Kitbasher's Diary - Model Power Freight Gepot (N Scale)

Drew1125

Well, here I go again...:rolleyes: :D
This is a structure I'm working on to go in the towm of Glasgow Jct. on my N scale Poor Fork RR...
I've started with this Model Power kit...

Attachments

• kb1.jpg
    kb1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 283

Drew1125

Thye first thing I did was to toss out the kit's original molded plastic base, & make a foundation out of styrene...

Attachments

• kb2.jpg
    kb2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 280

Drew1125

...then I paionted it Polly Scale Aged Concrete...I also did a rather botched job with the styrene foundation...I've tried to file it in places to make it a little better, but I'm still not real happy with it...So I've decided I need to come up with some ways to hide it...

Attachments

• kb4.jpg
    kb4.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 270

Drew1125

I've scratchbuilt a loading dock on two sides out of styrene...this takes care of covering up two sides...now let's see what else I can come up with...?

Attachments

• kb5.jpg
    kb5.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 267

Drew1125

Ok, here's the other 2 sides of the structure...same problem...I need to hide as much of the "foundation" as possible...

Attachments

• kb6.jpg
    kb6.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 231

Drew1125

Part of the solution comes in the form of this HO fencing I found in my scrapbox...

Attachments

• kb7.jpg
    kb7.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 271

Drew1125

Using the fencing, & part of an old station kit from a previous layout, I've fasioned a couple of additions, that hide quite a bit of the foundation, & add some additiomal roof angles...now the only foundation left to deal with is around a ground-level loading door...

Attachments

• kb8.jpg
    kb8.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 252

roryglasgow

Wow, Charlie, it never ceases to amaze me how you come up with these ideas! When I look at a kit, all I see is...well, what's on the box... :)

Now tell me...when you painted the concrete on the gepot, did you use a bug brush??? :D:D:D

Drew1125

Thanks guys! :)
Don,
Thanks for the compliment, but this is really a demonstration of how ideas come from trying to cover up mistakes...In other words, by screwing up on your original idea, it may lead you to a better idea than you had in the first place!
Now if I could just apply that to my typing!
Originally posted by roryglasgow
....Now tell me...when you painted the concrete on the gepot, did you use a bug brush??? :D:D:D
No Rory,
I didn't use the bug brush on the gepot walls, but I did use it on the loading sock !:D ;) :p :rolleyes: :D

Well, I'm ready to start working on roof(s)...hopefully, I'll have time to do some of that today!

Attachments

• kb9.jpg
    kb9.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 215

ezdays

Out AZ way
Charlie,

It doesn't matter why you do these things, just that I learn from every one of your "demonstrations", and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Oh yeah, please don't learn to type. You'll take away all the humor in your posts if you do...:p :rolleyes: :p :rolleyes:

D:cool: N

jmarksbery

GREAT

Damn it Charlie, now I need to make a trip to the LHS, AND I'M BROKE!! Great job friend, Jim. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: (I borrowed one of Jons other thumbs) ;)

Drew1125

Thanks Jim!:)
If Jon's running low on thumbs, I can give you as many as you need!
I'm all thumbs! (& I only need two of 'em to type with!)
:D ;) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :D

Arlaghan

Charlie,

I don't know how you do it, but you have a knack for making plastic things look like anything but!

Had you not shown me the first couple of pics, I'd be hard pressed to tell it was a Model Power kit! Goes to show that even the lower end kits - with a lot of TLC - can out perform the higher end ones... In the right hands, of course! :D

:wave: Good work, keep 'em coming!