Layout confined by walls??

tonphil1960

Dec 29, 2005
North Haledon NJ
The N scale layout I am planning on is going on my modeling workbench as I have mentioned elsewhere. The bench will be relocated.
It is in a very small room no more than a large closet. that is 55"x 9 feet so picture the bench on one of the narrow ends of the room.. with the layout being 50"x36". Is doing a layout like this going to be detrimental or benificial since I only have access to the front of the layout, should be OK since it is small?
Also this setup allows me to do backdrop scenery all around 3 sides. Just looking for opinions...

Thanks Tony I know I am asking alot of ? but it is the only way to learn !!!!!

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Depends on how well you can reach the back of the layout--36" is a stretch!

But a 9 foot long N scale layout 24" wide would look pretty nice, and leave 26" of aisle--not a ton of room, but easy access to everything and a longer run would be bonuses! You could also use a "dog-bone" plan that is big on the ends (for wide loops, to handle bigger locos) and narrow in the middle (for better access space.)

tonphil1960

Dec 29, 2005
North Haledon NJ
Thanks Jet, You have a good idea there, I think I am going brain dead. The only thing is I need the bench in this room so I have a place to work, and store my modeling stuff, books etc...

Tony

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
One other thing you can do is put the layout at about 48" high so you can fit workbench, shelves, etc. under the layout. I have a setup like that, with a shelf above the layout at 5'5" high that serves both as a lighting valence (layout lighitng under the shelf) and storage (stuff on top of the shelf.)

tonphil1960

Dec 29, 2005
North Haledon NJ
Yeah I will do that, keep the bench under the layout, I am going to run staging tracks down onto it from the back of the layout and I can still use the bench for storage and a place to put my coffee.

Tony