Kudos to RMJ & Carstens Publishing

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't subscribe to either mag, but I picked up the December issue of RMC at the hobby shop a couple of days ago. I don't normally read Hal Carstens editorials in the front of the mag, but I did read it this time. At the end of the column Hal mentions that the publisher of Rail Model Journal which went out of business and ceased publication made arrangements with Carstens Publishing Company to fulfill the remainder of the Railmodel Journal subscriptions with subscriptions to RMC. If an individual who had a subscription to RMJ already subscribes to RMC, their subscription will be extended. Normally when a magazine publisher goes out of business, subscribers are left "out in the cold." The subscription is not filled and there is no refund. The publisher of RMJ was not under any obligation to try to contact any other publisher to help out his subscribers, and Carstens was not under any obligation to accept those subscribers without any sort of remuneration. The only thing Carstens gains in this deal is good will, and added postal costs to mail out free issues of RMC. Those exRMJ subscribers who were not previously RMC subscribers do serve to increase RMC's circulation numbers which will help in the sale of advertising, but those who already subscribe to RMC don't add anything to Carsten's "bottom line." Congratulations to 2 men/companies of honor in the model railroading hobby/business

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
My association with Carstens goes back fifty years! I still subscribe to RMC, and still like the content.
Yes, Carstens taking on the RMJ subscribers, and providing them "something" for their money, is a class act, and one which is, and has been, rarely seen in my lifetime. I do hope that the RMJ subscribers find RMC a satisfactory replacement, and make the choice to change over their subscriptions.
Rail Model Journal will be missed.