King Coal on the RLK&T

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
I was getting ready to pack it in for the day, figuring the local freight I saw earlier was going to be it when I heard a whistle and saw black smoke. Suddenly rumbling through the station was a coal drag being led by P2K Alco FA1 #701.

Attachments

• lne701.jpg
    lne701.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 114

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
The first car was Central Railroad of Pennsylvania 34’ offset hopper custom painted from an undecorated Athearn kit with dry transfers.

Attachments

• hopper1.jpg
    hopper1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 111

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Next is an Lehigh & New England hopper also custom painted from an undecorated Athearn kit with dry transfers and behind it is a PRR off the shelf Mantua hopper.

Attachments

• hopper2.jpg
    hopper2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 107

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Bringing up the rear is a Lehigh & New England caboose. The caboose started life as Mantua caboose which I stripped and custom painted decaled for the LNE.

Attachments

• lnecab.jpg
    lnecab.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 84

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Lastly here is a shot of the train going away.

BTW all the coal loads are home made. About half of them are removable. The other half I am in the process of making removable.

Attachments

• lnecabaway.jpg
    lnecabaway.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 82

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Found a great train watching spot there Tom! :) I like these watch-the-trains-go-by series of shots. The FA and FB are beauties by the way. Nice work on all cars! Roll Lehigh!
Ralph

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Ralph

Thanks for the compliments.

The LNE FA1 & FB1 are off the shelf limited edtion units. I was albe to get these guys off of Ebay last year for about $80.00. There is another set oFA1 & FB1 with different numbers that P2K produced I am searching for.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Tom, What is that brick building next to the FA's in the first photo? Is it a kit and if so which one? And did you paint the brick or did it come like that? It looks nice. Nice weathering on the cars, will you be doing the locos as well?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Gary

Thanks for the kind words.

The building is the Machine Shop kit made by IHC. It is about 15 years old and one of the few useable survivors from my first layout even though a few parts are missing such as the roof sign and the window exhaust fan. About two years ago the kit started to come unglued so I took it apart. I then painted the brick walls by painting the whole thing the color of the mortar and then dry brushing the red bricks. Next I went back and using different shades of red I individually painted random bricks. Since then I have been trying to locate some decals or dry transfers I can use to finish it off.

I have not weathered any locomotives yet. I am getting close to doing my first and hope to do so in the next two months. I don’t mind messing up a $10.00 boxcar, but a $50.00 locomotive makes me a little nervous. Right now I am trying to locate an inexpensive locomotive that I want so I can practice on it and not worry so much.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Tom, I figured you must have done that random brick by brick. It turned out great. I'll have to try it. I know what you mean about some apprehension in weathering your locos, but I think from looking at your freight cars you have little to worry about.