laying road bed

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by cpNscale, Nov 14, 2003.

1. cpNscale

cpNscale Member

Just recently returned to the hobby after a 20 year drought.Use to model HO but was young with limited money so didn't get much experiance with road bed and such.
    Now im model n scale and need advise on laying cork road bed on turn outs.
  2. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

cpNscale,

I'm getting ready to do exactly this on my NTRAK module. If you are patient, I will photograph the process and post it here for you. I don't waste money on the pre-fab turnout pieces of cork, when the long strips can be used just as easily. Give me a day or two and I will post the process.

-Alex
  3. cpNscale

cpNscale Member

Thanks that would be great.I can wait to do it right.
  4. NScale

NScale Member

Hope you can share this with us Arlaghan. I would like to see that done because I am just before laying new track myself.
    Thanks!
  5. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

In the meantime...

Rather than have you wait, I took a picture of an already completed area of a turnout for demonstration purposes. If my explanation is good enough for this picture, you can get busy - I will still take pictures of the process tomorrow or the day after, however.

(To make this easier to explain, I have labeled the 4 pieces of cork A, B, C, and D in the picture, and outlined them in green.)

Here's what I do:

You should have your track plan drawn out already, it makes this a lot easier. First I lay the easy complete sections (A and B).

Next, I take a strip of cork, and lay it along C. I let it overhang completely over the top of piece B. I tack it down with pins, then, along where it meets B, I cut it with an X-acto knife. Should have a nice pointy end. Glue it down.

After C is down, I take piece D and do the same thing - let it overhang completely over C and pin it down. Taking my X-acto knife, I cut piece C removing the beveled edge where piece D covers it (the big white arrow). When that is removed, I then cut piece D along where it meets piece C and glue it down.

If you follow these steps, its pretty easy and you can cork your entire layout fairly quickly. The trick is to have LOTS of pins handy. I bought two packs of 100 and found that is not enough! :D :D

Attached Files:

6. NScale

NScale Member

Cool! That looks purty easy and makes a neat looking job of it.
    Thanks for sharing! :)
  7. Hoss

Hoss Member

That's EXACTLY how I do mine. Piece of cake and works like a charm. :)
  8. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

agree:) :) Good job. :) :)
  9. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

Guys,

As promised, I made a more detailed, step-by-step how-to for laying cork roadbed under turnouts. Turns out the area I did was a crossover, which is a little more work, but I think it came out nice. Here is the thread.

-Alex