Layout #06 - Trying Again - Opinions Welcome

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Okay...based on feedback I've received so far in my other two threads, I've made some changes that I think make the layout better.

First of all, I increased the width of the layout. It is now 36" for the majority instead of 24". To be safe, I went out to a 36" workbench in the garage and made sure I could easily reach the back of it without leaning on anything. No problem.

The only thing shown in this picture is the mainline and hidden staging. I decided that these two items are the most critical and need to be addressed first. I also have passing sidings on each end of the layout. I'm working on industry spurs, but I think once I nail down the mainline and staging the rest will be pretty easy.

So...let's get to it.

Once again, I'm modeling modern day BNSF in N scale. One other note...the staging will likely be hidden behind scenery and not a backdrop like is shown on the drawing. I put that there just to show that it is indeed hidden staging.

You can see the image below or you can go HERE for the full size version.

aaj.sized.jpg

Okay...let me have it. :)

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
The only thing shown in this picture is the mainline and hidden staging. I decided that these two items are the most critical and need to be addressed first. I also have passing sidings on each end of the layout. I'm working on industry spurs, but I think once I nail down the mainline and staging the rest will be pretty easy.

;)

They're coming. Like I said, I wanted to nail the mainline and staging down first...then add the yards and industry in. Besides that, when I got to this point in the track plan it was late and I was ready to go to bed. The rest of it will come tonight, buy it will be similar to what I had before. :)

Since the yard/industry areas are wide open right now...anyone feel free to draw in something they think is a good idea. I plan to have a grain elevator and a lumber yard for sure. I'd like to fit some coal on the layout somewhere...and I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks. :)

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Hoss, take a look at the sketch i put in my thread.the hidden staging is done similar to yours except i pulled it forward some and put in an access behind the backdrop.you may find having access to the hidden staging helpful for maintaining the track and turnouts.

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Good point. I think I'll be able to reach everything okay based on my experimenting last night, but an access hatch is definitely a possibility. You put yours in the back corner, correct?

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
15" curve question

As I redo my layout, it is very similar to yours! I wanted to know since I too will have a min radius of 15", what is the biggest cars you run and how do they look and work?

Amtrak passenger cars?
Trailer trains, Double stacks?
Auto racks?

I use n kato unitrack. Right now, I only have coal cars.

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
I wish I could answer your question. From what I'm told, any of the 6 axle locos should be able to hand the 15" curves with ease. I would assume that the longer cars can as well. How they will look.....well that's another thing. I won't know until I try it, but I suspect there will be quite a bit of overhang. I intend to use easements and superelevation in all of my mainline and passing siding curves so I'm hoping that will make things a little better.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Yes, its in the back corner and i ran some hardboard strips along the cut plywood raised enough to keep an engine from hitting the floor in the event of a derailment.just a little added insurance. I am also going to be running a camera with a little 5" Monitor screen on my control panel so i can view the hidden area. I may eventually use 2 monitore and 2 cameras or 1 monitor and 2 camera's so i can view each direction.

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Layout 07

Just for giggles I decided to see what a double main would look like. I was afraid it would be "too much"...but it doesn't look so bad in my opinion...especially considering there will be a significant track elevation difference at the place where the tracks come the closest (at the turn).

Still can't decide on how to arrange industry spurs. Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.

aal.sized.jpg

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
heights and scenery

You mentioned that the rear curve will be elevated higher than inside curve. How much of a difference? I am doing similar, and wonder how high in N scale to convey a different town, rather that it appearing to be only a stones throw away? Will this elevated part be done by Woodland scenic elevations, if so what degree incline? Lastly, will the high line be obstructed by foreground scenery? Thanks.

I bought a passenger car and tested it on the 15" curve. Okay, l'll just post a permanent slow order sign on the area.

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Originally posted by Agatheron
Hoss, what are you using for your trackplanning? Software? By hand?

