Launch when ready!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I can use the "ExtractWireFrame" command in Rhino which will extract a wire frame from any SketchUp file, which allows me to remove any line I do not need, then take lines, connect and smooth out what is necessary , and make unfoldable, developable panels from them. Usually with a .skp file, that means removing at least half of all the superfluous information. I do not know why that program needs so many triangles to make a part. If you load, or send me a file, I can show you what I mean, send me a P.M. if you don't have my email. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I appreciate your offer but at the moment everything works fine. The only real challenge I am facing now is making the texture. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
... Alright, just for the record, the final model will NOT be in 1:100 scale (I was just kiddin', folks :D:p:cool:) ..! ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
To quote a well-known reporter:

"... we'll be showing you the first pictures of the most significant event in history."

viper-u1.jpg

(Graphics are not final yet. I may check if it is better to have the seam on the top side and have it covered by the orange stripe later.)

To be continued..! :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm working on several models parallel, so you might see some of the older projects pop up from time to time now (depending on time and mood). Rest assured, ALL OF THEM WILL BE FINISHED. ;)

I have come to the point where I have to think about proper support of the model. To prevent the nose from sagging or waggling under its own weight I have added a beam which extends from the back and which will be held in place by a recess in the engine block and the formes that go there. At first I thought it would be elegant to let the beam penetrate the formers in the nose but the first try showed that it would go right through the cockpit interior. Not good. Hence the other way round. :) The model should be as sturdy as the Colonial Blaster. :cool:

v42.jpg

So far I have unfolded the whole nose (without formers). I am experimenting with the texture and think that unlike my first plan (to use the projected texture) I will follow the example of the Aurora in order to ensure that the thickness of the lines remains consistent in all parts.

Several lines have to be cleaned up and altered because the right side differs slightly from the left side. This fact is not well known because the Viper model was prominently photographed from the left side (as shown above). :snaphappy:

Last edited:

blake7

Maybe it is just Chrome browser, but every time the coffee/ tea ad starts my page jumps to center the commercial. Revell Fan that looks a little like the toy (SCARAB FIGHTER). If you look at the front of the toy.

toy 01.jpg toy 02.jpg toy 03.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, cool! Indeed, Mattel re-used the nose section of their Colonial Viper toy for the Scarab. It was supposed to be a mix and match system for extended and creative play. I was thinking of alternative ways of assembly but the design dictates that a separate nose piece and one solid engine block are the only ways to go. BTW, it seems that the toy cockpits were better equipped than the real ones, including the mockups. :)

ASC Mclaren

Hey, cool! Indeed, Mattel re-used the nose section of their Colonial Viper toy for the Scarab. It was supposed to be a mix and match system for extended and creative play. I was thinking of alternative ways of assembly but the design dictates that a separate nose piece and one solid engine block are the only ways to go. BTW, it seems that the toy cockpits were better equipped than the real ones, including the mockups. :)
I hate to say, the Scarab had a much shorter nose then the Viper. I would post pictures, but I am afraid to go searching in the garage. :(

That said, I am happier then Starbuck with a new, can't lose system for Pyramid!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Great work in progress! Every time I hear the word "Texture", I cringe! You have this aspect mastered, so that leaves us with anticipation of aa hot looking Viper!! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Six pages have been unfolded so far. Now I have to decide how to break down the engine assembly. One critical step is to align the wings and fin correctly. Since the engines are simple tubes there is no straight surface to anchor the wings and the fin. However, there must be a straight surface to place them correctly and keep them in that position over a long term. A conventional "glue-it-to-the-surface" would result in floppy wings which are undoubtedly going to sag and break off. To combine both premises I have decided to deviate from the mere tube design of the engines. Each of them will consist of two halves which are glued to a strong and straight middle piece. The wing / fin is put over it like a hat then. This sketch should show you what I mean:

v43a.jpg

This technique was a bit influenced by the wing construction of Martin Saenger's Thunderfighter. :cool:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I keep reading the title of this thread as "Lunch, when ready", then I get hungry! :)

ShakeShack.jpg

starbuck

Thats a plan which should work fine. I have build two different existing models of the Viper, and it is really not easy to fix the fin correctly without any helpers like the middle piece.