Kitbashing an N scale CF7?

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
I picked up a few of the LL GP20s on special for $14.99.

I am going to use two of them to make GP10s using Atlas GP9 shells.

I would also like to make 2 CF7s. JnJ doesn't make the shells anymore and I can't find any in stock anywhere. Does anyone have suggestions on what shells/parts/pieces would be best to attempt this project?

Thanks,

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
A friend of mine used a GP-9 long hood and part of the nose to make the CF-7. He had to scratch build the cab and graft on the modified nose. It won’t be entirely accurate, but it will have the CF-7 feel.

There is a good drawing of the CF-7 in an issue of RMC a few years back. The drawing was of the late cab, the easiest on to build IMHO.

Greg Elems

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
The early "round cab" CF7's actually used the cab from the original F7. If you cut the cab out of an F unit, and scratch build the windshield and number boards over the windshield, you would be close. It seems to me that the short hood looks kind of like either one of the larger Alco Centuries, or a G.E. "U" boat.

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
While this is an O scale CF7, it shows what a GP9 long hood and nose can look like. The problem with using a GP frame and such, will make the steps incorrect. In O, it is very evident. The angular cab would be easy to make. Using an F 7 cab will work only for the roof and part of the sides. The front and back side will still have to be scratch built.

For a drawing of an early CF7, Railroad Model Craftsman’s, March 1971 issue had drawings in O scale.

Greg Elems

Attachments

• cf7.jpg
    cf7.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 121

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
Gentlemen.

Thanks for the advice and the link to the book. Here is a photo of one of the two that I intend on modeling.

It is from the link above.

ADN1514.jpg