Kitchener Train show pics

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
spitfire said:
While we were out in the parking lot, a Lancaster bomber flew overhead, as part of some festivities elsewhere in town. A nice piece of history!!

Did not run into David aka 60103.... but we still managed to have a good time!!!

A Lancaster bomber...!?!?! I believe that's THE Lancaster bomber, as in the only left in the world that can fly. Based out of Hamilton, isn't it?

Nice pics, Val, and excellent work on that diorama Greg!

Andrew

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
galt904 said:
Hmm, cousin Greg looks familiar. Did he used to be part of the Baden model railway club?

Yes he did! I take it you were as well? I visited the club layout and really liked it. I was sorry to hear it had to be taken down.

Andrew, a little further back in this thread MilesWestern said it's a B-25 Mitchell. Here is a link to a picture of a Mitchell http://www.rcaf.com/resources/wallpaper/mitchell_1024.jpg and to some Lancaster photos: http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/Riat2002/Lancaster/index.html#BankingHard
It's quite clear from the photo's that the Lancaster has 4 engines, while the Mitchell, and the plane in my photo, has 2. I didn't ID the plane in the first place, but I think now that MilesWestern is right.

Val

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Ahhh... right you are. Got a bit excited there... ahem... :rolleyes:

Anyway, am I right in thinking that the only flying Lanc is in Hamilton?

NOTE - a quick search turned up that there is a flying one (as of 2002) and one under restoration (as of 2005)...

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Andrew

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
spitfire said:
Yes he did! I take it you were as well? I visited the club layout and really liked it. I was sorry to hear it had to be taken down.

No I wasn't, I just liked to stop at the Baden club as one of the last stops on the Doubleheaders tour each spring. One of my favorites for year to year improvements. The cathedral he built on that layout was excellent!

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I believe that's a North American B-25, not a Lanc. Lancasters are four engine, with Rolls Merlin engines. I know there is one in Canada that is still in flying condition.
Great photo's by the way.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
MilesWestern said:
Gosh, I wish it was a lancaster!! :eek: It's actually a british lend-lease North American B-25 Mitchell! :thumb:

I see that several people have beat me to it on this one. My first guess was a Mitchell, but I wanted to check a couple of places to see if there was a British-built plane that looked similar. I believe that there are two Lancasters still flying; one in England and the one based near here in Hamilton. It sometimes flies over us, I believe on its way to airshows in the nearby U.S. Return is always an hour or two later, and the sight and sound of it is impressive every time.
Val, I talked on the 'phone with your cousin Greg this past summer. He was inquiring about some CNR passenger cars that I had for sale at a nearby hobbyshop. Talk about a small world!:rolleyes: He's done a beautiful job on his diorama, and I believe that he referred to the protoype of that house in the course of our conversation. It looks like modelling talent runs in the family.:thumb:

Wayne