Layout building idea

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Call me crazy (In fact, I don't even know if it'll work!), but my girlfriend and I are approaching my new layout a lot differently by building it in modules on 3" foam. We are in a 1 bedroom apartment right now and plan to rent a 3 bedroom house next year (likely next Spring, moving in the winter really sucks). I have never been able to plan a layout and stick to it in all of the layouts I have built, so, I usually plan as I go. This time around though, we're building the thing in pieces on 3" foam, no benchwork, just the foam, 48" x 18". Later, once we get settled in the new house and get the benchwork done, we'll add and arrange the pieces we have built and add foam to fill in the rest of the layout and fill in all of the rest of the trackage. It may work, then again, it may not, but we *think* (HOPE) it will and gives us a head start and something to do now, and it lets her learn to model since she had taken a big interest in it the last 5 years. (Are Chessie & Daylight painted models made for women or something??)

Any thoughts or ideas on this crazy plan? Think it will work? Think it'll end up a disaster?

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Yep, should work...

Our fellow poster/board mod TomPM has been integrating dioramas he built on foam base into his layout and they look very, very nice. Essentially you are taking the same approach as he did. Do a search for his posts and check them out-- They sure are beauties!

I'm sure it will work out for you too! :thumb:

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
You might want to think about some wood on the diorama edges where the track is going to link to another section or diorama. I would hate to see dents or compressed foam from handling in those areas.

Just my thoughts