Kosciol Parafialny

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by Amazyah, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Update; I have been working on the church off and on in my spare time, when I'm not deleting posts that is.
    I had jumped back on this build just before we lost the forum and everyone knows the rest of that story. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I have been taking pictures along the way, so I can still pretty much do a build thread and show some highlights along the way.
    I have been reluctant to put any images up here for a while but off site hosting seems to be working fine now. (knock on wood).
    Also, I need a little break from all the house cleaning here.
    I think I will just take the day off from all of that and upload pictures and work on my build.

I'm sure everyone would love to finally see something happening here again.
    That is, those of you who have not fallen asleep or even totally comatose by now! [​IMG]

I'll go upload some pictures and begin my build thread here, shortly.
    As Johnny and the Terminator always say, "I'll be back". [​IMG]

Russell
  2. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I'm not comatose . . . just resting my eyes . . . yeah that's it . . . just resting my eyes :twisted:

looking forward to seeing the pix and the new cube
  3. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

The first thing that I want to show is the plan!
    This is all the instruction we English speakers get with this kit.

[​IMG]

I'll give a quick synopsis with some additional information, so you won't have to bother reading the first 2 pages for a refresher.

The cover of this 10/06 issue says to go to ZMIANA ADRESU INTERNETOWEGO for English Instructions. To this day, there still aren't any.

The only saving grace I give Orlik is a response to my e-mails in which they sent me a picture of the formers and a diagram, which saved the day!
    Two good drawings , or even one good drawing, included with the kit, could have saved me an awful lot of headaches!

I still love my Orlik models though! When they put out kits that look as beautiful as this one, you can't help but forgive them!
    It is a church, after all!
    I know others have always pointed out that they seem to always have misfit problems but I still think they have great models, nonetheless!

A couple things, I think I forgot to mention, is that this church is having it's 100 year anniversary this year!
    Also, it is located in the same town as the Orlik facility and that is the reasoning behind the sudden switch in genre to architectural, from a primarily militaristic model creator.

I had asked them in one of my e-mails if they had any plans for any other buildings and they said "Not at this time and unlikely".
    They did the church for the aforementioned reasons and have no future plans for any other architectural models, but you never know what might happen!

Ok, pictured below we have the layout for the church diorama which I have laminated to bristol board...

[​IMG]

And here we have the formers from the 4 pages of regular paper, laminated to 1mm stock that I glued up from 4 layers of card.

[​IMG]

The one former, mounted on brown board, is mounted to some 1/2 mm board I bought from Krys at papermodelstore...I later figured out that this piece was supposed to be laminated onto bristol or.25mm (roughly 110lb card)wall1
    So, I had to peel it off and remount it to card. It turned out ok, a little rough looking, but its a former and no one will ever see it!:twisted:

Russell
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

So, it's time to start cutting, yay!
    Since formers eat scalpels like hotcakes, I use the el-cheapo snap-off blades.
    They chew right through this stuff and they are a lot thicker so they hold their edge much longer than a scalpel.

[​IMG]

Somewhere, I lost a piece and it disapeared into the twilight zone. I whipped out my second kit and got the dimensions of the part and drew my own.
    My printer really had lousy prints and I'm old fashioned, so this was actually the quickest way to go for me.

[​IMG]

So, on with the cutting...

[​IMG]

and more cutting, no sense in stopping now, right? ...

[​IMG]

After all that cutting, it was time to throw something together!

[​IMG]

And one more shot as I sit her aside to contemplate my next move.

[​IMG]

There are still a bunch of formers in the pile and I can't tell where any of them go by that diagram....hmmmm......

Russell
  5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Well, don't that just suck raw eggs!
    I guess this forum doesn't like more than one picture per post.

Well, after a bit of studying the parts, I discovered lots more parts scattered throughout the pages.

[​IMG]

The parts needed to be cut out and laminated to various thickness' of card, 1mm, 0,5mm and 0,25mm.
    Back to the cutting mat!

[​IMG]

Back in a little bit and we get down to business!

Russell
  6. josve

josve Active Member

Man thats a lot of formers Russell!!
    It seems you have it all well sorted out :)
    Keep on kutting my friend, "I'll be watching you"
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

holeeeeee crrrrap!
    :D
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Hahahaha, how funny! That was my first thoughts exactly when I found all these other parts to be laminated to thick stock.
    The truth of the matter is that all of the formers were on those 4 pages and all these parts just need to be tick, they are not formers, just more model parts.

Ok, without directions, the most logical thing to do is to start with part number one and work from there.
    The first parts up to bat are the walls...

[​IMG]

Notice all the windows need to be cut out also.
    Then comes the real interesting part of this kit that I really like.
    The entire kit makes extensive use of layering to help give a more 3D effect to the model.
    This may be a small thing but it really enhances the overall visual appearance of the model.

[​IMG]

The piece at the bottom of this picture goes on top of the piece above it and still more pieces go on top of that one.
    This makes for a lot of cutting and a lot more edge painting but is worth every bit of it in my opinion.

Russell
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Here are some trim for the windows...

[​IMG]

And some more trim work..

[​IMG]

one side done and the other side wall comes up to the plate...

