Layout help

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Hi,

I was going to use E-Z Track for my layout,but have decided that Kato Unitrack might be better.I would like to get the deluxe starter set and expand that by adding a couple straights to make it longer.What I want to know is if I wanted to add an track on the outside of that what would I need to do that?I'm new to this so it's a bit confusing for me so any help would be appreciated.

http://www.internettrains.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IT&Product_Code=KAT-03-103&Category_Code=HSCTRKSTRKAT

Thanks.
Chris

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
You can buy pieces of track from online stores, hobby stores etc... Im not sure about kato unitrack, im just giving a quick response since its late dunno if anyone else will respond. If its *anything* like the EZ track it basically snaps into place, they come in pieces and you put the track pieces together.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Lay a second track, there should be short str8 pieces about 2 1/2 long so the the curves will go around or use a slight larger curve on the outside.

Rick

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
oldtanker said:
Lay a second track, there should be short str8 pieces about 2 1/2 long so the the curves will go around or use a slight larger curve on the outside.

Rick
Yeah I was going to use 24" curves on the outside.What I was wondering is if I can just follow the outline of the inside set and get the same pieces of track.I know I'll need a left and right #4 turnout to connect both tracks,but what else?

Maybe some smaller straights to even it out?

Chris

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
It depends on the geometry of the curves. Some track needs (example only) 6 pieces to make a half circle, others need 8 pieces. It often depends on the radius, but also on the manufacturer.

It seems with Unitrack, it requires 16 pieces to make a circle, no matter what the radius is.

How you want to add your "outside" track will dictate what parts you want to get. Since you list only two turnouts, your options are limited to the drawing below...

In the left drawing, the "outside" loop is the same diameter as the inside loop. In the right, the loop is a bigger radius so is parallel to the original. You will need extra curves with the same radius as the turnouts you use in order to make the track parallel again after the turnout. (Kato Unitrack turnouts are described by the radius of the diverging route, not by a number, as "standard" turnouts are - Peco also uses this convention.) Then you can use 8 curved sections to create the outer, parallel loop.

Andrew

Attachments

• loops.jpg
    loops.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 113

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Well,what I was going to do with the turnouts is connecting them together by the curves,not one after the other,to connect the outside and inside track.It's hard for me to explain but if you look at the plans on Kato's site you'll know what I mean.I want the outside track to run perpindicular to the inside track.I may just do a simple double oval,that would be easier for me.Thank you for the responses,I apreciate it.

Chris

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Yes, sorry - you do have one more option, and that is to come off the curve at one end of the oval and make the parallel track run around the majority of the inner oval.

I am not sure what you mean by run the outer loop perpendicular to the inner loop...? Can you point me to a picture?

Andrew

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
I included a .pdf file for you to look at.I want to do the same thing except using the deluxe starter set and have the outside track following the inside track so they run parallel to each other.Notice on the left side the left and right #4 turnouts connect the two tracks together.

Chris

Attachments

• HO-plan-3.pdf
    29.4 KB · Views: 38

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
OK, so there's a fourth way! (but it requires different turnouts than what you listed - see below)hamr hamr I definitely need to increase my caffine intake.

The drawback to this (assuming counterclockwide running) is that once you cross to the inner loop, there is no way to get back to the outer loop except by backing through the crossover. And that crossover is made from two lefthand turnouts, not one left and one right.

It might be easier if you could sketch up something - even if it's MS Paint - to show us all what you are planning...

Sorry I am not more help... :rolleyes:

Andrew

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Actually your last post was very helpful.This is what I'm thinking of doing,if you look at the link in my first post,I want to add 2 left turnouts on top and 2 turnouts on the bottom on the left side of the center curve,then I want to add a 9 3/4" straight on both the top and bottom on the right side of the center curve.On the outside track I'll use 24" curves add a feeder track plus a 9 3/4 " straight to even it out on the right side.would I then be able to just match the track I need on the outside to the track used on the inside?I'm on DC right now so I'll have to use insulated joiners on the turnouts,but I figure when I go DCC I can just remove them.I know that sounds confusing,it's confusing to me and I wrote it,but that's the best I can do.I did a drawing in MS Paint,but holy,it looks like a drawing a pre-schooler did.

Chris

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I use flex track rather than any sectional track, but as has been mentioned in a previous post, I think Uni-Track comes in short straight sections of 2 or 2.5 inches. If you slip those into your curves as needed to shift the track slightly, you can easily run the same radius next to another curve of the same radius.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Russ Bellinis said:
I use flex track rather than any sectional track, but as has been mentioned in a previous post, I think Uni-Track comes in short straight sections of 2 or 2.5 inches. If you slip those into your curves as needed to shift the track slightly, you can easily run the same radius next to another curve of the same radius.
So if I were to do dual ovals and wanted all the curves to be the same radius what would I need to add?Four 2 3/8" sections right before the outside curved sections and two in the middle of each outside curve.Would that work O.K.?

Chris