Laying track???

plbab

Mar 21, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Bought first pieces of flex track yesterday and cork roadbed. Does the moveable rail go on the inside or outside? What is best way to put roadbed down? Any tricks on puttting spikes through ties into plywood without bending track causing dip in track?

Thanks

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I just barely let the nail head touch the tie. Sometimes it doesn't even touch the tie at all, After you ballst the track the nails can be removed for a more prototypical look.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Plbab,
with Peco flextrack (that I use) both rails are moveable. What brand are you using? Nailing the track down, I drill a small hole in the tie first, then nail it down, but certainly not as far as to "bend" the tie.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I've had flex track where one rail didn't move. I think I would try to put that on the outside because then you would cut off the inside rail which would extend beyond the ties. Are there enough gaps in the plastic between the ties that you can do this? In other words, will it bend enough with the fixed rail outside?

If you're using lengths less than a full yard, you'll be cutting both rails and it won't matter.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
When I lay flex track I don't care which side the sliding rail is on, so long as it stays on the same side throughout the curve. I recommend you do not cut the inside rail to match the outer rail. Staggered joints are a good thing. If the sliding rail is on the outside, when first piece is laid, the outer rail will be shorter than the inside rail. Use a chisel knife to remove "spikes" from tie tops where rail joiner will be, slide the rail from next piece thru remaining "spikes" on first piece, you may need to use needlenose pliers to get rail into joiner. Continue this way till you need to have ends same length for a turnout. I believe Shamus posted a very detailed description of this some months ago, it may be on his website.

Gary