• I don't have MT couplers on anything

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have both types of couplers on my equiment

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
In view of the current economy (and that fact that I'm bored), here is the latest poll:

How much do you plan to spend on you model RR hobby over the next year?

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I too, am about to take the plunge into dcc. But,will buy other things on a as needed bases.I guess what helps me on dcc is 18 of my units is dcc ready. then it doesn't hurt when your kids are adults and left the nest!!

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Less ... but it's not the economy... it's that I went nuts buying too many locos THIS year! My COLLECTION of RI locos now seems to be a hobby unto itself. I'm trying to get models of the RI's major motive power AND examples of the different color schemes ... I hear ya about each car having a dedicated loco, BDC!

Of course, Steward IS coming out with that RI U-boat, and Atlas and MRC WILL have new DCC systems out next year ......... this vote may turn out like most New Year's resolutons !!!

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
I, too, seem to be a motive power nut. At this point, I have no layout on which to run my collection, and many other pieces of rolling stock, too. Maybe the next year will be the year that I actually get something started. I plan to use DCC from the start (and all my locos are already DCC-ready), so that may increase the expenditures somewhat. On the other hand, if I still procrastinate and don't get anything started, expenditures might actually decrease (although I doubt it). Time will tell.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
If " I don't know" is the same as "about the same" that's why I voted that way:D At this point I see my major expenses for the coming year being whatever the cost will be to construct the scenery and aquire the buildings for my layout. Last year cost plenty with all of the benchwork, trackage, power, wiring, very limited rolling stock and locomotive power.

I also had hoped to complete the project in a year, but that won't happen as I'm well into the tenth month without having started working on scenery. I think it is probasbly realistic to think it will be at least another year before I can see the end. That's fine. I've truly enjoyed every minute of it and although totally ignorant about just how I'm going to do it and what I am going to do, I look forward to getting started on the scenery, probably after Christmas.

Bob

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
I tend to spend more in the winter months than the summer due to the fact that my Golf days are numbered in the winter. (I am a warm weather player with an electric trolley (LAZY))
Shamus

mav_uk

Sep 26, 2001
Near Amsterdam
Visit site
Well it's not really budget that's going to stop me. I got my train and track (some of it at least) this year and next I have to build a permanent place for it. I've got a room, I have enough wood to make a table - but time and where to put the room full of unpacked boxes from when I moved in last year are going to be major concerns! At a guess I would say that buying the rest of the track that I need, a few more carages for my TGV and a Dutch ICE will be what I get - maybe about 1000 to 1500 euro over the 12 months! Of course, knowing my luck I'll never find anywhere for those boxes and be in this situation until this time next year!:rolleyes:

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge mav_uk from near Amsterdam. Glad to have you on board. Please jump into all the conversations. We might even begin a thread on where we think you might put those boxes so you can get on with your layout. How about leaving the boxed where they are and building a shelf layout?

I've had a number of rides on the ICE, but am still waiting to take my first trip on the TGV

Anyway, welcome.

Bob

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Welcome, mav_uk!
It's so wonderful that we have such an international community here!
As far as my RR budget, I'm not going to be spending too much anytime soon. So far, except for the turnouts, my entire layout (very small N scale) has been built out of things that I've had lying around for the past few years. I even thought about calling it the "Scrap Box Central"! :D
I do need some coupler conversion kits though, & of course, as always some new rolling stock. There are train shows coming to my area in Feb. & Mar., & I can find plenty to keep me busy till then! Even though this layout is small, I'm packing it with lots of structures, & lots of detail!

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Charlie;

I agree with you regarding the fun with this being such an international website. Since I signed on here for the first time about nine months ago I have found new friends on several continents, including Australia, Europe and Africa, and of course our wonderful moderator from jolly England, off to the north of the Cotswolds, modeling California redwood logging!! What fun.

Charlie, where are you that train shows are going to be close by?

Bob

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Bob!
I live in Louisville, Ky, & the GATS show will be here at the begining of Feb. (2nd, & 3rd, I believe), & our local div. of the NMRA (div.8) always has a swap meet sometime in March. (don't know the exact date on that one yet)
You live in Mo. right? You have a much more active scene than we do here. In fact, you don't need to wait as long as I do, if you're near Joplin. There's a swap meet there tomorrow, at a place called Schiffdecker Park. (Is there a train museum there?) Also the GATS show is in Kansas City Dec. 8 & 9.
And let's not forget St. Louis, my friend! Whenever I'm lucky enough to visit there, I feel like I've died, & gone to RR Heaven! They say all roads lead to Rome - well, all RAILroads lead to St. Louy! :D

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Spent a couple of days in Louisville not long ago. Stayed at the Seelbach and attended a Rotary zone meeting. Visited Churchill Downs and the Louisvill Slugger factory while I was there. Enjoyed both and likesd Louisville too.

I'm about 100 miles from St. Louis and, of course, visit my favorite train store just about every time I go into town. Joplin is 170 miles and I don't get down that way often, but I am in Kansas City from time to time to visit grandchildren and their parents.

I need to start watching the train show schedule in Model Railroader more closely.

Bob