Lake Bonneville Yacht Club

Discussion in 'OTHER MATERIALS' started by Essex_Actual, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Essex_Actual

Essex_Actual New Member

Hello All!

I just wanted to show off my other major model-making obsession a bit:

These are all scratch-built at 1:72, 1:144, or 1:196 scale. The older boats are cardstock over balsa, the newer ones are cardstock over foamcore poster board.

They're also sea- (or at least pond-) worthy with RC controls and electric motors giving adequate scale performance. The detail work is minimal because the boats receive rough handling in transit and my fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be.

I can't go to sea anymore, but I kept my Navy-roots well watered:

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG][/URL]
  2. Papa Mashy

Papa Mashy New Member

Your models look great!
    Real skill on show there. Claphands
  3. subnuke

subnuke Moderator Intelligence Extraordinaire Moderator

Go NAVY! Nuclear subs was my home. I like simple, fun RC boats and want to build some. My lack of mobility outside is a problem also. That and not much access to suitable water.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Cybergrinder likes this.
  4. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

essex_actual, your models look great. I have a few sailing sloops I made, a lot of work to make these watertight and work good. Your ships are detailed enough, and look excellent. They must be really nice to watch motoring along. Thanks for posting these, and feel free to post build threads and more pics, if you wish. :)
  5. Essex_Actual

Essex_Actual New Member

I can steer you to the links and articles that got me started.

They're essentially foamcore a/o balsa wood boxes- perfectly suitable for someone... sedentary (I'm disabled myself).

The hobby itself is dirt simple (even simpler than RC cars)- and you only need water a couple inches deep.

USS Hanley a 1/144 "Sport Scale" destroyer can be found here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...911ea35be38&attachmentid=7599251&d=1424640722

And his tug Arkady can be found here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=7876734&d=1431881191

There are a couple of good shops on EBay that'll get the 2-channel (throttle and rudder) for about $35. An electric speed controller will run you around the same price.

As I said- I have clumsy fingers, but I was able to get my first hull in the water without 1) killing myself and 2) hitting an iceberg.

Good luck!
    lyter1958 likes this.
  6. Essex_Actual

Essex_Actual New Member

They're gorgeous at scale, and very calming (until some idio....um, "fellow boater" decides to play demolition derby.

One tip for the malicious and downright evil among us: Wanna watch a parent panic? Hand off the controls to their four-year-old.thumbsup These hulls are rugged enough to take the abuse, and the kids have a blast.
    Cybergrinder likes this.
  7. Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder Member Extraordinaire

Yes for Navy! My Granddad was a Petty Officer in HM RN during WW2 and I nearly ended up in the SA Navy. (long story, PM me if you want the details ;))

Lovely models by the way :)
  8. paper hollywood

paper hollywood Member

That's a very impressive fleet you've got there, EA. Foamcore board would seem a great material for RC model ships. The smooth paper coating should take paint and sealer well. I guess you use the cardstock for deck details. Unlike some model boats, none of yours are ever going to sink.