Lashups

jjqgenesis

Aug 2, 2002
Southern California
www.geocities.com
Hello,
I have 2 Bachmann 2-8-0's and 2 Kato Mikado locos that I would like to MU (lashup) but they all have the small, non-working coupler in the pilot.
Is anyone doing what I want to do and if so, how?

I checked the MT web site and they don't list a conversion for these locos.

I have used tender to tender, not very prototypical, with the MT couplers mating but that still leaves the tiny non-working coupler which won't couple to MT couplers (or anything else).

I have placed a loco at the rear of the train and used it to "push" without any coupler mating, but this doesn't allow for backing up and probably under some circumstances, separation.

I have several grades up to and including a 3.8 - 4.0 % and a helper loco will be a requirement unless I am content to have 3 or maybe 4 car trains.

Diesels not a problem as they all have working MT couplers front and rear.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
MT does produce a coulper conversion for the Kato Mike and it's not too difficult to install on the loco, I'll have to look up the number. There is a coupler that can be mounted on the Consol pilot using the box from one kit and the coupler from another kit..... and doing a little cutting which I am loathe to do! I mounted a 1015 on the tender. I have tried double-heading the two but the Mike runs a little faster than the Consol so doesn't really look "right". My Mike double heads nicely with my MT FT's. Interestingly, I have two Mikes: an "early" one and one from the second run and their speeds don't match, either.

MTL 2002 does the Mikado and tender (I used it for the early run but I wouldn't be surprised if it does the second run too even though the second run has the Kato knuckle coupler on the tender already).

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
I have converted 2 of my 2-8-0's pilots by removing the non-working coupler from the pilot by pulling it sideways allowing one of the 2 hooks to disengage then pulling it straight out.
I then use a small flat needle file to slowly ream out the coupler hole in order to take a Microtrains assembled 905 Z Gauge coupler.
Have a Microtrains coupler height gauge handy to ensure that the coupler is at the right height and, once the coupler fits snugley into the hole I drill through the pilot platform, tap the hole and screw the coupler in place, trimming that part of the screw that sticks out ot the platform top with a pair of nippers.
I find that the Z Gauge couplers work well with N couplers provided that they are the right height.
Use the MT #2002 for your Mike, as it has everything required for both tender and pilot conversions.

Terry

jjqgenesis

Aug 2, 2002
Southern California
www.geocities.com
absnut,
I purchased a pkg of MT 2002 couplers from local hobby store for the Mikado and will work on it hopefully this weekend. The young man who does their shop work said it shouldn't be too hard to do. There are extra coupler box tops in the pkg. thinner than the cover on the assemblied coupler. Did you use one of these to reduce size?

Terry,
The hobby store didn't have any Z size couplers and I would have to order them. Before I do that, do you have any photos of your install that you might post? The existing hole in the pilot is really small. I assume going at the filing very slow is the way to go.

Thanks for the info.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
JJ,

I don't rmember having any trouble installing the couplers on my Mike. One the first run, I had to install MT's on the tender and loco. The second runalready has Kato's knuckle coupler on the tender. For the loco, as I remember, I had to remove a cover and the coupler as one piece. Installing the MT and the new "cover" was a snap. As I remember, there is only one way the new cover will install. I suspect you will be OK if you use only the parts supplied by MT.

Dick

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Visit site
Terry,
The hobby store didn't have any Z size couplers and I would have to order them. Before I do that, do you have any photos of your install that you might post? The existing hole in the pilot is really small. I assume going at the filing very slow is the way to go.

Yes, it would be best to go slowly with the filing, as you can always make a hole larger, but making one smaller is a bit of a challenge.
I will try to post a couple of pics once I figure out how it is done, which is something I will have to learn soon as the N Scale Gauge boxcar is getting closer to my Kettle Valley line every day:cool:.
Have a great weekend and Happy Easter to all!
Cheers.

Terry

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Terry,

Two things. One, you can quote a person's post by clicking on the "quote" button below their post. You can then edit out any part of the quote you don't want to appear. The quote will then appear at the top of your post in bold.

Second, it is easy to post a picture. Below your composition is "attach file:". Just hit the "browse" button and go to where your picture is on your hard drive. The picture must be a gif or jpg, and it has to be no bigger than about 100K. I usually reduce the size of my pictures to about 600 pixels wide and they come out viewable and usually under 50 K (quicker to upload and download for us folks with dial-up connections). You can also link a picture by clicking on the "IMG" button above your composition. I hope this helps.

We are anxious to see some of your pics.

Don

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by ezdays

you can quote a person's post by clicking on the "quote" button below their post. You can then edit out any part of the quote you don't want to appear. The quote will then appear at the top of your post in bold.

Don

Unless this comes up as "Bold", you can see that my computer won't let the quotes come up that way:(.
Unless there is some way of changing the settings, I think that all of my quotes will come out the same way as the rest of the text.
If anyone has a suggestion, I'm all for it.
Happy modeling and Cheers.

Terry

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Visit site
As we used to say in the navy, "Belay the last pipe":eek:
I have just discovered that I must leave the part about "Quote" in the message and not delete it along with the un-needed part of the message, or it will not come up bold.
I'm slowly learning things about these computers as time goes by.
Happy modeling and Cheers.

Terry

jjqgenesis

Aug 2, 2002
Southern California
www.geocities.com
absnut
I used the suggested MT 2002 coupler for the Mikado. The packaging it comes in says for pilot conversion and tender but the MT web site says no pilot conversion available. Confusing.
Thanks. Looks and works fine.

Terry (K.V.Div)
Thanks for the photos. I am convinced. Tried 3 different hobby stores but none carry the Z couplers or anything else in Z scale. Now that I have seen what they look like after the conversion, I will place order for Z scale MT#905 couplers.

I appreciate all the help.

Off to family gathering at daughters home. Believe the count of family getting together is 30. Neat.