Layout construction, any thoughts???

twilight

It's going to be getting to that time of the year again with the holidays and everythingwall1. And I've been thinking about my Christmas layout I put under the tree. I am posting this question for suggestions on how to make my layout lighter for transporting from storage to where we set the tree up at. Currently the layout is on a 4X8 piece of plywood, devided into two halfs(2X8's[made it easier to move through house]) and the plywood is supported by a 2x3 frame. There is no scenery(hills and such, however my wife's Christmas village gets added after the tree is up). Very simple. What I am looking for is a way to make the layout lighter to move, and yet strong enough to support the weight of some one walking on it while the tree is being decorated. Any thoughts would be appreciated:wave:

Thanks,:thumb:

Mark

Krawler

My first thought without taking anytime to really think about is to make a secondary frame that is removable.

Krawler

nkp174

Well, You could look into taking a 2" piece of foam and cutting the middle out for the tree. You then cut the remaining donut into 2-4 modules. You build the layout on the modules, and place them down after the tree is decorated. If you have small children...install an invisible fence around the layout and give each of them a collar as an early Christmas gift.