KITBASHING using a old Varney body

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by toptrain1, Jul 31, 2009.

1. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

The body is a bronz streamlined economy hudson loco body. I first tried a old brass mountain frame. I tried it as a mountain and it didn't work out. I removed a driver and tried it as a pacific or hudson. The brass frame just didn't work out. I went to the Mantua Pacific frame and drive and had some sucess here. I have a frame in the body and I tried different tenders with it. The two that seam the best was the Riverrossi NYC Henrey Driffus streamlined tender and a old A.C. Gilbert diecast hudson tender. I am going with the gilbert. On the mantuas drive I replaced the mantua lead and trailing trucks with brass ones. This is where I am now.

Attached Files:

2. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Real sweet rig.
  3. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

RE- Varney makeover

And the work goes on !!! Answers first. Yes it is heavy, and I'll try not to drop it on my foot. I will be making a skirt for each side. I think they will be identical. Varney's add photo shows it painted for the New York Centrals, " Empire State Express ", Streamline Hudson. This NYC streamliner was the last they made. It had the corrugated lower sides who's corrugated style also continued onto the lower tender sides. i It then continued on, matching the lower corrugation on all the passenger cars. NYC also had the Henry Dreyfuss- styled Streamlined Hudson, 'The Century', that had the same boiler lines but a Mohawk fin applied to the curved smoke box front. It was smoth sided and and no corrugation applied to it. These were used to pull the 20th Century Limited. There is a third NYC streamlined Hudson, the" Mercury ". The Commodore Vanderbilt" was the forth. The skirting Varney uses almost matches the New York Centrals Commodore Vanderbilt. The rest of the streamlining does not.
    The body also is a very good match for the Santa Fe Blue Goose, another Hudson. It is much more alike to this Hudson then any of the New York Centrals streamlined Hudson's. The side skirt Varney show, is of the type used on the Blue goose. The New York Centrals Century and Empire is different. All three have the same bulging, round, bullet shape boiler front, with the same streamlined front pilot. The fire box is also of the Blue Goose style. NYC used their Hudson which had its own very unique styled firebox. The forward line of the firebox was not as long forward from the cab as Varney's and had a arcing curved line starting at the top curving forward.
    Now I am not a modler of either line, either the NYC, or the ATSF. My lines are the CNJ which had no streamliners, on the Pennsylvania Rail road which streamlined its K4 Pacific's. (It isn't hard to change a drive from a Hudson to a Pacific.) Will this happen? I don't Know. The model will be a streamlined something. I will continue the work started. I'll try to match what Varney had done. And then make it a Pennsy loco.
    frank
  4. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Varney streamliner

Latest photos with skirts appiled and changed to a Pacific. It is now a Pennsy K class Streamliner.
  5. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Re KITBASHING using a old Varney body

Here it is with the body parts primed and painted with the first coat of color.
    frank

Attached Files:

6. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Re Varney streamliner

Here is a up to date photo of the varney with it's rivarossi tender.
    frank

Attached Files:

7. Sawdust

Sawdust Member

Looking real nice Frank.
  8. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

What fun!

That bronze boiler ought to provide some real heft, it ought to have extraordinary tractive effort , what a find, what a project!

Bill Nelson
  9. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

Re Varney streamliner K4

It is close to done.

Attached Files:

10. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

we have a spamer here. in kitbashing. " cherrynow "

Hey administrators," cheerynow " needs to be booted out of this site. Seams to be just another low life salesperson. this sales pitch is not railroad related and has nothing to do with this hobby, HO model trains. Clean thier post out of here.
    frank
  11. ytter_man

ytter_man Member

This is turning out to be a unique build, very nice :thumb:
  12. Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson Well-Known Member

Bring on the heavyweights!

Bill Nelson
  13. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

to Adminstrator

* What happened to my ability to edit older posts in this post. I wanted to edit one of my past posts and I can't.
    * Whoever this cheery now person is his two selling posts should have been removed form this thread. There are places in this forum for selling adds. This is not one of them. This thread has nothing to do with selling only info on a kitbashing of a particular locomotive. If you can't protect post contributers from this rudeness. Your creating a problum that needs to be properly addressed.
    *** toptrain
  14. toptrain1

toptrain1 Member

This is happening again. Last time you restored my ablity to edit only new posts. I put up with this. Now I have to many things. New photos and discriptions to replace old ones. If I can't edit, I can't put my work here. A partial repair woun't be enought. Please fix my editing ability.
    toptrain frank