Laminate car cards & waybills

Hunkiedoo

Dec 1, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I passed a sports card kiosk in the mall the other day, and was intrigued by the neat little plastic cases they sell to preserve your treasured sport cards. There's a heavy-duty plastic case, almost a thin box. but there's also a lighter plastic envelope.

It would seem that there must be some way to use these to "laminate" your operating cards. Put your car cards in them? Put your waybill cards in them? I haven't really thought this through, but was wondering if anybody has tried this??

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Maybe check your photo shop or photo section at Walmart or the drug store. I've seen small sleeves and heatless lamination kits for photo's and ID's. Kinko's does an 8 X 10 (place several items on it and cut apart) and it's not very expensive. I've used that for professional licenses and such.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
In our school we laminate all the instruction sheets for laboratory work. Several of them are already (ab)used :D for more than two years and they still look like new.

To laminate a paper, is is laid into a folded double-sheet of thermo-sensitive plastic. The we pass it, fold ahead, through a gadget with two heated rolls and presto - the paper and plastic sheet are sort of welded together.

It wouldn't make much sense to give information about manufacturers, but surely you got something like that in high-tech America, too. :rolleyes: Prices have fallen here in the last two years - you can get such a machine plus a bunch of plastic foils for about $40. Perhaps you have such a thing somewhere in an office where you work...

I use this system to laminate conversion tables and such stuff I need in my workshop. And one thing is clear: I'll also laminate my operating cards for the layout. Probably they'll last longer than the cars... :D

Ron

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Here is a shot of how we use the plastic sleeve to hold the car card and waybill. The waybill has 4 orders on it, so you just rotate it when you bring the car into the yard. On the layout, all locals switch one-for-one at industries, and return to the yard. No car will go directly from one industry to another. Both this and the 1-for-1 rule are under consideration for revisement.... ;)

Andrew

Attachments

• carcard.jpg
    carcard.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 161