Launch when ready!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Revell-Fan, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

Mk II? New BSG? What's that? NEVER heard of THAT..! sign1

Just kidding! Take a look at this:

http://ninjatoes.wordpress.com/2010/01/23/battlestar-galactica-viper-mk-ii/

Since NJ has already made a top-notch Mk. II model in 1:32 using the CG data from the ship pack team I think that we don't have to make another one. We will however be making a cockpit interior and landing gear for her.

On the list is an accurized Mk. VII with corrected proportions, cockpit interior and landing gear though. As you might know we have a 1:32 new BSG hangar bay in the making and I noticed some discrepancies in the dimensions of the bay and the Mk. VII. The launch bay and the repair bays are too small for the Mk. VII, in other words the vessel is too wide for them. I have deliberately stretched the bays and made the Mk. VII a bit slimmer so that you'll actually be able to move your Mk. VII into the launch bay. The original plans showed that the Mk. VII was supposed to have foldable wings. When that concept was abandoned the final straight wings made it impossible for the plane to be towed into the launch bay which had already been built according to the first plans. That is the reason why you never see this happening in the show. You only see how a Mk. I is towed into the bay.
  2. Revell-Fan

There is a reason why I chose "R***-Fan" as my nick..! :mrgreen: :cool: :mrgreen:
  3. Revell-Fan

My "Revellograms" are still alive. :mrgreen:

But I must admit, the Galactica is THE worst model I have ever seen. Even worse that the Ertl AT-ST with his closed eyes. The current paper model is much better:

http://jleslie48.com/bg/index.html

However a new one is on my list. A BIG one. A REALLY BIG one. :twisted:
  4. Revell-Fan

Last but not least the update of the day (not much, but ... well, an update :mrgreen:):
    Jet intakes revised and smoothed.

Attached Files:

• v6.jpg
      v6.jpg
      File size:
      54 KB
      Views:
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  5. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

The intakes look considerably better.
  6. sgoti

sgoti Officially Licensed Smart Aleck

At the risk of stepping on toes (NO pun intended), his Mk II is not quite accurate.

His Mk II's nose- round:

<https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qI2GmLuy0wQ/UG_1sTzYfiI/AAAAAAAAI8U/G_JNR4uayb8/w984-h455-o-k/bsgviperframework.jpg>

Mk II At Auction:
    <http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/viper-battlestar-galactica-auction-preview-fdvao3.jpg>

Difference is clearly evident.
  7. ShadowHawk141

ShadowHawk141 Member

When I look over my plastic Galactica (I just did this afternoon) it realy isn't up to par to todays models either plastic or paper. I was very young then and was excited alone over the fact to even have that model here in Holland. A relative gave it to me after a trip to Canada.
    I allready downloaded the Galactica from Leslie's site and it is nice indeed but could do with a bit of greebling.

Your REALY BIG one, is that gonna be a papermodel ?

Your update on the Viper looks very good, I'm realy anctious to see how the unfold will look like.

Cheers,
    Elko
  8. Revell-Fan

Hmm... You are right.

I've taken another look at the original CG model from the ship pack team. Its nose is a bit "edgier" but not much. So NJ's approach is acceptable. I guess it is a minor flaw by the CG modeler because I have noticed a similar mistake on the New Galactica ship pack CG and paper model. If you compare it to the original ZOIC CG model you'll notice that the landing bays of the paper model are oval whereas the original ones are edgy.

Well, we'll see what we can come up with. We'll have to add a new nose section and new formers to the cockpit interior add-on kit anyway so it is possible that we'll include a revised nose which comes closer to the original. I'll have to figure out if it is possible to alter the original mesh without destroying the texture. But please be patient, getting the Mk. I ready is top priority.

CU! :wave:
  9. sgoti

sgoti Officially Licensed Smart Aleck

No problem there!

I understand completely what it's like to have someone want you to make their pet project a priority over your own- NO FUN!

(Actual quote: "But you're doing it on a computer, so it shouldn't take you that long...")

Eagerly awaiting the results of the Mk I, that was MY show when I was a young'n.
  10. Revell-Fan

I had been looking for BSG models for 18 1/2 years and when I found them they were almost completely sold out. It's good to hear that you had a friendly relative who made you happy.

I remember watching BSG (after "Het fabeltjeskrant") on Dutch televison every Sunday at 7.15 AM in 1983. And every Saturday afternoon there was Buck Rogers. And a few years later, KITT was on the road every Friday on TROS. I even recorded several segments of the shows on tape. Fond childhood memories. :rolleyes: Two of the most prominent expressions of that time were "mischien" (in the subtitles) and "let's get out of here". Unfortunately there was no-one who could translate the dialogue for me! :cool:

The BIG ONE is supposed to be made of paper. I don't want Jan's Sulaco to be lonely. :mrgreen:

Concerning the Viper, I'm designing the thing as a series of modules which should unfold fine. The reason for that is that some elements are supposed to become parts of other Viper models. The base of the Mk. I is going to become the base of the Antique Viper and the Scarlet Viper. So you may expect several recurring pictures and build steps in the assembly instructions.
  11. Revell-Fan

12. DanBKing

DanBKing Dan the Man

NICE dioramas. Well executed.
    I'm sure yours will be better ..... ;-)
  13. Rogerio Silva

Rogerio Silva Active Member

Oow!

Revell-Fan

Man, these are dioramas match LOENF's quality!:thumb::thumb:
  14. Maverick65

Maverick65 Member

Those were really cool dioramas, thanks for sharing the links. I especially liked that Starfury/Xwing Viper ship, too cool.

After seeing those I have to go check in with your hanger deck project to see how it's progressing. I have plans for some viper, raptor, raider, battlestar builds after I finish up on my B5 Omega build.

Oh and these new viper designs are just fraking fantastic...

Thanks for sharing,

Rick
  15. Revell-Fan

I have aligned the parts to make the Viper symmetrical (aft view).

Then I cut off a section in front of the intakes to make the aft part of the nose slimmer. Big felgercarb! The mesh broke and was beyond repair! wall1

Furthermore I realized that the plans I used were not symmetrical which led to a step at the bottom. This was an easy fix, but the broken mesh kept me busy for two hours! :curse::curse::curse:

I finally restored the model (thank the Lords I had saved it before), used a new shape for cutting and changed the cutting position. Even then a few faces disappeared but he mesh could be healed within five minutes. Phew! :p

Next will be the wings and the guns.

Attached Files:

• v7.jpg
      v7.jpg
      File size:
      25.1 KB
      Views:
    • v8.jpg
      v8.jpg
      File size:
      43.6 KB
      Views:
    • v9.jpg
      v9.jpg
      File size:
      69.9 KB
      Views:
    • v10.jpg
      v10.jpg
      File size:
      42 KB
      Views:
    • v11.jpg
      v11.jpg
      File size:
      47.1 KB
      Views:
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  16. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

The Lords of Kobal smile!
  17. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

Even with the problems that you had, it is still coming together very well.
    It looks like the Lords of Kobal were indeed smiling upon you.
  18. Rogerio Silva

Rogerio Silva Active Member

Amen

So say we all!!
  19. Revell-Fan

The main shape of the wings is ready. I have also made some minor adjustments to the bottom and the sides.

Attached Files:

• v12.jpg
      v12.jpg
      File size:
      35.7 KB
      Views:
    • v13.jpg
      v13.jpg
      File size:
      38.7 KB
      Views:
    • v14.jpg