switch. Then the length beyond that switch to clear it also.
Les

Now i had a 4% grade in a 8 foot span and most of my diesel loco would not put it with more than 8-10 cars. then it was slipping the wheels all the way up. I would say drop it down some. I got mine down to a 2% and all was good then. But here is one more thing about a high grade. If you plain to run DCC in your loco's then you better get some made for high amps. I burned up three before i found out what was happening. the hard pull on the little motors puts a lot of heat back on the decoder and thay will burn out on ya.