Layout as Furnature

MinnMonkey

I am moving to a larger condo, however the available space for my layout will be smaller.

The room it will go in is 9'x11'. My layout is basically 3'x6'. This room will also be a den, and spare bedroom so I need to make the most of the space.

I am wondering what others have done to make thier layouts more attractive from the ground up.

The only requirement I have is that is needs to be somewhat movable. I am not going to be moving it around the house, but it would be nice to pull out when I am working on it and push in a corner when I have guests over.

Also, storage underneath would be a a huge plus.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
MinnMonkey said:
My layout is basically 3'x6'...I am wondering what others have done to make thier layouts more attractive from the ground up...The only requirement I have is that is needs to be somewhat movable. I am not going to be moving it around the house, but it would be nice to pull out when I am working on it and push in a corner when I have guests over...Also, storage underneath would be a a huge plus.
Have I got the perfect solution for you! My layout is 3'x4', easily movable, attractive from the ground up, has storage underneath and doubles as a functional table so that you don't have to push it in a corner when guests come over!
I know, I know... not quite what you were thinking?

Attachments

• Overview 6.jpg
    Overview 6.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 361

shaygetz

Mine is 43" x 60". I am drawing up a wall hung case that will allow it to be flipped down for home ops or used to carry it to shows. When hung in the dining room, it will have a removable cork/dry erase board so that my beloved can use it for home schooling our little ones.

MilesWestern

I have one of those "coffee tableau" layouts, and I'm in the processes of rebuilding mine!

Say...shaygetz, what's on the "menu"..er curriculum? Readin' Writin' 'Rithmatic or Reading Wabash and Rock Island? :confused: :D

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
MinnMonkey said:
I was actually thinking of that, but 3x6 is a huge coffee table.
I was thinking of doing the same thing to a Dining room table. Haven't worked out the logistics yet and still have to find a suitable table but I think it has definite possibilities.

sputnik

TrainNut said:
I was thinking of doing the same thing to a Dining room table. Haven't worked out the logistics yet and still have to find a suitable table but I think it has definite possibilities.
Didn't we see a series of articles in one of the magazines where someone put a Z scale figure eight (large, well-scenicked figure eight, no toyish stuff). in the underside of a dining room table. The result was very artistic and modern.

---jps

LoudMusic

sputnik said:
Didn't we see a series of articles in one of the magazines where someone put a Z scale figure eight (large, well-scenicked figure eight, no toyish stuff). in the underside of a dining room table. The result was very artistic and modern.

---jps

Another thread got me searching the forum. This I gotta see! A layout in a dining table would be perfect! Multi-purpose furniture makes so much sense - like a hide-a-bed (sleeper sofa) couch, or a night stand dog kennel.

jetrock

I have seen a lot of N scale coffee-table layouts (you can do one in 2x4 feet, which is a small coffee table, or more in 30"x6 feet) and HO scale trolley layouts (sharp trolley curves let them be almost as small as N scale layouts.)

Papa Bear

I like to paint the fascia on my layouts to give them a finished look. A curtain around the base can hide the legs and any boxes you might store under the layout. You could also use some ready-made cabinets or roll-away carts, although they are more expensive.

I built a cover for my 2' x 2' layout. It keeps the four-footed railfans at a safe distance and helps keep "stuff" from accumulating on it.

DSCF0252.JPG

With the right accent colors, you can... Uh oh! I better stop - I'm starting to sound like Martha Stewart!:rolleyes: