Lady Di Farms

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Jim!
Well, as usual, you've caused me to have to get down on the floor, & pick up my jaw, & eyeballs! :D:eek: :cool: :D
Fantastic modeling!
That's the best looking dirt road I've ever seen!
How'd you DO that?!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
:eek: :eek: WOW :eek: :eek:

Very VERY nice!! Man everything looks SO REAL!!

What scale IS it? Is it a diorama or part of a layout? I didn't see any layout pics on your webpages so I was wondering. Are the mountains in the background sceniked or a backdrop? Purchased or painted backdrop?

So does dedicating the farm to your wife really get you off the hook for spending so much time working on it??:D teehee (sorry couldn't resist)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Looks great!

Jim that is amazing work. Love the barn! And that dirt road - WOW - it looks totally real! Did you use any plans for the barn or did you make them up yourself? I ask because I'm hoping to have a little farm scene on my layout one of these days - yep, this urban girl is broadening* her horizons!

cheers
:D Val

*no pun intended!

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
answers to some questions

OK gang, the scale is N scale, I do not have my layout started yet, I build dioramas the way I want and plan to impose them on my layout as I go. The background I make on my computer using a program called Terrigon, it will make the hills, skies and put on the terrain you want, etc. trees, rock, snow or what ever, I then use Paint Shop Pro 7.0 and use a thing called tubes to put on the foreground trees or whatever I wish. I can print these a place them to get just the angle I want. When my layout starts they will be transfered to the dackdrop. The barn I designed myself but it resembles many around the country, I think I still have my plans if any one would like them, the silo is 3/4 in. pvc with board by board glued to it (1x6), the rings I soaked in water and glued to it, the roof of silo was cut from cardstock and weathered. OK, now for my roads,--are you ready?-- it is from the old school, I mark the positions I want my buildings and then trace a crude road, then I cut out, a little larger than my sketch, a peice of 240 black wet or dry sandpaper and glue it down with Elmers glue. When dry, I secnic up to and beyound the edge of the sandpaper. If you are modeling the road running away from you as I did taper the road from wider in front to narrow at the rear for perpective. After all is good and dry, and using only chalk and a brush, (rub the brush on the chalk) I start with a rust color down both sides of the road, if you over due it don't worry you can fix it later. Next go over the entire road with a white or light gray chalk, down the center to represent oil and such put a line of black chalk with the edge of your brush then blend all with your brush. If your not happy with the appearance then just repeat part or all and you have a nice worn looking road. Anything Else Just Let Me Know. Jim:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: