Lakers

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by sdk2knbk, Nov 20, 2006.

1. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I've always had an interest in the ships that sail the Great Lakes, and have gone to see them close up, both in the Welland Canal in Ontario, and at various locations along the St. Lawrence Seaway in northern NY State. One on trip to the Lock 3 Museum/viewing area in St. Catherines, I found and bought a simple cardboard model of a modern Laker. I built it that night after arriving home. The model inspired me to start my very first paper model design, loosely based on the real ship the gift shop model was even more loosely based on. (This was back in 1996.) A couple of years later, I found another model at the same gift shop, this time of the Edmund Fitzgerald (another inspiration.) I've worked on various incarantions of both off and on since, as well as two other lakes vessels. The white ship in the first picture is my first (larger) prototype, the other ships are the gift shop models, including a model of an old lock and schooner. The second is all of the smaller builds I've done as the models have developed. Sorry for the poor pictures, I'm using my older camera.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

2. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

The better picture I originally posted in the Tiny Challenge thread.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

3. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

Scott:

You seem to be very interested in ore carriers. I was wondering what the reason for it is. Also, can you recommend any links to sites that have pictures of Great Lake vessels?
  4. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Gregory,

I've been interested in Lakers ever since I saw my first fuzzy black rectangle out on Lake Ontario nearly 40 years ago. Also, being able to go see them locking through the Welland Canal helps. Before the security restrictions put in after 9/11 (i.e. fences), at Lock One, a person who was foolish enough could get close enough to touch the hull as it slid by. Not all of the vessels passing by are Lakers, there are plenty of saltwater ships (Salties) as well. But since the Lakers are relatively "local" to me here makes them a bit more interesting. The very best place on the web to find pictures, news, and information on them is www.boatnerd.com. Just as people who like railroads are railfans, fans of the Great Lakes freighters are "Boatnerds." This site; http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/R2/jsp/R2.jsp?language=E&loc=VT00.jsp shows a map of the St Lawrence Seaway and real-time positions of most ships in transit.

Scott K.
  5. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

Boatnerd website for Lakers

Scott:

Thanks for the link. Seems like a very interesting website.
  6. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Excellent job, Scott!

I appreciate the extra photos...one of them in the first post seems to be a space craft, however.:grin:

I know you've spent a bit of time designing this vessel and hope you will be able to benefit a bit from it by offering it online through some card modeling shop that offers digital downloads. Please let us know if and when they might be made available online, if you please?

Of course, any extra photos you wish to post would be very welcome.

Superb work!

Cheers!
    Jim
  7. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Oops! Looks like I uploaded the wrong pic, I really need to give them names instead of keeping the camera numbers:oops: . I'll fix that later. Good enough to sell? This one? Hmmm.... Thanks for the kind words, Jim. I still need to get better pictures. My "good" computer and camera are not at the same location as the models, so I need to do some back-and-forth for this.

Design update; thanks to some other posts, I'm now trying to teach myself how to use Metasequoia. If successful, I'll be able to add proper underwater hulls and details to the models, no more waterline only:) Wish me luck!

Scott K.
  8. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Excellent, Scott!

Personally, I prefer waterline models, the hulls are rarely seen everyday, and I feel they look more authentic that way, but that's just me.:grin:

I look forward to seeing how the copper bottoms work out...I am way down at the bottom of the learning curve when it comes to Metaseq, or any other designing program, for that matter. I wish you all the very best...and maybe you can provide a short explanation when you figure it out to explain how you did it?

Cheers!
    Jim
  9. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Here's the picture that was originally meant to be in the first post. 20 of 21 builds, tests, flops, and wrecks included.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

10. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Four versions of the 1/700 model, showing on 2 why it's necessary to color the hatch cover edges.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

11. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Daniel J. Morrell Anniversary

Another unfortunate anniversary passed on November 29th. The 40th anniversary of the sinking of the Laker Daniel J. Morrell. read about it here; http://www.boatnerd.com/news/default.htm Lost in Lake Huron were all but one of the 29 men on board. Scroll down to "Morrell’s Horror Lingers Four Decades after Sinking".

The Morrell is another subject on my "To-do someday" list.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

12. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

I actually answered this a long time ago, but a picture is worth a thousand words, thay say. I was just looking at the real-time seaway map )here; Great Lakes St. Lawrence Seaway System ) and the picture below is what I saw. My home is just about at the red "X" west of Rochester. I've always liked ships, and with all those in range to see...

Scott K.

Attached Files:

13. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Where can we get some?

Does anyone know a good place to buy some cardmodels of Great Lakes freighters? I too have had a lifelong love of these ships. I grew up in a little town along the Detroit River (the link between Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair) and have many memories of watching these big these ships sail back and forth. I'm now living in the interior of BC, hundreds of miles from any water where ships like this can be seen. I'd love to have a model of one.

Scott, I hope you will make your models available to us all someday, whether free or for purchase. I'd certainly buy one.

Steve
  14. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

A good place to buy cardmodel Lakers? Good question, except for JSC's Edmund Fitzgerald, and the two "toy bank" verisions I got from Lock 3's gift shop, there aren't any. That will change once I manage to kick-start my own design program, but then you'll just be stuck with mine:rolleyes:.

Sorry to hear you're so far from the boats now, Steve, you had a much better view of them than I ever have! Glad you like mine, I'll have to get back to work on them soon.

Scott K.
  15. Fred Bultman

Fred Bultman Member

Greg, try boatnerd.com.