L-29 Delphin "Tigermeet" by Modelart

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Nov 5, 2006.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

It's been a short while between projects and thumbing thru "the herd" I settled on an aircraft I printed out 2 printers ago. The Aircraft is Modelarts' L-29 Delphin, designed by Dr. Zarkov. This was one of the old "Soviet bloc" trainers @mid 60s to current day in some countries. Modelart has an E-web site, www.card-models.com which has quite a few neat models from 1/32 scale down to 1/72 and a 1/200 ship. The kit was downloaded and printed on an old epson 870-something printer and sprayed with krylon matte clear spray to keep the ink from spotting. The 1st run kit had one page of tigerstripe parts that was off color from the rest of the kit, but Modelart supplied the correction before it was even printed, a great company. I started on the cockpit as per directions and got as far as one of the eject seats and small detail parts.

Attached Files:

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Lookin good! Seems to be quite the interesting color scheme cant wait for more.
    Chris
  3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks Chris, this was the best color scheme for the 3 versions available. Both the others were "bare metal" and didn't quite catch the eye like this one.
    Anyways I started on the cockpit tonight and although everything fits perfectly, it seemed a bit bare. I am no way criticizing the kit as presented it is excellant but I like "a little more" detail. I kept the basic design of the parts but "jazzed" them up a bit. Also scratch built the joysticks and trottle handles and cleaned up the control panels and ejection seats a bit. I also recolored the cockpit a neutral grey. I included a few before/after parts to show the differance. Image 108 is the kit cockpit, 109 the kits ejection seat, rudder pedals and joystick, 114 is the redone parts, 117 kit part right, redo left, the finish pic is the fwd fuselage sections ready for the cockpit assembly.

Attached Files:

4. Alcides

Alcides Member

I like to see the final picture with that camo. I think is going to be very nice.

I think your work is going ok.

Go ahead.

Regards
    Alcides
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks Alcides, I hope it will come out at least close to the final picture. DeWayne has a 1/50 scale model of this on his site. It doesn't have the cockpit but comes in the tigerstripe camo. The last pics for the night are the finished cockpit and fuselage sections. I left the clear sighting glass for the hud/gunsight on the fwd cockpit. In the instructions you are not supposed to put in all the cockpit detail parts, but I couldn't wait. I'll build up the dorsal section, then build the canopy next to protect all those little parts.

Attached Files:

• c1.JPG
      c1.JPG
      File size:
      32.8 KB
      Views:
    • c2.JPG
      c2.JPG
      File size:
      26.5 KB
      Views:
    • front.JPG
      front.JPG
      File size:
      22.5 KB
      Views:
    • rear.JPG
      rear.JPG
      File size:
      30 KB
      Views:
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Onwards progress. Thanks for the encourgement Carl. I finished the nose section, which required @15 grams acccording to instructions to sit on the nose wheel. I don't know what 15 grams of bbs are but I packed the nose with @12 of em. You can go overboard, I built the Fly Mig-15 and super packed the nose for good measure. I had to re-enforce the nose landing gear with tons of super glue to hold the weight! The last pics show the completed fwd section.

Attached Files:

7. josve

josve Active Member

Great work!!
    The aircraft is very interesting.Looking forward to see more!!
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Some interesting "construction exercises". The tail sections are next to be completed. I started at the very end so that I could insert the bulkhead formers after the hull pieces were joined. The 1st little quirk is the exhaust pipe. You have to cut out the hole that the exhaust tube goes thru. I finished 3 sections and waited until they were good and dry, then cut out the hole with a sharp scalpel. The exhaust tube itself was pretty easy except for the "lip" piece that goes autside the tube, colors the outside part and also acts as a stop preventing the tube from going to deep. The only hitch was the outside lip part is a bit flimsy and @3mm too short to completely wrap around. I should've seen this coming as on the flat page the 2 diameters were the same. I should've planned for this but I just added the piece after the fact. It's covered with paint and glue and blends in ok.

