Kudos to NCE

Nomad

I ordered a updated chip for my powercab and installed it about a month after I got it. Well, apparently the chip was bad and I e-mailed NCE support. They mailed me a new chip no questions asked. Didn't even want the old chip back. It may not sound like much, but nowadays some companys won't even talk to you without a warranty registration #.

Loren

jimh

Yes, something like that is certainly nice to see, and fairly rare anymore.

If you look at it from a company point of view though, you really can not blame them for getting tight with product warranties, replacements, etc. We have all of the liars, thieves, and assorted idiots out there to thank for it. You know the type. They are the ones who try to get something for nothing and end up costing everyone money.

Russ Bellinis

I think that practice is common with dcc manufacturers. Our club uses C-V Products "Easy DCC" and has had excellent customer support. When you think about it, someone looking to get something for nothing who asked for a replacement chip for a dcc unit, would not have any use for the chip if he didn't already have the dcc unit he is ordering the chip for. As far as sending the old chip back, the expensive part of the chip is the r&d that went into figuring out the program for it. The chips themselves are cheap.

This is not a slap at NCE, just suggesting that dcc products are not like other products that we use where warranty problems can be difficult issues if the company isn't interrested in customer service.

baldwinjl

Yes, it makes sense for them to do that. If you don't have the unit, the chip is useless. And the postage would cost more than the chip.

It is still good that they did it and responded quickly.

Jeff

MCL_RDG

So what you all are saying is...

...you get the chip after the dip into your pocket. The chip can't be had without a big dip. The dip is always good and the chip should be good for the dip. But, if the chip is bad and it breaks and you don't get a dips worth on a chip- you get another chip because the chip is cheap but there's alot of R&D in the chip and it should get you a dips worth of chip?

The dip isn't cheap but the chip is, and it's the chip and what goes into it that makes it worth the dip.

Is there a good cheap chip that doesn't need a dip? Isn't it true that only cheap chips sink ships?

I once had a chip on my shoulder.

I offered it a chance to advance and it got older.

Somewhere the Marx Brothers need to make an appearance and straighten this whole thing out.

NCE has great products and I'm considering (leaning towards) them too.

Now all we need is a prat fall by Buster Keaton.

Or worsestooges8

Mark

Gary S.

Mark! Very nice, you made me smile. Loren, glad to see you got such good service. Now, go run your trains!!

vanse

customer service

It sure is a sad state of affairs - and an indictment on current business practices - that some quality customer service by a company warrants comment.

Back on the 'good ol' days' we all expected businesses to look after customers but many of the $$ people running businesses now have forgotten that.

What many business owners don't realize is the business mantra that:
" it costs 10 times more to get a new customer than it does to look after an existing one" !!

Just the simple fact of NCE providing a new replacement chip with no questions asked - and it being unusual enough to be reported on here -has meant that many people on here may now consider that company in a favorable light - and buy from them.

Nomad will certainly continue to buy from them - and it is likely that others on here will too.

Smart business practise NCE - good work.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
The thing is, I think it depends on the manager of the store or corperation, let's use Richard Brandson for example.

He starts his company- Virgin- and he has his set of rules and regulations, which go according to his convictions and knowledge of a good way to run a business. The larger the company grows, the more outlets or franchises become availabe.

This person who owns the franchise or manages the outlet probably doesn't have the same or any of the convictions that Richard has, and while the rules and regulations are there, these people don't always follow them word for word.

I think that it depends on the person you speak to- or email- that counts, because you can get a manager that is wide awake and can immediatly spot when it is a good idea, maybe just this time even, go the extra mile and help the customer out and you can get a stupid manager that doesn't spot the chance to put the companies name in the spotlight by doing that special thing of just replacing a chip.

I think, that whoever owns NCE would do the same and replace the chip, but unfortunately for them they have other people, who work for them, that "sleep" when the oppertunity arises to follow the example and replace the chip.