Launch when ready!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Revell-Fan, Feb 17, 2013.

1. DanBKing

DanBKing Dan the Man

Looking SWEET!!!!!
  2. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE

looking real good!
  3. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

Thank you all! :thumb:

Here are some of the first greeblies. I've begun with the rear section. The shape of them is partially preliminary and will be updated on-the-fly. The flat ones serve only for display purposes. They will be redrawn as soon as the texture is applied. Later they will be exported as flat pieces which are laminated to cardboard before they are attached to the surface.

The greeblies on the surfaces between the engines will be made in the same way because they are all flat. I'm thinking of using real wires for the wire greeblies on the tubes behind the intakes and supplying optional paper parts in the final plans. This will give the model more depth and the areas will even look better than they do on the Revellogram model.

Stay tuned! :wave:

Attached Files:

• v15.jpg
      v15.jpg
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
    • v16.jpg
      v16.jpg
      File size:
      54.5 KB
      Views:
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  4. ShadowHawk141

ShadowHawk141 Member

This is realy starting to look fantastic.

If you go on like this your Viper will look tons better then the Revellogram.
    As I remember it was an okay model, but with the greeble options you can put on this one it will be far better.

I'm looking forward to see more and am extremely anctious to see the textures placed.
    Take your time though, I know the wait will be worth it !!

Cheers and all the best,
    Elko
  5. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

It is really coming togather into what is looking like a really fun buld.
    The preliminary greebles look REALLY GOOD!
  6. Revell-Fan

Thank you all! :thumb:

Let's say it this way: This build is NOT fun. It's dedication. :mrgreen:

I'm now tackling the clamps around the back of the intakes, followed by the landing gear. I was thinking about making the landing feet retractable but I fear this can't be done because of the inner skeleton which has to be inserted. And I think it wouldn't be stable enough to hold the model in place. Hence I will give you static ones which can be inserted into the fuselage and removed from it, including opening and closing doors to the landing gear compartments.

Stay tuned! :wave:
  7. Revell-Fan

I'll keep it in mind! However, I'll make sure that you won't have to wait for it for too long! :mrgreen:
  8. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

You are awesome for your dedication! Thank you.
  9. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

The Viper is one of my favorite fighter planes (running side-by-side with the Thunder Fighter). So this will be enjoyable for me, once I start building it.
    As for it being dedication. I am definitely and definitively dedicated to this project.
    I am really looking forward to it.
  10. imcold

imcold Member

You're doing a great job. Too bad about the problems with crappy plans (I think I know which ones are they), I'd have warned you but I haven't noticed this thread until now. I was collecting some intel about the Vipers some time ago, because I considered making a detailed model too, but I left it in the blueprinting stage (I do my own blueprints for almost each model). If you need any help, just let me know!
  11. Rogerio Silva

Rogerio Silva Active Member

2nd!

Second that!:twisted:
  12. Revell-Fan

Hello imcold! :wave:

Nice to have you here!

I'm glad you like how it looks at the moment. The Viper is not as difficult as she looks. The shapes are fairly easy but what prevented me so long from starting this project were the curves of the nose and the intakes.

I have collected all images from the web and the DVD box set I could get so I have enough refs for making her.

Concerning the plans, I kind of expected certain errors because exactly the same happened when I was making the Colonial Blaster. The Blaster however was so much more complex which made the corrections very difficult but in the end everything turned out extremely well.

I'm using very good pics of the original studio model, my Revell kit, the original blueprints (the lines of which are not parallel because they were obviously hand-made) and pics of the studio-scale replicas (the latter ones with the revised detail of course). The final look will be determined "by eye" (as usual :mrgreen:).

The only thing which concerns me most (and which really scares me) is the possibilitiy that the mesh might break when I'm cutting out the opening for the cockpit tub and that the parts of the nose might explode into a zillion triangles in Pepakura.

Well then, we'll see. I'm working on the mesh again. I'm doing my best to ensure that my Viper lives up to your X-Wing. CU! :wave:
  13. imcold

imcold Member

Well, I hang around a lot of scifi stuff, don't I? :D
    I can share my refs if you'd like (most pics will be probably the same, but you never know), I just won't have access to them until weekend. I have the Revell model too, but it isn't that accurate (it's a nice model for its age though). Pictures of the originals are clearly the best reference, as I figured out with the X-wing. Eyeballing is just as important, it must "feel" right! :)

My tip: make the cockpit as a separate mesh, after you're satisfied with the exterior (I duplicated the fuselage and cut it until just a section around the cockpit remained and worked off it). I did this with xwing; it helped me to keep the fuselage plain simple.
    Dunno about the nose, but I believe you can manage it ;)

Oh yes :D
  14. Revell-Fan

Thank you very much for your tips! If I need any more refs, I'll call you. :thumb:

I had the same idea on the cockpit. I'll have to leave a small rim around the opening for the tub to make the canopy frame rest on it and to prevent it from falling into it. The canopy itself will feature a hinge mechanism so that you'll be able to open and close it. If I'd go for the interior of the full scale mock-up I could stop working on any details right now; the cockpit of the mock-up was completely empty (except for the seat; it even didn't have a joystick)! :mrgreen:

Attached Files:

• v17.jpg
      v17.jpg
      File size:
      49.9 KB
      Views:
    • v18.jpg
      v18.jpg
      File size:
      49 KB
      Views:
  15. Revell-Fan

Eye candy

Not the final product, but I couldn't wait..! :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

• v19.jpg
      v19.jpg
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
    • v20.jpg
      v20.jpg
      File size:
      29.6 KB
      Views:
  16. ShadowHawk141

ShadowHawk141 Member

WOW... just... WOW !!!

That looks brilliant to say the least.....

I am so going to build this one. I dunno how you guys do it but you've got my deepest respect.
    I bought Pepakura designer and been toying around with it a bit but It's way beyond my grasp.
    I use it only for exporting pdo files to bmp's so I can tweak them to my preference.

What you and Rhaven do is absolutely mindblowing.
    Why didn't I discover papercraft and this forum so much earlier ? :)

Cheers and all the best,
    Elko
  17. Revell-Fan

Big WOW from me, too! Such a quick response! :thumb:

Thank you! :wave:
  18. DanBKing

DanBKing Dan the Man

Like I said: This is going to be THE Viper paper model.

RF... BRING IT ON!!!!!!:thumb:

I am REALLY excited about this ...... YES YES YES YES!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:
  19. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

Amazing! You are a master designer Marcell!
  20. Rogerio Silva

Rogerio Silva Active Member

Gimme gimme!

I like BSG, both of them, but I'm not much of a fan... BUT I MUST HAVE THIS FIGHTER!
    I say, and I think I speak for most of the people here: announce1PLEASE, LET US HAVE IT!:mrgreen::mrgreen: But only after it's ready...sign1sign1
    I don't think you would consider letting some of us test build it, would you? Well, just a thought, worth the shot!:mrgreen:
    Keep up the fantastic work, I loved the textures!