[​IMG]

I'm sure everyone noticed my sloppy paint work.
    It really doesn't look bad when you see the model, these things are not evident when viewing the model as a whole.
    Still, it really got on my nerves. We are our own worst critic.
    Can you see my paintbrush in the top right of the last picture.
    That was my smallest and most favorite brush until now and I was forced to go shopping to find me a smaller one.

Hehehe, I'll use any old excuse to go shopping at the hobby stores!:mrgreen:

Russell
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Every window has a corresponding 1mm thick trim which goes behind the wall and then the window pane is glued to that...

[​IMG]

And there are more than a few windows in this baby!

[​IMG]

Here are the frames and window panes for one side wall...

[​IMG]

I went a little crazy with the paint on that second piece:p, but it doesn't matter as it won't be seen.

[​IMG]

Here are the 2 side walls with windows from the kit.
    The doors look different from each other but they are not. It's just the angle of the light reflecting off of it that makes them look that way.

Back with more later...

Russell
  11. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

With the side walls ready, might as well do the front wall, eh? Ain't she purty?

[​IMG]

And the brick face parts that go on the face of the wall.

[​IMG]

I found a couple more trim pieces to go on the front wall. Let's give her a little shape, shall we,...

[​IMG]

The front face painted and laminated...

[​IMG]

And the side brick faces painted and laminated. Starting to get a good layering effect going here...

[​IMG]

Thanks for stopping by and checking out my progress.:rolleyes:

Russell
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That facade has some really nice depth to it! Looking pretty good there Russell :D
    Chris
  13. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Neat model - and looks like it's coming together well. With the transparencies for the stained glass, have you considered a small light source to put inside to really show them off?
  14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Thanks guys!
    A light was considered but the transparencies did not turn out like I had hoped. I am not sure if it was my worn out printer or not. I will have to wait until I build this one again as now I have a new printer.:cool:
    When they are viewed with a light source behind them, you just see a blurry mess of dull colors..
    In order for the transparencies to look good, you have to mount them on top of white card.
    I'll show this later on. We will be getting to that part soon.

The windows I show now are the paper ones from the kit.
    At first I started using them because I was disappointed in the transparencies. I changed my mind about this just before I attach the walls to the formers.

I may build this church a second time with many modifications, especially since I am getting to know this building pretty well now.:twisted:
    I was thinking of getting an opaque white plastic to use behind the transparency.
    I figure this would give me the best of both worlds.
    The brilliant colors from having a white background and a lighted display.

Ok, time for a little more trim work...
    First this piece is mounted between the columns and around the door...

[​IMG]

Then the finish trim is mounted on top of that one...

[​IMG]

The rest of the trim is mounted and the frames are cut and painted, ready to install...

[​IMG]

A view from the other side...

[​IMG]

A nice perspective shot showing off the layering effect...
    Also you can see the bulletin board which I laminated to .5mm board and mounted to the wall in the lower right.

[​IMG]

And the windows installed...

[​IMG]

My favorite looking part of this whole build has to be the front of the church, with that wonderful painting above the door.
    I am really enjoying building this church! It is such a thrill to watch it come to life!
    I highly recommend this kit to all those who even just have the slightest liking for architectural models.

Back with more later, thanks for following along.:rolleyes:

Russell
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Are there any other similar churches by the same designer? Might be a nice compliment build :) I might be considering it :)
    Chris
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

No, sorry. They have no plans for anymore buildings, at least not right now.
    That was what they said to me when I asked that question.

Russell
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

After seeing the stained glass windows printed out on overhead transparency the paper versions just didn't cut the mustard anymore.
    So before continuing, I removed the windows and replaced them with the better ones.
    My printer did not make very dark prints so I had to back them with card to make the window stand out.
    Here's the front wall now...

[​IMG]

And one of the side walss with a little before and after shot, although different sides, they get the same set of windows...

[​IMG]

Now that is a set of windows!!!
    After changing all the windows, it was time to put up the walls.
    I had already cemented the frame work to the plan, all the way to the edges, so I had to cut notches in all the bottom tabs...

[​IMG]

After the small modification, the walls were cemented and put into place...

[​IMG]

Now, it's starting to look like something.:rolleyes:

I'll be back. Thanks for checking in.

Russell
  18. dansls1

dansls1 Member

As somebody else stated, I'm not much on models of buildings - but if I were to build one, this would certainly be one of the choices (there's some castles that would be up there as well). Very nice build - thanks for sharing.
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Time to do the back wall. Out of the 4 walls, it was last, not because it was the plainest piece, but because it had the biggest add on of all...
    Here is the wall as attached...

[​IMG]

And here is what gets attached to it!...

[​IMG]

And what gets attached to that!...

[​IMG]

But first the framework...

[​IMG]

And here is the finished addition with the stained glass windows installed...

[​IMG]

And a straight on shot...

[​IMG]

And down the other side...

[​IMG]

More to come soon...Thanks for stopping in!:mrgreen:

Russell
  20. Clashster

Clashster Member

Very impressive! Great job with the windows, Russell! It really makes this "pop"! I really like this model. May have to consider some buildings one of these days! Thanks for the update!

Chris