Laying Track

Parker

Sep 22, 2003
Edmonton Alberta
Visit site
Seems I'm not a skilled track layer :( I have decided to go with a 3'x8' layout to start with. I have made my curves as broad as I can using just about the full 36" to make a 180 degree turn but it seems the train still wants to clime the track. I have read the tips about staggering joints and leaving about 6 inches of the last section straight then sodering the next section on then continuing the corner. I have had to rip up the same corner 3 times now and about to go for a fourth. Is there a tip or a technic that any of you could pass along?

Secondly, do you lay all your track in full sections and then "cut" in your turnouts or cut and insert as you go?

Regards

Parker

Sep 22, 2003
Edmonton Alberta
Visit site
For now I'm just running the locomotive as I progress with track laying. As the train goes through the corner the first set of wheels start to climb the rail as if there was somthing on the inside of the rail causing the wheel to lift. I'm not entirly sure how to explain it better.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Parker!
Welcome to The Gauge!:)

It sounds to me like your rails are out of gauge, probably at, or near the joint.
When cutting & laying flex track, it is always necessary to remove some ties from eack end of the track sections...try & remove as few as possible...this will ensure better alignment...this is especially important on curves, where the bend in the track is more likely to pull a kink in the joint.
Are you soldering your rail joints?
I've discovered that the best way to lay flex track in a curve is to solder a couple of sections together before you lay the track...this makes things go faster, & makes for more kink-free curves.
As for the turnouts, I always lay them, crossovers, or any other complicated track work first, then cut flex track to fit the spaces between.
Hope this helps!
Good luck! :)

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Grind baby, grind!

Oh c'mon- Feeling like I was on my first honeymoon. Lay the track and grind the edges smooooooothhhhhhhhhh!

'nother words...

I had a curve like that once- After running all my locos thru (after the construction was done) with trains, without trains...

...the locos would climb the railhead. I went thru the curve with a drill (Craftsman 2190 and a sanding tool) and removed the offending burr/flange of the rail (bottom of the top). After that it was- "Schween"!

Mark

Uhmmm, I think it has to do with gauging on the fly- making a model work. Just because they sell you something doesn't mean it has to work without working it. I can't make N scale rail, but I can make it work.
:rolleyes: