Lake

pupparo

Jul 12, 2001
Jensen Beach Fl USA
Visit site
Trying to save a few bucks I went with Elmers glue to make my lake. ( EZ water 15 dollars a bottle times five is 75 dollars Elmers glue 10 dollars for a gallon) The problem I am having it is turning cloudy any thoughts on this problem? I am mixing it fifty fifty

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Interesting idea but I don't think there's a way to make Elmer's dry clear despite diluting. I also wonder about shrinkage or cracking when it dries. I like to make water with acrylic gloss medium...a large bottle costs about $16 or so. It requires several applications to make it look deep and "wet" but I like the effect.

Here's a picture cropped to show part of a river on my layout. Not a great pic but maybe it conveys the idea.

Ralph

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 230

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi pupparo!
Man, I hate to rain on your parade, but Elmers aint gonna work...why? Because it dries flat, or with a "matte" finish.
For representing water, you want something that will dry with a "gloss" finish. Yoyu want it to be shiny, so it will actualy look "wet".
There are many different materials that will give you this "wet" look...varnishes, epoxies, clear silicone caulk, & now Woodland Scenics has a whole line of "Water Effects". (you mentioned EZ Water...I believe these are the little plastic pellets that you melt...I would advise anyone to avoud these...I tried them...they were a nightmare!:rolleyes: :mad: :eek: )
What I've discovered that I really DO like is Liquitex Gloss Medium...(you can find this in stores that carry artists' supplies)...
This is an acrylic varnish, that you brush on one coat at a time, as many coats as you like...It does cost about $15 a bottle, but a bottle goes a long way, especially if you're modeling in N scale.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Here's a picture of some water I modeled with the gloss medium...

Attachments

• trestle3.jpg
    trestle3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 193

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Charlie,

How thick is that gloss medium, and how may coats did you use on the water in your picture? How about what's under the water, is it painted or a sheet of acrylic or what?

I've been shopping around to see what's available and I did find two-part casting resin at Michael's for about $15 a quart plus about $4 for the catalyst, Home Depot has something in their paint dept that includes the catalyst for about $15, and JoAnne's has something I think was called "synthetic water", again, about $15 for a large bottle. It is a one part and takes overnight to dry. They had an example at the store where they poured about three inches in a glass and put a fake flower in it and it dried crystal clear without any cracks. And if you're really frugal, both Michael's and JoAnne's occasionally run ads on Sunday where they have coupons that allow you to buy one item for 40 or 50% off.:)

Don

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by ezdays
Charlie,

How thick is that gloss medium, and how may coats did you use on the water in your picture? How about what's under the water, is it painted or a sheet of acrylic or what?....

Hi Don,
The gloss medium in the picture above was brushed on in about 4 or 5 heavy coats...I'd say it's in the neighborhood of 1/16" thick...this is time consuming, because you have to wait for each coat to dry at least several hours.
To model the stream bed, I poured soupy plaster, to get a smooth surface, After the plaster hsd dried, I painted it flat black, & then dry-brushed the bank areas with Polly Scale Dirt, feathering it toward the middle. The effect is (hopefully) that the bank appears to slope down toward the deeper, middle of the stream.

wolfworks

Mar 26, 2003
Visit site
For lakes or deep water that you want to see as depp water, I use evirotek (however it is spelled);) You can get really nice calm water with this and with a little work you can tease the surface for waves and what not. It costs about $10 for a kit and does quit a bit of area. You use it by pouring layer of no more than 1/8" but you can't get the same with gloss meduim.
Now dont get me wrong, I use gloss meduim on my streams, rivers, and run offs, just where ever there is a pool, pond, lake and so on I use the envirotek stuff.
A combination of the two works great.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi wolfwerks!
Welcome to The Gauge!

You're right...Enviro-Tex is a great material for modeling water.
One thing I've learned is that what's even more important than what type of "water" you use, is effectively modeling & painting the base, or "bottom" of the lake, stream, pond, etc...