King Street Toronto ON

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
No name on this photo as I saved it Years ago.
But a beautiful shot you must agree.

Note the cobble stones,, long gone now

On King Street South of Queen Street heading to Dundas West Station

Attachments

• king street.jpg
    king street.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 87

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Wow - another great shot! Besides the beautiful PCC, there's a lot of modelling information in that photo: the billboards, the fruit store, the cluttered utility poles (love those!) and the maze of wires overhead. :thumb:

Val

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
May be of interest

The short turns are not just for run in cars.

If I was turned at Coxwell on the Carlton line for (shall we say the guy ahead is so late he has made me 5 mins late behind him), I am turned to accommodate the GAP coming down from Main station that has been caused , So I leave Coxwell S/T loop ahead of the guy who was late ahead of me , he then will turn] at Lansdowne , to get back on his time (hoping he has made it up).
This procedure, will take almost 2 hrs of run time for us to be back in place.
Now imagine the short turns if a fire hits the line or very bad crash ,
I have seen days where I do not see the end of the line but once.

Streetcar operators are the best:thumb:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
getting off topic

Chris: It could be that 4199 is just behind a couple of other cars, but I thought that he was barely out of the one terminus.
Do you look at Steve Munro's website? He has a post on there about Lawrence buses being short-turned and none covering one part of the route for about 40 minutes.

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi David, This may sound like clairvoyance:D :D :D :D

The destination is Roncesvalles, so on that day in time the car was running in to Roncesvalles car barn, I thing the picture shows the car on Collage near Ossington west bound, if it was an all day service car the turn would be Lansdown.

Lawrence east 54 is not a line I like , Lawrence West 52 I have never drove.
That is where he is revering too.

A lot of things are happening now with running times some are not enough when the operator try`s to make up time knowing that he is going to lose it at point A, all he gets is ease back so he can not help the line as he will be in trouble .
The line falls apart, we get frustrated, the passengers get miffed, but on the TTC paper work all is well.

all in a days stressful work.:rolleyes:

60103 said:
Bill, you ruined all the fun!.

Funny about the short turn -- the car is still at the other end of the line and it's going to short turn less than 5 minutes from the far loop.

Oops! Guess I'm just too efficient.

Carlton cars short turning at Roncesvalles generally were going to Roncesvalles carhouse. Switches do not allow cars to turn around at Roncesvalles and Howard Park. I assume this to be a pull-in rather than a scheduling short turn. In those days this was a very common sight at the end of the rush hour. Numerous cars would head back to the carbarn.

With the loss of much of the industry in our cities the traffic just isn't the same as it was years ago. The housing developments that have replaced many industrial sights are far lower traffic generators. Much of today's employment is 24/7 in high tech and commuications operations and much of the rush hour traffic is not as intense.

West end short turns for operations on Carlton are generally made at Lansdowne Ave.

The short turn sign was intended to inform passengers the car wasn't going to the end of the line.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Bill: I should have checked my track plans for that, but they're down in the basement and the computer is on the top floor.
On unscheduled short turns: the commission complains that after a delay all the passengers cram themselves into the first car that comes along, leaving the next 3 empty. But we've discovered that probably 2 of the next 3 will be turned back and we'll have to get off and wait again, while the packed first car will run through, even if it loses even more time doing it.