layout idea

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
Ya missed a few things that were hard to see in that photo...I drew it up in cadd real quick, I been wantin to do that so thanks for the catalyst.

The switches are labeled S1-S7, the little tick marks on the track represent plastic joiners that separate the track sections, the track sections are numbered within the circles.

The track sections are wired to run in both directions, with triple position flip switches on the control board. He musta been on a soldering binge!!

Attachments

• traintbl2.jpg
    traintbl2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 325

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Aartmwich:
Do you really have a double curved turnout on the right side? That would be pretty good for the age of the layout.
Is it laid on cork or is it tru-scale roadbed?
Michael:
If you do this, I think the farthest turnouts at each side should be powered; the rest are close enough together to be thrown by hand. (But they could be powered if you want.)
It almost looks like one of Model Railroader's projects, like the Yuletide Central, but not one I know.

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
60103... well here is a pic of what I call switch 5 on the layout, I'm not fluent in model train terminology. Maybe I should call it a turnout instead of a switch? I imagine all turnouts have switches? All the turnouts/switches are powered on Dads layout, tho some of them are creaky. How would you lube something like that, or maybe they're corroded inside?

The 'road bed'? is cork and it seems to have shrunk some over the years, notice the gaps between the edge of the cork and the surronding grass as well as the gap right down the middle of it parallel to the rails. I wonder if this shrinkage has deformed the rails? I don't know if it's scale or not, it looks like it might be.

He built this in 1950, before I was born, I have no idea where he got the layout plan from. Was model railroader magazine in print back then?

Geez..I guess I coulda trimmed my feet and the tripod outta this pic..great photographer ima not..sorry bout that

Attachments

• dscn1136 sm.jpg
    dscn1136 sm.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 291

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
He built this in 1950, before I was born, I have no idea where he got the layout plan from. Was model railroader magazine in print back then?

aartwmich,
It was, although smaller. I found a copy of the Nov. 1943 Model Railroader, at one of the hobby shops, where someone was selling off old issues. I got it because it was as old as I was.
Pete

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
My God, look at that old turnout. Looks like an old Atlas with the big machine next to it. I would imagine a small drop of WD-40 under those rivets on the point rails might smooth the operation a bit and might even get rid of the "creaking". Don't spray it directly on the turnout though. Spray the WD-40 in a small cup or old lid and use a toothpick to apply it to the rivets.

Nice socks:D :D :D

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
You might puff a bit of Labelle teflon powder or Kadee graphite powder into the switch machine, then gently slide the button back and forth.
As far as I'm concerned, turnout is what you call it when tracklaying, then it's a switch (where you use a switch engine) controlled by a switch machine. Unless you're British, where they call them points, bcause the operators in the signal cabins were only concerned with the points part of them. Call it a turnout if you on't want to confuse it with electrical switches.
If the cork is still holding the track in position, don't touch it. Cork becomes hard and brittle over the years, but can be rejuvenated a bit with water.
Model Railroader has been going since 1934. I managed to pick up a reprint of volume 1 that they once produced as a premium.

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
That is a nice plan.
The switch machine in the photo looks "fried" or at least the plastic is melted which might be causing some of the problem.

Also looks like the track is the old brass kind. It does'nt look that corroded though.

t.

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
t.alexander...the switch machine is not melted at all, at least not on the outside, its just dusty. I honed the track when I first started it back up with what Dad used for corrosion. Now the they just need a good fluid cleaning I think, I've been thinking about one of those track cleaning cars to clean the track and all the car trucks.

60103..thanks for the definitions. Maybe I'll try to rehydrate part of the cork and see what happens. It doesn't seem to be too brittle but the track does seem to be 'lifted' in spots, especially around the curves.

Davindstrains.....those are my 'slippies'..my socks are inside them and out of sight...lol

Actually that switch machine works fine..some of the others are inoperable by power but slide by hand just fine...maybe corroded inside.

As to where the track plan came from..we may never know <shrug>

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Hi aartwmich, I guess it appeared to me the area where the throw arm mechanism is located in the machine looked destorted.

In the pic posted in photography I think I recall seeing a coaling tower and water tank? That means when it all comes to life again you'll be running steamer's..right :D

Once you get the track cleaned well initially, running a (MoW) cleaner car around will help keep things running smoothly.

t.

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
t.alexander.....YUP steamers...whats an MoW?

I would like to get a track cleaning car, I read on some forum or other about a guy who had a fluid loaded cleaner car kept the track and the the wheels of the engine and any car it was hauling cleaned off...is this a dream??

I'm going to my LHS tomorrow for some advice on track cleaning cars and to have him show me where to lube and grease this little steam switcher engine

Attachments

• little engine 800x300.jpg
    little engine 800x300.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 253

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
HOLY MOWLY! what a nice little vintage switcher. I was wondering if you inherated some loco's and car's as well.

A long time ago, I made a track cleaning car by attaching a piece of masonite in such a way under the car so that it would simply ride on the rail tops. It basically kept dust and small particals from collecting on the rails.

MoW stands for maintainence of way, which is what the railroads call thier equipment used for track repairs & upkeep.

t.