Kosmosdale Depot

P

philip

This is the beginning of the old Kosmosdale depot. The old structure is located in Louisville Ky. The building is starting to fall down. However it is on the endangered species list in Jefferson county archive. So far no funding for restoration. The structure serviced the Illinois Central for many years. I will post the plans if anyone is interested in modeling this old structure

philip :(

Attachments

• kos1.jpg
    kos1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 198
P

philip

walls, windows, and doors

WW&D... HO scale

Attachments

• kosmosdale.jpg
    kosmosdale.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 190
C

Catt

I find this to be a very interesting looking building. I for one would like to see the plans.

P

philip

north side

Northside with IC logo

philip

Attachments

• kos2n.jpg
    kos2n.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 163
P

philip

track side

Notice the water diverters on the roof over the freight doors

Attachments

• kos3.jpg
    kos3.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 153
P

philip

recon with tape and tablet in hand

Everybody: Glad your interested. Its a shame without funding this structure will be on the ground soon . The roof has been leaking for 10 years and people have vandalized the old depot! The pictures posted are 15 to 20 years old. Its a dang shame. Paducah and Louisville run the old tracks that spur off to Louisville Gas and Electric Company. Kosmosdale was a small town in Southwest Jefferson County. Kosmos Company made concrete and brick mortar here since around 1900. The depot is next door to the cement plant....no one cares, looks like the concrete company and LG & E would fund the fix up. I'm sure the CSX company would donate the property. CSX bought up P & L at least part of it.

philip

front

Attachments

• kos4.jpg
    kos4.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 137
P

philip

track side 66 ft not including overhang

Its amazing. Normally the roofs over bay windows usually have a gable or hipoff both sides!

Attachments

• kos5.jpg
    kos5.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 134
P

philip

two end panels

width 26 ft.

Attachments

• kos6.jpg
    kos6.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 133
P

philip

portico details

This is it. Now I'm going to try to build this bad boy!:)

philip

Attachments

• kos7.jpg
    kos7.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 134

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Phillip,
This is a great thread, especially since it's on such familiar territory to me...
Spent a lot of time hiking in the Otter Creek area, & canoeing on the Salt R. & the Ohio...I've walked the tracks a few times too, not the IC (P&L) line, but down on the old L&N's "Texas" Sub. (now CSX)
All these years I never knew thew there was anything in Kosmosdale, except that cement plant, & a couple of stripper bars!
That's fantastic that you're preserving something like that through your modeling!
Do you live in the area?
I now live in the St. Matthews area...

P

philip

old stompin grounds

Thanks Charlie!!! That area of Ky is a great area! I have always wanted to hike that area from Kosmos up to Muldraugh and check the old steel trestles. I'm from Irvington. Really like your pictures from the Ky R/W museum!:)

philip :) iced in forever:eek:

P

philip

walls up/ windows trimmed/portico started

:)

Attachments

• kos13.jpg
    kos13.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 87
P

philip

non- finished interior

Back to work!:)

Attachments

• kos14.jpg
    kos14.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 81
P

philip

materials

Matt, Everthing is made from evergreen plastic except the entry 5 panel Grandt Line doors. I'm no expert at this scratchbuilding stuff. I was going to use Grandt Line windows and then add the transon on top ..when I did a few and tested for fit the windows were to tall into the soffit/bead board overhang. :( The windows have been a thorn in my side but finally its coming together. Another big problem was the bay window...you see the overhang was 5ft ..had to cut the bay down to 3 & 1/2. Just wasn't enough clearance on the portico side. Different reveals/margins on the overhang just looks horrible..anyhow its on the bench ..still trying to get the rise, run, and rake together. That white plastic makes it look like a White Castle Hamburger stand or the old art deco Gulf Station LOL.
philip:)