Landmaster; Damnation Alley

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by trt, Jun 22, 2012.

1. trt

trt Member

I've started a project I may regret. I've looked 'everywhere' and am suprised no one has done this yet.

Not much in the way of any dimension, so I'll have to put this as an interpretation!

Attached Files:

blake7 likes this.
  2. DanBKing

DanBKing Dan the Man

Art is an interpretation........

Proceed, artist!!:thumb:
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Checkout this website, they have great images, A sample:

Some people don't realize this vehicle steers by articulating the center pivot. The wheels change when a tire overheats. This permits high speed travel.

http://www.snowcrest.net/fox/landmaster/

[​IMG]
  4. trt

trt Member

Hi Zathros, yeah I found that site. Interesting but no diminsions. Apparently the thing was left rusting in a yard for years, then someone restored it. Good job!

I noticed the side windows have been altered at some point.
  5. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

It looks like it will be a very interesting build.
  6. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Weight 23,000 lb (10,000 kg)
    Length 35 feet (11 m)
    Armor 3⁄8-inch (1 cm) steel plate
    Main
    armament 6 autocannon
    2 bazookas
    Engine 427-cubic-inch (7.00 L)
    Transmission 5-speed Allison
    Suspension 12-wheel tri-star
    Ground clearance 2 feet (0.61 m)
    Speed 55 mph (89 km/h)
    Steering
    system hydraulic rams

If you want, based on those dimensions, I could create a photo with most of the dimensions of it, (almost all of them). They might not be perfect, but they would be extrapolated from the original drawing. Let met know. :)
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I decided to print out some dimensions for you. Except for the 35 Feet dimension, all other dimensions are in inches. This is a full size dimension read out. You will have to scale them. If you decide to on a scale, I could give you dimensions in the scale in mm or SAE (inches). I have saved the file and would only take around 5 minutes. Round out numbers as necessary.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

8. trt

trt Member

Hi, Zathros a great help. I got the same image off the internet and hopefully aiming for 1:43. I'll use your dimensions to double check what I have. Thanks.

Here are my workings.

Built internal structure

And prototype 1. Not happy with 'wheel arch' sizing and shape, so reworking.

Attached Files:

9. mick

mick Member

landmaster

I remember that movie, mostly for the Landmaster vehicle and the killer cockroaches
  10. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Looks like your off to a good start. I saved the file. If you need any more dimensions, let me know.
    Radius of that that wheel arch, the radius of the arc is 46.31" R, (not diameter), remember, there are two lines coming down past the arc. The radius is taken off the center of the rotating wheel assembly. See attached picture. You can see the width of the two lines that connect to the ends of the arch, and their dimension. :)

Attached Files:

• LM6.jpg
      LM6.jpg
      File size:
      87.8 KB
      Views:
  11. trt

trt Member

Some progress. Moved the wheel arch up and stretched arc below to get a better shape. Also working on bringing the front end panels together at the correct angle. It's a rough quick build to see if it works.

Attached Files:

12. Zathros

Zathros Guest

This drawing has some glaring errors. The glass is plane glass and the top of the front windshields are only slightly angular on the outside. It's barely there. I attached a render I was doodling with. :)

Attached Files:

13. jdmozaffari

jdmozaffari New Member

Wow trt, it is nice to see someone finally tackling this one. It is one of the coolest, yet most neglected sci-fi movie vehicles. I remember being shocked many years ago while passing the business that had it sitting out in their lot rusting away. I still looked just as cool though.
  14. Zathros

Zathros Guest

TRT.......wassup!?!...........:)
  15. trt

trt Member

Some progress. I have little free time during the week, but still try to get a bit done every night. Good thing about a study is that you can pretend you're still working.

Attached Files:

16. trt

trt Member

Still needs a bit of tweaking, but just about got the prototype for the front unit finished .

Attached Files:

17. Zathros

Zathros Guest

It's looking great, you have the hard part done. You one your way to home base! :)
  18. cblf49

cblf49 New Member

This is coming along quite nicely.
  19. trt

trt Member

It's coming on. Need to do some slight size adjustments on the parts, so they meet better. And on the build side, need to bring the front together without tabs, so I can bring them closer at the join.

I reckon the triangular wheel arrangement will be the hard bit. Got a plan, just got to see if I can bring it together. 'I love it when a plan comes together' it's got George Peppard in it. I may do an A-team version.

Need to balloon the wheels as the flat ones look awful.

Attached Files:

20. DanBKing

DanBKing Dan the Man

This has BIG promise to be a well cool, and sought after model. Keep it up!!!

Hey, do you get mutant cockroaches with it ???? :)