Kitbashed DPM warehouse

Glen Haasdyk

Here's the warehouse that I've been working on in the construction stages. Fiirt an assembled wall
aez.jpg

Each panel has to be glued to another using the Pilasters provided, There are over thirty parts to this one wall, not including windows! The assembled wall was painted in red oxide primer (A nice brick color) and recived a wash of very thin light grey acrylic paint with a two drops of dish washing detergent. The dish washing detergent will break the surface tension and make the paint flow into the motar lines between the bricks, simulating motar.

afa.jpg

Here's the same wall with weathering. I brushed black chalk to simulate aging and also brushed on varying shades of re to brown to show different shades of brick.

afb.jpg

The walls have been put together I'm not sure if I read the instructions right or now but the edges of the corners did not interlock very well the way I did it. I ended up using evergreen angle styrene for reinforcment on the inside, probably a good idea seeing as how big the thing ended up to be.

afc.jpg

The other side with the office entrance and the truck loading area. The loading dock has to be installed yet.

afd.sized.jpg

afe.sized.jpg

The roof is on, but not finished. The framework for the loading dock is also installed

aff.sized.jpg

The roof is pretty much finished. I poured full-strength white glue over the roof spreading it untill fully covered, then poured fine grey ballast over it all. The result is a tar and gravel looking roof. I still have to installroof hatched, vents, ect. The offices on the first floor now have blinds in the windows, courtesy of tan-colored constructin paper.

afg.sized.jpg

That's as far as the pics go. Since they were taken I 'paved' the area around the building and finished off the loading dock, next comes some senery work and details for the building (crates, people, ect)

C

Catt

My kind of building,She looks great Glen.

I hope your planning on posting more pics. :)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
That looks terrific Glen! The location next to the pier looks perfectly natural. a nice scene in the works!
Ralph

Glen Haasdyk

Thanks for all the compliments.
I will include more pictures, I just don't know when since I have to borrow a digital camera to take these pictures or wait until my 35mm camera's film is used and processed.
I also started on Harlee and Sons' cycle shop (another DPM kit) that will be across the road from the front of the warehouse, and a small boat repair shop that will be squeezed in beside. I plan to leave the wall bordering the edge of the layout table off so I can detail the interior. I might put another building in as well to give a more congested industrial look to the area, but I haven't decided yet.
Ralph, this is where that wall panel that you sent me went!

Sir_Prize

Sweet!
As far as the evergreen angle supports... The N scale kits come with plastics strips to use as
you did with yours, and for roof supports (you cut them to desired length).
To an extent the DPM kits are made to kitbash, or build the pictured item.
If the modules didn't run so much I'd have used them in my kitbashing; but after the figures
came up to 2x the cost of a signle walthers of 2x the size... Anyways...

You are definitely on the way to an awesome scene.

Glen Haasdyk

To an extent the DPM kits are made to kitbash, or build the pictured item.
If the modules didn't run so much I'd have used them in my kitbashing; but after the figures

Well this building actually started as the Fedups freight building which I changed all around for it's size I think I did pretty good cost-wise (around 30$)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
The corners on DPM (and other modular stuff) are always a pain... They are not exactly 90 degrees due to limits of the casting process... Good tip about the angle reinforcement.

Nice work!

Andrew

babydot94513

Member in training
I learned something about using white glue and ballast to create a "tar and gravel" roof. Great job and looking forward to seeing more from your shop!

Sir_Prize

Glen- See told'ya they can kitbash well. ;)
Only $30! ...is that HO?
I was looking to make (in N) a 5 story Cement & Brick Curtain Wall industry a foot
long over all, that came up to close to 30 DPM tiles for one wall. :eek:

Anyways... that's another tale. :rolleyes:

Work looks great, send more. :thumb:

Glen Haasdyk

Only $30! ...is that HO?

Yes it's HO. As I said it started as Fedups freight. Fedups is made of DPM modular parts so changing the building around wasn't to terribly difficult. I just had to have a pretty good idea as to what I was doing before I started putting glue to plastic! I only needed 1 panel that wasn't included in the kit which Ralph generously donated to me.
DPM makes other Modular building kits and bulk packs as well, probably cheaper than buying all the parts seperately.