Layout Comments Please

SAZ

Jan 8, 2006
Been working on my layout design, and going back and forth on what I think I want. Attached is a graphic of my current thinking (credit to Mike Hammer for the surround staging concept). I have been thinking about how much yard and how much staging I want to have, and any advise would be appreciated. This is my complex staging with simple yard concept...

HO gauge, 30 inch curves -except logging

Layout

Logging Line

The logging line would be built maybe 9 to 15 inches higher than the main level (about 50" high for the main level I think). I'm struggling with how to scenically connect the 2. I was thinking maybe a sawmill at the bottom of the hill with log flume between. :)

Please look for any S curves that you think might become a problem, and feel free to make suggestions on how to improve the layout. I would love to hear more comments any comments people have at this stage.

Thank you!

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
It looks like a fun layout to operate, However, how do you plan to get from the main layout to the logging branchline?
Also (not trying to nitpick :eek:ops:), Most logging operators would sell off certain body parts in order to have as many locomotives for their operations as you have storage space around the turntable :D .
However, Be that as it may, I would say go for it and have fun, even if you are locomotive heavy (as most of us are: "Guilty" :thumb:).
Have a great one!

SAZ

Jan 8, 2006
Hmm... seems I've confused folks a little.

Main level is for main line trains, and the logging branch is almost like scenery. The intent is they would be entirely separate layouts connected only by scenery. They in theory connect some place "off-stage".

If I did connect them... it wouldn't that hard to route as long of helix as necessary all the way around the room (which goes naturally with surround staging). Such a run would probably take my little Bachman 50 ton climax about a hour. :D

Should I connect them, or are they okay separate?

The engine facility will service mainline trains as a section point (sometimes they change motive power). :)

jcoop1

Mar 18, 2005
Hi,

I am do a similar thing but in much smaller size (8x3.5), but I am having a main line loop around the outside. The logging/mining part will be a series of switchbacks in the back half of the layout. I am working on some hidden staging at this point but I think it will all come together nicely. (I hope)

I would connect them so you could maybe have some form of transfer or maybe a sawmill that logs could come in from on side and lumber could leave on the main line to somewhere else.

Just my thoughts

SAZ

Jan 8, 2006
Well I have a made a number of revisions to the design over the last month or so. I've given up on the dual layouts at this point, mostly to simplify construction. I have gotten permission to remove the door rather than have it swing into the room or the hall.

The angle in front of the closet allows me to leave limited access to the window in the room. Construction height will be at about 52".

The 4 tracks in town...
-Outside is for industry access: grain elevator in the middle, icing track on left, and box factory on the right.
-Next to outside is the mainline.
-Next to inside is the passing siding.
-Inside track is the engine service track with station, and water tower in the middle. The siding next to the turntable is a caboose/service/RIP track. The other siding will be a team track with freight house.

Do I need a cross-over in the town area?

I plan to put a tunnel over the dual tracks going around the turntable and more town going up the hill. The single track area on the right will become a canyon scene.

The plan for the other siding is to serve as a lumber products transfer facility. The log train (powered by climax with several skeleton log cars) will come from staging - thru town - and down to the transfer facility. It will leave logs to be unloaded, and pick up the empties from the previous trip. Advise on what to do with this part of the layout would be helpful. I've had countless iterations for this area and nothing really sticks yet.

I've consider prototype locations for far too long. Right now I'm not trying to model a specific location. I nicknamed it "Samhill" for lack of a better name. Has the double meaning of "where in samhill is it?" and named after the owner of GN "Samuel Hill" when my grandfather worked for them. The location is purely fictional but hopefully the operation can be somewhat prototypical.

Going to begin work on the backdrop this afternoon, as I'm fairly confident the benchwork locations are generally settled.

Attachments

• layoutplan4edit.jpg
    layoutplan4edit.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 391

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Saz:
I don't think you need a crossover in town. I would think about changing the main line and passing track designations as you'll probably leave part of a train on the main while you switch the sidings.
Is the double track around the outside the surround staging or a long passing track? If it's a passing track or double track mainline, you might want a crossover in there.
Sorry you've dropped the separate logging shelf. I thought the logs could be dumped in a river and picked up at a sawmill and shipped out as lumber.