Largest minimum radius

frenchtoast

May 17, 2005
Just wondering if anyone has encountered or owns a loco or even some rolling stock that needs a minimum radius far beyond that you could imagine. Far beyond 11"

Partly wondering as i'm guessing some of the larger steam locos arent going to like many curves with a radius less then 11"

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I have a 90' SP Hi Cube boxcar that can't make it around a 12" radius. I've not tried to run it, but I can't even push it around without it derailing. I also have a Bachmann 4-8-4 that can make it if I'm careful and everything is just right that day.:rolleyes: I got them both last year, along with a lot of other cars and engines when I bought a layout and all the stock that was on it. I might just put that car on a siding and let it rust.;)

It also depends on the design of the trucks. I have a 2-6-0 Mogul that has flanges on each wheel. It tends to stutter along turns with a radius of smaller than 9". However, I recently bought Aethern's latest release of the 2-8-0 Consolidation, and it actually runs better than the Mogul because the inner wheels have no flanges, effectively making it a four-wheel truck. The slight sacrifice in prototypical appearance is a small price to pay for the performance.