I've been using Atlas Right Track when I'm doing the plans at home, but if I get a good idea while I'm at work I'll make minor modifications with Microsoft Paint. Mostly RTS though...

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Re: heights and scenery

Originally posted by csxengineer
You mentioned that the rear curve will be elevated higher than inside curve. How much of a difference? I am doing similar, and wonder how high in N scale to convey a different town, rather that it appearing to be only a stones throw away? Will this elevated part be done by Woodland scenic elevations, if so what degree incline? Lastly, will the high line be obstructed by foreground scenery? Thanks.

I bought a passenger car and tested it on the 15" curve. Okay, l'll just post a permanent slow order sign on the area.

Not certain yet, but probably the rear curve will be elevated to 4" while the front curve will be at elevation 0. I have a slew of WS inclines so I'll be using them (2% grade).

The highline may or may not be obstructed....haven't figured all that out yet. The only part that I KNOW will be obstructed at this point is the staging yard.

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Yes. I use the sections for the most part (C55), but also the flex track. The entire layout will be done in flex track, but I find it easier to use the sectioned pieces in RTS when they're available for what you're wanting.

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
FINAL TRACK PLAN!!!

Well, after talking with everyone here and doing lots of trial and error stuff, I think I finally arrived at a track plan that I like. I'm sure it's not perfect, but I think it will give me lots of operational challenges and fun for years to come.

Of course, if anyone sees something drastically wrong I'd like to know, but unless it's something major this is probably going to be how it goes down on the deck.

You can see the below, or click HERE for the full size version.

aaq.sized.jpg

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Hoss I was wondering what are you going to use the spurs that go into the tunnels for? Not a critique just a question:confused: and I'm wondering how will you achieve the elevation changes?

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Hoss,

First of all, 2% max is awesome... you should have no troubles there. I notice that you have some areas that are level, and try to keep "sections" at an even level. This is a good idea where yards and such are concerned where cars will be left alone without a heavy locomotive to keep them put. :thumb:

When you start to change the slope (from level to inclined) this usually happens after your "section" is done - typically marked by a turnout. Some advice: Don't start your slope immediately after the turnout... go out a few inches then start the rise. Otherwise you could introduce a "vertical kink" where the track joins the turnout. Also, it's a good idea to have a gradual change from level to inclined. That way you don't have a sharp "point", but instead a nice gradual curve. With your grades being a max of 2%, these issues will be considerably LESS of a problem for you, but better safe than sorry. :D

Also, and this is more important: NEVER change slope in the middle of a turnout! I guess this goes without saying, and it doesn't look like you did this, but that could be a point of much aggravation for you in terms of derailments - ESPECIALLY with Atlas code 55.

I really like your final plan. I think the tracks implying stuff off the distance is really cool - even if a train never heads down that way. How about a suggestion? It looks like the track on the right side is pretty high, and your tunnel tracks are at elevation 0"... so have you considered having it go all the way underneath and to the edge of the layout? This could open the opportunity for expansion later on, and if you decide not to expand, it only cost you a couple pieces of flex track. Just an idea. :D

I think I've babbled long enough, I will get off the soapbox and let somebody QUALIFIED to speak now.

LOL! :p :rolleyes: :confused:

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Originally posted by belg
Hoss I was wondering what are you going to use the spurs that go into the tunnels for? Not a critique just a question:confused: and I'm wondering how will you achieve the elevation changes?

Well, they're more for looks than anything. The red spur is a Union Pacific Interchange which represents a UP line coming in from somewhere else to meet up with the BNSF line. Instead of running it off the side of the layout like is often times done, I opted to run it into a tunnel. In reality, it will go nowhere, but it will hopefully give the appearance of another line going to somewhere else. Same thing with the pink line, except it is a BNSF branch line going somewhere. One of these days I'll figure out WHERE they're heading, but for now they're just going somewhere else. ;)

I'll use Woodland Scenic risers to achieve the elevation changes. I have a whole bunch of them left over from when I was working on my previous layout.