latest effort

davidstrains

I found another source of materials while cleaning out an office file the other day. We used "invitation" sized cards to send out new product announcements. the company logo changed so these cards were no longer needed. They became the materials for the Matthyro Freight Terminal that will be one of several backdrop buildiings behind my yard. Here is the card stock.

Attachments

• web matthyro freight0011.jpg
    web matthyro freight0011.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 313

davidstrains

and here is a rear view of the construction project. There are 118 windows in the building. I used the fiber glass drywall tape for the pane dividers and pieces of the plastic covering for a bulk pack of ink-jet printer ink for the "glass. The structure is about 18.25" x 5.5" x 1.25". The covering is a "brick" paper made from the pattern that TomPM sent several months ago.

Attachments

• web matthyro freight0002.jpg
    web matthyro freight0002.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 294

davidstrains

and here is the structure. I still need to add the doors but I wanted to put it on the layout because I am expecting the "Gauge" car any day now.

Attachments

• web matthyro freight0008.jpg
    web matthyro freight0008.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 277

davidstrains

Clerk,

The yard piece is about 8' long but I only left about 1 1/2" between the last track and the wall which was not too smart. It rather limits what can go in there. And I didn't want to use one of the background posters. I think that I will put 2 more smaller units in there for effect. I am watching the Walthers (THS) mailers and the MR ads for ideas. I am naming these structures for the "cardboard" builders here on the Gauge.

spitfire

Wow David that is beautiful work! Great idea for the windows too. I think that windows are the hardest part of scratchbuilding, unless you have $$$ for Grant Line that is.

Really well done!

cheers
Val

chapmon

OUTSTANDING BUILDING & IDEAS

David:

I'm currenly building an industrial style building, and I think your effort with this building is simply breath-taking.

I like your ideas and hope you don't mind if I copy them.

What size are your windows and doors, and what spacing did you use. It look's just perfect to me for an industrial warehouse/
mfg type building. I too don't have a lot of space (2' deep) around the walls, and am always looking for unique ideas.

Any of the other modelers out there who have a great idea, I'm all ears!!!:cool: :cool: :cool:

davidstrains

Re: OUTSTANDING BUILDING & IDEAS

Originally posted by chapmon
David:

I like your ideas and hope you don't mind if I copy them.

What size are your windows and doors, and what spacing did you use. It look's just perfect to me for an industrial warehouse/
mfg type building. I too don't have a lot of space (2' deep) around the walls, and am always looking for unique ideas.

mind? heck no:) :) :) That is what the Gauge is all about. I am using a lot of techniques in my buildings that I have picked up from other Gaugers here in the various forums. Copy away.

I built the small windows on this structure 1/4" wide by 7/16" tall space 1/4" apart for the most part.

The middle sized windows are 13/16" x 11/16" again spaced 1/4".

The large windows are 13/16" x 1 1/16".

The small doors are 1/4" x 7/16" The freight doors are 9/16' x 11/16".

Remember I am modeling N-scale here. Your results may vary, etc. etc.

My small windows in this structure are actually about 1/8" to large. They are supposed to represent an opening of about 3'x6'.

I measured one set then traced the other and made the second set too wide. But the effect is okay. There are supposed to be 8 window panes instead of 10 but if you didn't know better you probably wouldn't notice it.

Watch out for the scratch-building bug:D :D :D It is known to bite hard:D :D :) :) :)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
David that's excellent! It reminds me a lot of a large building across the tracks from the St. Paul Amtrak station. Nice work!
Ralph

davidstrains

Thanks everyone for your comments. Is anyone an inventor of sharp items? I would sure like to see a window cutting devise for these little windows. It took forever and a couple days to cut those things. 4 xacto blades also. I am looking for a self seal cutting surface for a work bench also.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Originally posted by davidstrains
Thanks everyone for your comments. Is anyone an inventor of sharp items? I would sure like to see a window cutting devise for these little windows. It took forever and a couple days to cut those things. 4 xacto blades also. I am looking for a self seal cutting surface for a work bench also.

Hi David,

I know that commercial printers use die cutters to cut slots or holes in paper and card stock. I don't know what it would cost you to get dies made, but it is probably more than 4 xacto blades.

Alternatively, what about a matt cutter - like they use in framing shops?

As for cutting surfaces, my wife "donated" one of her (many) cutting mats that she uses for quilting. It is a small one - only ~10"x12", but it has saved the surface of my desk. They are relatively inexpensive.

The other idea I have heard about is to use a piece of masonite (I think). It is the brown board that is smooth on one side, and rough on the other. It is cheap enough that you can just replace it when it gets cut up. This is the stuff that NWSL(?) uses in "The Chopper".

Hope that helps.

Andrew