Attached Files:

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The next little exercise was some type of intake/exhaust vents on the after fuselage. You have to build up the vents, they kinda stick into the hull. I used paper as card was too thick for the 1x2x4mm part. You then cut out the openings stick them from inside and work the card bulkhead around them. Sounds easy in theory but the pieces took @1/2 hour to build them and get them just right.

Attached Files:

10. GT5500

GT5500 Member

What a great build, I have a few of Dr Z's models I have not built them yet but just looking at them I can tell they are great and his service is excellent. The Delphin is one of the few Dr Z models I don't have yet, but I defintaley want it, my local flying school bought one from a russian auction and I used to see it buzzing round my house all the time (it makes a sound like a whistling kettle). Tragically the chief flying instructor was killed flying the Delpin at an airshow he performed a steep dive and when he pulled up the 50 odd year old wings couldn't take it and the main wing spar failed. Such a shame as the instructor also used to train in a fleet of yakolev trainers and those radial engines used to sound wonderfull above my house.
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Excellent build! It sure is coming together quickly and very well! Thanks for the pics.

gt - :( Its always sad to hear about thinkgs like that. :(
    Chris
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

As you said Chris it is always sad to hear things like that. i don't fly just because of the many things that can happen. What I do know of the many flyers that do, flying is one of the greatest thrills in the world; risky, breathtaking, terrifying, exhilarating, soothing, fulfilling, not a bad way to go if the Lord decides to call you home! Imagine if you were a sewer worker when you get that call....
  13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

On to more of the L-29. The fuselage sections were finished, the join is a thick bulkhead former that is sandwhiched together, I think later the wing spars are inserted to give it great support. I started on the dorsal sections also which include the rudder that has many pieces and frame work. I think it has to be that strong to take the stabilizer assembly which will sit ontop of the rudder.

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

and the rudder sections. The rudder itself was fairly complicated in pieces and design but to Dr. Zarkov's credit it all fit together like the proverbial glove! With one exception, the slot that the rudder frame work gets inserted is curved. You have to put a crease in the former making it kinda like a celery stalk shape. You have to slide that into the rudder main bulk and the work the connection strips thru the fwd piece. Then build up the fwd section that mates the dorsal hump to the rudder. This all slides down and fwd on the fuselage and mates seamlessly with the aforementioned fuselage. well I imagine if it was done as the goods Dr. designed, it would've fit perfectly, but on mine it may have been off 1-3mm. The easy fix was to simply enlarge the slot into a hole. I guessed wrong on the 1st shot so had to make a huge cavern to fit it. But all the rudder covers the gap and not much strength is lost. That concludes the bulk of the fuselage, I've been waitin' for "the other" to leave so I can start forming the canopy. She frowns on using her Cyclotron-250 mega-suck-vacuum-noise making-dust rousing-self propelled but not self vacuuming vacuum cleaner!

Attached Files:

15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

DUDE! slow down - yo uare making me feel really slow :p I think you and Carl should have a race sometime ;) heh heh Looking great so far!
    Chris
  16. GT5500

GT5500 Member

That is such a clean fuse great job my good man :-D
  17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks guys had to take a break. I started on the wings as per instructions, glued up the frames, wheelwells, formed the intakes etc, and started skinning the wing parts to the frame. They fit only well and not perfect, but I'll show you why I had to trimm just alittle here and there....

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Something just doesn't look right!

Well after the little trim episodes that I found odd since the kit fit so well before, I test fit the wing to the fuselage. The 1st thing that I noticed was the wing didn't match up with the printed outline on the fuselage. wierd I thought, then I looked at the dihedral and saw something not quite right either! then it dawned on me after a few minutes, I had built the%$@%&^ thing upside down! So much for progress..... The arrows shoe the mismatched lines on the r wing then arrows when this was reversed and placed into the left side! To Dr Zarkov's credit I only had to trimm 1mm at the intake edges the rest fit pretty good, so lesson is pay attention to r and l!

Attached Files:

19. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Slow down mate you'll have the whole thing finished soon at this rate :-D
  20. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I would laugh about the upside down - especially since I have done that too :D at least you could fix yours - I am very surprised it looks the same upside down - isnt there some dihedral in there that will muss it up?
    Chris