Kitbasher's Diary: Bachman Rural Freight Statoion (N Scale)

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I think...

...the concrete platform should wrap around the building and the back platform needs wood steps down to the ground.

Kinda like- the front tracks deliver people and the ratty back tracks dumped the LCL packages and newspapers or hasn't been used in years and "you could get hurt back there".

I wouldn't mind meeting a date on the platform just to sweep her around the corner of the building- still on the concrete platform- to kiss her longingly and perhaps stroll along and look at the mess "out back". And the concrete portion would have steel railings at the ends to contrast with the open wood supports. On account of- it falling down totally and we did what we "had to".

Mark

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Well, Don got me thinking, & I've made a few changes...
First I chucked the kit roof, supports, & "knee walls"...
I found some Evergreen siding that was a pretty close match, & made peaks for a gabled roof...
I also shortened the concrete dock, added some steps, & cut up bits of a usedcoffee filter to represent window shades...

Attachments

• mvc-013f.jpg
    mvc-013f.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 147

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I also made a little chadow box out of styrene, painted the inside black, & added a figure, & some barrels...

Attachments

• mvc-014f.jpg
    mvc-014f.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 149

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I've still got a bit more to do on this...after I make a roof, I'll add that idea I got from Don! :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Got some roofing added, & a few more details...

Attachments

• mvc-017f.jpg
    mvc-017f.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 124

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Looking better and better each day!

One thing, if I may: Looks like the railing on that second set of steps is on top of the door - I think you need to move it a smidge to the right.

The weathering on the roof looks awesome! Is that a little hand cart holding one of the barrels??? Great details! :)

Edit: I've been wondering what those lolli-pop shaped engravings were that appear over the doorways - just figured it out - DUH! Aren't those lights? Do you plan to put little bulbs through there?

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks Arl!
I still have some more plans for this one...& yeah, I'll try to get some type of lights on it...not sure if I'll be able to use working lights or not...

rguyett

Oct 22, 2003
calgary alberta
Visit site
looking good I deffinately like this better then those posts and pony walls you were trying to do each pic shows you are on the right track for sure
looking forward to the finished project pic

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks for all the nice words, and the constructive criticisms...I think I came up with something better with your help, than I would've an my own!
Well, I've done a little more today...Don gave me the idea for having an overhang on one side, so I cobbled together a sort of open shed on one end, with a "tarpaper" roof...Also Arl pointed out that the handrails were a little "off" on the front entrance, so I trimmed & tweaked those a little...
Oh, & you'll notice I've given it a name...Without giving away too much, I'll just say that I have plans for this to be one part of something a bit bigger than what you see here! :)

Attachments

• spitfire2.jpg
    spitfire2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 169

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Fantastic Charlie. Glad to have woke up your thought process, but you have to take 100% of the credit for imagination.

I can't wait until I can get back to building structures. You are an inspiration.

Don

P

philip

Charlie: Great kitbash. Really turned out nice. That name is also fitting. Where in the heck is that Spitfire?

philip:D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks again, guys!

I'm in the process of piecing together a bulk oil facility, & I thought this little building would make a good office/supply shed type structure...here's what I've got so far...

Attachments

• mvc-022f.jpg
    mvc-022f.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 192