Latest Project "Weathered"

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Here it is all weathered and ready to be placed on my NEW Badger Creek in the near future.
Shamus
fish1.jpg

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thanks

Hi Jim,
I use graphite chaulks to weather almost everything, then a spray of dullcote to finish it off.

shamus

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Shamus;

Fabulous job. Anyone of us would be proud to have it on our layouts. I would imagine most of us would change our layouts to accommodate having such a great structure. I would!

I'm just a bit surprised that after all the times I saw the fish "plaice" on the menu when we were in the UK that it isn't advertised on your sign. Also had the opportunity to eat great salmon in both the UK and Ireland.

Bob

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
scratchbuilt

Shamus, that is fantabulous, as always. By real coincidence I had just picked up the first issue of Model Railroading (I had never seen this mag before), and they had an articleon the Franklin & South Manchester. Lo and behold, but what to my wondering eyes should appear bu possibly the photo you used to model Hank's Fish. What an amazing job you do.

Now a question; you used cardboard and wood, and the card was cracker box. Did you cut individual slats for the board siding and glue it on the card? Compared to your talent, I'd like to do some bldg like that, but I'd be lucky to manage an outhouse.

Beautiful pics, ad congratulation on being published. I'll have to get out and get a copy.

Lynn

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thanks one and all

Hi Lynn,
Thanks for the kind words.
I scratchbuilt the structure the same way as my article on scratchbuilding which is in the Academy/archive section here in the gauge. I always use stripwood which is individually placed and glued one at a time onto the Card (Kellogg’s Cornflakes packet)

Here's a photo of another one of my structures up close to show the stripwood etc, by the way, the roof shingles where all done one at a time. -- (100's of them)
shamus

Attachments

• noc52.jpg
    noc52.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 138

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
scratchbuild

Shamus, you make me sick !!!!! That fish market was absolutely the greatest- - - - - until you showed this last building. I really have no words to adequately describe it. This puts a whole new meaning out for scratchbuilt. I'm not just blowing smoke at you. You have given me an enthusiasm and impetis to start scratchbuilding myself. I've got a lot of kits I haven't put together, but They will have to wait. I've got several ideas to do first.

You can imagine, but you'll never know how much you add to us duffer modelers. Thanks again for everything

Lynn

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Shamus;

If you are comfortable sharing the information I would be interested to know about how much time you spent in building either or both of the structures.

I'm assuming there isn't a great deal of actual cost involved as you are not dealing in great quantities, but I'd be curious about cost too.

Both of them are truly credits to the hobby. Imagine some day I'll pick up the latest MR or whatever and see one or both featured.

Bob

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thanks to one and all.

Originally posted by Bob Collins
Shamus;

If you are comfortable sharing the information I would be interested to know about how much time you spent in building either or both of the structures.

I'm assuming there isn't a great deal of actual cost involved as you are not dealing in great quantities, but I'd be curious about cost too.

Both of them are truly credits to the hobby. Imagine some day I'll pick up the latest MR or whatever and see one or both featured.

Bob

Bob, The fish structure to me two weeks to make at around 3 hours per day.(Being 65 I have all the time in the world) The cost around $7 - $10 or less per structure depending on how much stripwood is needed. I have around 20 plus scratchbuilt structures on Badger Creek with a further new one I have just started. Sometimes I just either sell or trash an old structure and replace it with a new one. Anyway, I am never at a loss for anything to do.
cheers
Shamus

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Thanks very much for the info Shamus. I always enjoy learning about the details of the hobby.

I looked at your website this morning and was surprised to see the ad in the lower right corner for American Train Cruises out of St. Louis. Surprised because last night their train was here in Rolla. Some group was having a fund raiser as they do each year and they went on a dinner train ride down the line somewhere. Just seems strange to see an ad on a website from the UK after just having seen the train inself right here in Rolla.

Have enjoyed all of your show and tell on the structures and look forward to hopefully seeing some more.

Bob

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Bob,

That American Train Cruises out of St. Louis on my website really comes from the Wrailring I belong to, it's an add I expect. I have never seen it myself as it changes daily.

cheers
Shamus

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
scratchbuilt

Shamus, I knew there would be a light at the end of the tunnel, and with my brain powering it, it was a 5 watt bulb. I read these articles on Hanks place, then you showed that other picture. I went back and rereread the academy, and lo and behold, a faint glow in the darkness. You and several others talked about CARD, but I figured it was something in the UK. Your strip board is something that threw me off a bit. Is that the same as balsa wood strips?

I know the alkternative is not very enticing, but don't get old. You lined everything out as simple as can be, even drew pictures, and see how long it took me to get it. Live and learn, but it sure does slow the learning. That grimy green house with a tin roof, to me, was the epitome of reality and real life.

Oh well. I did finally get it. I can't see any way you could have made it any plainer. I'm not really slow, mind you, but I have 3 hours on-the-job training before every meal so I can find my mouth.

Later
Lynn

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Stripwood

Hi Lynn,
Stripwood isn't balsa wood but a semi hardwood, the stuff I use is 1/8" wide by 1/64" thick and come in lengths around 2 foot long and cost around 6p UK don't know how much that would be in $'s around 12 cents maybe per strip (Guessing)
I buy them in 100 packs at a time. They come in two colours 1- Dark red and 2- light tan.
Hope this helps.
cheers
Shamus

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Shamus, do you scratchbuild the windows & if so do you build a jig to preassembe them? If you purchase them, where do you buy them? That style is exactly what I need to scratchbuild my daughters 200yr old farm house. I know that isn't old in Europe but here in the States it's a relic. Take care, Jim

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Jim,
The windows were from Walthers Catalogue and are called "Station Windows H0" around 3/4" by 3/8"

cheers
Shamus

jimnrose

Feb 1, 2001
Orleans Ma. USA
Visit site
Thanks Shamus; I found the Station windows (Grandt) but I need 24" x 48" (1/4" x 1/2") because in the north country the older homes had small windows and lower ceilings due to the harsh winters versus larger windows and higher ceilings in the south where the weather concerns were hot summers. I'll probably use the Grandt 16 pane window and cut out the mullions, if I don't locate teh 4 pane window in the smaller size. It's great having a pro lead the way. Take care, Jim