Layout photos

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Hi all,:)

Don said you might enjoy a pic or two from my layout;

afq.sized.jpg

afj.sized.jpg

These show two views of the same HO scene. Most of the buildings are scratchbuilt or bashed.... I use stucco patch over luann or drywall for landscaping. I will also work stucco over cardboard, crumpled paper, or just about anything as a base for more dramatic hills and such, as in this shot.

afe.sized.jpg

I make my trees out of various dryed weeds, spray painted and rolled around in ground foam.

Feedback welcomed!

Thanks,
Engineer Kyle

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Yes indeed, we love pics! :) Nice ones! Could you tell us a little about the structure with the name Meyer on it? I'm assuming its a mine. I really like the look of it. I also admire that curved roof structure in your second photo. Thanks for psoting!
Ralph

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nice looking scenes, Kyle, it looks like you've quite an extensive layout. I also like the appearance of the structure with the arched roof.

Wayne

kyle, It's looking goed, great work,I wish I was at that stage with my layout,
one of these days i will get there:cry:
Here are a few photo's of wat I am working on.
Regards Erne:wave:

Attachments

• 100_1079.JPG
    100_1079.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 365
  • 100_1082.JPG
    100_1082.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 368
  • 100_1084.JPG
    100_1084.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 360
  • PICT0111.JPG
    PICT0111.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 353
  • PICT0102.JPG
    PICT0102.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 350

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
Well All (Erne, Ron, Wayne, Ralph and Drew) :wave:

Thanks for the kind words. The curved roof structure is an Athrean box. If I remember, I cut it down and added doors which are a composite shim material you can get at Lowe’s cheap. It is corrugated. I thought the radius on a wishy-washy gallon jug was just about right for a curved roof, so I cut a section of that and covered it with material from a old rubber tarp I had found. The deck is coffee stirrers. Here’s a trick, the sidings on that structure are twisty-ties, straight from Hefty, and still in their sheets. I just cut them to size with scissors.

afn.sized.jpg

The Meyer’s Gravel Mine is pure fantasy. The roofs, windows and struts are bashed from other kits and a Tyco trestle set. Again, the basic building is Athrean boxes, this time standing on end. The side “rooms” are also boxes, cut and folded down on 45’s. The curved roof at the very top is a piece of a toilet paper roll. I wrapped one or more layers of cloth tape around the cardboard. This gets sprayed with white auto primer, and maybe a mist of gray. I think it implies some sort of a finish to the exterior walls?

abn.jpg

aet.jpg

BTW Erne, you had me rolling on the floor with your, "children derail the trains" comment! :D Your layout is cool! That switching area by the tunnels is especially gonna be nice!

Thanks again for the feedback, I would always welcome more, and would love to hear about, and see some of all your projects. I am new to the board, and feel welcome already.

EK

Art67

Apr 18, 2005
Baltimore
Great job, Kyle. Those tunnel portals convey a real sense of drama. Very consistent throughout. Keep up the good work! Stuart.

stagingyards

Jan 21, 2006
EngineerKyle said:
Hi all,:)

Don said you might enjoy a pic or two from my layout;

afq.sized.jpg

afj.sized.jpg

These show two views of the same HO scene. Most of the buildings are scratchbuilt or bashed.... I use stucco patch over luann or drywall for landscaping. I will also work stucco over cardboard, crumpled paper, or just about anything as a base for more dramatic hills and such, as in this shot.

afe.sized.jpg

I make my trees out of various dryed weeds, spray painted and rolled around in ground foam.

Feedback welcomed!

Thanks,
Engineer Kyle
I love your pics I like the water tower looks like mine but I scratch built mine from balsa wood and old paper coffee cup