Large scale Imperial Warships

Millenniumfalsehood

We'll see. The model is an unfolded game model, which has a few intersections but nothing that would prevent it from being easy to build.

As far as a Falcon goes, I could probably squeeze in a small model on the PDF version. :thumb:

Thank you soo much for your hard work Millenniumfalsehood :thumb: , i just download them & they are a perfect size.

I'm going to enjoy each one of them in build them in time.:mrgreen:

Satka

Well, I downloaded the Imperial II model
... and just printed the first page (on A4 size paper)
It looks great, I'm very excited to start this!!!

Well, I can only do this in the evenings, between all the usual tasks coming with a parent and family life ;)

But this is going to be a great moment, I feel it :D

The Victory and Venator are next ... and I'm eagerly waiting for the Immobilizer, always a favorite of mine (next to the Interdictor), if you plan on unfolding them of course :)

Millenniumfalsehood

Thanks for the kudos, Zathros! :mrgreen:

Well, I downloaded the Imperial II model
... and just printed the first page (on A4 size paper)
It looks great, I'm very excited to start this!!!

Well, I can only do this in the evenings, between all the usual tasks coming with a parent and family life ;)

But this is going to be a great moment, I feel it :D

The Victory and Venator are next ... and I'm eagerly waiting for the Immobilizer, always a favorite of mine (next to the Interdictor), if you plan on unfolding them of course :)

Good luck on the Star Destroyer! I've got the hull of mine completed and there are no problems yet, apart from handling such a massive model and the fact that I made the mistake of laser printing it for sharpness and some of the ink has worn off.

Yes, I am indeed keeping this project in mind, but I'm sort of busy at the moment. I'm working on a super-detailed plastic kit of the Klingon Bird of Prey with lights, pulsating engines, and motorized wings:

DSC06680.jpg

DSC06684.jpg

DSC06879.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4db4ZL3iGTk&feature=youtu.be

Did I mention that I'm attending a university this fall to get a degree in Mechanical Engineering? :wink: :mrgreen:

Z

Zathros

Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried to use Vaseline to mask off areas you don't want to paint? If works well, but is almost impossible to paint over afterwards!

I hope you post some pics of that Beast when your finished. Some schematics of the electrical circuit wold be nice, in case someone else wanted to us something similar for another project. :)

Millenniumfalsehood

Sure, no problem. :thumb:

I never used Vaseline. Too messy. I prefer instead to cut my own masks from masking tape and apply them via tweezers to the windows. It sounds tedious, and I thought it would be before I tried it, but it's really no trouble at all. Since I've card modeled for years and years, I have plenty of experience placing small paper bits on models. Also, if you burnish the mask, it almost never lifts, giving you a perfectly square window.

I'll post pics and a video. I want to try making a mini movie of a Klingon attack on a hapless freighter, like in ST3, just as a test video.

I'll be writing an article illustrating how I built the model for Finescale Modeler magazine and Starship Modeler. :cool:

Satka

Well, I started the Imperial II Star Destroyer

It's so big! And not so difficult to assemble after all.
I just had to trim a few parts (3 turbolasers on the upper hull, and a box-like part) so that their lower part follows the slant of the hull, but that was really easy to solve.
I'm still impressed by this model, that promises hours of fun (building and playing with it)

Oh, I had a little problem with my laser printer, of which I changed the yellow toner just before printing the model ...
It seems the pages have now some sort of yellow tint, on one side more than the other! :eek:
Well, maybe I'll do another ISD when these printing problems are solved ...

Satka_Papercraft_Large_ISD_01.jpg

Millenniumfalsehood

Great work! Yeah, it is a LOT of fun to lay down on my back and slowly "fly" it over my head like in the beginning of ANH, imagining turbolaser bolts flying past.

I need to get back to work on mine; I love the Star Destroyer and need a big model of it in my collection.

Z

Zathros

I poked myself in the head doing that. I soon had a stunning realization that there may be millions of people who have done the same exact thing, reenacting the same exact scene!

Doing that too much could make you go blind!:eek:

Satka

The upper hull is almost finished ... and she's still a beauty!

A few notes:
- My yellowish paper gives the ISD a "more than used" look, as if it had needed replacement of full bridges sections after a particularly fierce battle :)
- I couldn't gather enough energy to build the 24 support towers for the two shield generator domes (page 9 of the model)
To think I should fold them in three to obtain a triangular section is ... well I just can't do it :(

Now for the lower hull and the docking bays, yay!!!!

Thanks again Millenniumfalsehood for all this goodness ;)

Z

Zathros

She is fantastic. Wat a nice piece to display. You should be proud of yourself. This model is awesome. A very clean build, tight seams, and nice and square and true! What more could anyone ask for! :)

Millenniumfalsehood

Technically, you don't have to fold the support structures into triangular tubes. Just rolling them ought to suffice. In fact, that was my plan for them; I just included the ends so I would know how thick to roll them.

That really is looking awesome! It definitely is an inspiration to me to get back to work on mine, after I complete my other projects for a contest this weekend. :cool:

Satka

Well thank you Zathros and Milleniumfalsehood :)

I'm but a novice with a few experience in this field, but I just love the screen-to paper-to tangible object process of papercraft.
And the fact that the final object is made with low-tech tools takes us back to ... well, crafting, obviously, in the most noble sense

(sorry I'm getting a little carried away, I'll get back to scoring, cutting, gluing ... awing :))