Kitbashing

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Lepercan, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Hello, All,
    How do paper models stand being opened up (cargo doors, hatches, etc)?
    Have a good idea but want saome input.
    Thanks,
    Lep
  2. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Hello, All,
    How do paper models stand being opened up (cargo doors, hatches, etc)?
    Have a good idea but want saome input.
    Thanks,
    Lep
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

You will be amazed at what paper can do............ check out some of the builds here. Some guys even have hatches on hinges...........

Like anything though you might have to think about strengthing certain sections!

john
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

You will be amazed at what paper can do............ check out some of the builds here. Some guys even have hatches on hinges...........

Like anything though you might have to think about strengthing certain sections!

john
  5. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

From what I have seen in this forum, there is nothing that you can't do to a card model. If you have open hatches or doors it just means you are gonna want to make an interior to show off inside!

Off Topic: I am wondering what your avatar is? Looks pretty neat, any chance of getting a larger pic of it or at least letting us know what it is?
    Thanks
  6. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

From what I have seen in this forum, there is nothing that you can't do to a card model. If you have open hatches or doors it just means you are gonna want to make an interior to show off inside!

Off Topic: I am wondering what your avatar is? Looks pretty neat, any chance of getting a larger pic of it or at least letting us know what it is?
    Thanks
  7. Texman

Texman Guest

I'm not sure, but my good eye says it looks like one of the "egg" plane renditions of an A-10 Warthog. I got two engines, a large cannon on the nose, looks like the landing gear pods on the wings. Could be wrong.
    It's happened once or twice! Yes John, I can calibrate my eye to see in 1/144 as well!!

Ray
  8. Texman

Texman Guest

I'm not sure, but my good eye says it looks like one of the "egg" plane renditions of an A-10 Warthog. I got two engines, a large cannon on the nose, looks like the landing gear pods on the wings. Could be wrong.
    It's happened once or twice! Yes John, I can calibrate my eye to see in 1/144 as well!!

Ray
  9. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Looks like you may be right Ray. All I know is it looks cool and I want one! :-D
  10. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Looks like you may be right Ray. All I know is it looks cool and I want one! :-D
  11. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Lepercan

I think you can do more in paper then plastic but then I one of the nuts that make paper hinges.

Most commercial models that have interior detail are designed to have the hatches, deck covers, doors that can be built open. With a little paper engineering you can make working hinges for doors and hatches. If the model does not have an interior you should build some interior detail, if you are competing in contests judges want to see something inside if a hatch is open.

If you are bashing a model to have open doors/ hatches I would back the opening with .5 mm card stock to strengthen the opening, consider making the backing car stock the scale thickness of the skin of the model. Don’t forget to detail the back of the hatch/door.

Jim Nunn
  12. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

Lepercan

I think you can do more in paper then plastic but then I one of the nuts that make paper hinges.

Most commercial models that have interior detail are designed to have the hatches, deck covers, doors that can be built open. With a little paper engineering you can make working hinges for doors and hatches. If the model does not have an interior you should build some interior detail, if you are competing in contests judges want to see something inside if a hatch is open.

If you are bashing a model to have open doors/ hatches I would back the opening with .5 mm card stock to strengthen the opening, consider making the backing car stock the scale thickness of the skin of the model. Don’t forget to detail the back of the hatch/door.

Jim Nunn
  13. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ray........... I think the Borg got you and changed one eye to a microscope........... but I'm really glad you got away with only that addition, and the un-natural liking for micro stuff!:grin:

My first thought was that A-10 eggy plane......or maybe some new space buggy!

Jim.......... I wasn't going to say any names......... to protect the innocient!

john
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ray........... I think the Borg got you and changed one eye to a microscope........... but I'm really glad you got away with only that addition, and the un-natural liking for micro stuff!:grin:

My first thought was that A-10 eggy plane......or maybe some new space buggy!

Jim.......... I wasn't going to say any names......... to protect the innocient!

john
  15. josve

josve Active Member

Here you have one example of hinges.
    very easy to make,and works very fine.

Attached Files:

16. josve

josve Active Member

Here you have one example of hinges.
    very easy to make,and works very fine.
  17. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Ok Ok,
    The avatar is a caracature model of the A-10 I did a few years ago with the idea of selling it to a plastic maker. No go, even copyrighted it... more fool me!
    It's made entirely of found items around the house except for the sculpy I used to sculpt the snout.
    If I can figure out how to get the pic into this forum, I'll post a pic. It's a prototype, and pretty rough, though.
    Lep
  18. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Ok Ok,
    The avatar is a caracature model of the A-10 I did a few years ago with the idea of selling it to a plastic maker. No go, even copyrighted it... more fool me!
    It's made entirely of found items around the house except for the sculpy I used to sculpt the snout.
    If I can figure out how to get the pic into this forum, I'll post a pic. It's a prototype, and pretty rough, though.
    Lep
  19. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Thanks for the info on the model sir. It looks pretty cool. Sorry I hijacked your thread, that was not my intention.
  20. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Thanks for the info on the model sir. It looks pretty cool. Sorry I hijacked your thread, that was not my intention.