Ki-61 Hein "Tony" from Halinski

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Dec 8, 2006.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The main landing gear. This pic shows the raw parts on the left, and a finished unit on the right. to the left of the main gear is the skinny little tailwheel section. The big seam on the main gear leg will be covered by the gear doors when it is time to mount them. They look kinda rough with the weathering and all, sometimes I'm not a big fan of this. I know it gives the models some character and "life", but sometimes I'm all for factory fresh, and "pristine".

Attached Files:

2. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Those wheels are looking good and smooth, Ted. Nice work!
  3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

"Exhausting work"

Learned the wheels from a post here, chuck'em in the cutoff wheel and sand away, thanks! Well as the title says, work on the exhausts started today.
    The parts are layed out, but one of the most important things to consider doing, is to paint the reverse sides of the exhaust parts BEFORE assembly! It is SO MUCH easier to do it that way tehn to have to micro-paint the interiors in a space not much bigger than a match head!

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Exhausting work

The next part on the Hein was to make a box like structure for the actual "pipes", then add the fwd fairing, then add the little pipes then sit back and touch up any white showing before mounting. I collaged a strip showing the process more or less...

Attached Files:

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And installed, port side with an oil cooler like thingy. This was a tad dissapointing, as the next generation of Halinski's would have this piece with separate grills and about 12 parts to it. This was just one!

Attached Files:

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Spinning wheel...

I was "playing with the prop assembly today while waiting for parts to dry. I Dry fitted the props to the hub and mounted her on the plane for fun. I have an idea for makeing it soin and not come off,, but that will be later...

Attached Files:

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Building the wheel wells. This is not your usual boxed in with a few drawn on details well. It is an reasonably accurate, at least it will fit the landing gear as built, assembly. I started on the little centre piece that looks like the reverse of the yolk that holds the wheel to the landing gear strut. Then you glue the semi-circle around that assembly, then the card piece and then "box" it all in with the piece that goes all around the edge.

Attached Files:

8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Pretty cool when done!

Attached Files:

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Next step is to install the little beastie, also as I'm building the left 1st, I had to build up a landing light. It'll fit in that open spot outboard and fwd of the wheel well.

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The landing light was an easy sort of thing, a sort of leading edge shaped box with a card disc printed in blue. I painted it silver to be a bit more realistic. I used a piece of cellophane plastic from all th candy cane boxes that are littering the house! It all tucks in, waitin' for the wing skeleton which is inserted from the back...

Attached Files:

• ip2.JPG
      ip2.JPG
      File size:
      25.2 KB
      Views:
  11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The skeleton was a strong complicated structure that insures the wing ain't twisting no way no how! I modified it a little, not trusting my build capabilities and did not install the wheelwell bracing. I figured this would give me a little leeway to fiddle the well so it lines up perfectly. I know this was probably not a concern with a Halinski, but like I said I was more worried about me...

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Everthing tucks into the bottom skin of the wing and is folded over the leading edge and then tacked at the trailing edge. It fits perfectly, no trimming!

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Close up of the landing light...

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And the wing bottom... When I reviewed the close up of the light, that printed on muzzle port just doesn't "sing". I'll play around with a scrap piece of wing and see if I can bore a hole and install the barrell. I think these were recessed so I may just drill it out and place the tube flush or something... later...

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Alot of progress, somewhat motivated to get an adversary in the air to "play" with the Hellcat, (until the Zero is finished), the wings managed to get "done".
    I took a shot of the port wing installed, then went on from there. You can see the prop spinner installed which is the subject of the next string...

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The Halinski kit, as far as I can tell doesn't have a mechanism to spin the prop. I usually have this problem with non-model builders; they try to give the prop a twirl, and if it doesn't move the plane does a port barrel roll onto the floor! Having learned this hard lesson from our director a few years ago, I decided no matter what the obstacle, I'd make the props spin! So putting on the thinking cap, which is the double beer can holder model, filled with Heineken, I took a piece of 2mm wire, rolled a tube around it until it was the diameter of the pictured drill bit. I made the tube shorter than the wire, but long enough, and loose enough for the wire to spin freely. I then superglued a coil of paper at the aft end to keep the wire "shaft" from pulling out.

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Hers's a pic of the shaft inserted into the housing. The housing should be fairly long to give the shaft some good support. This will keep the prop spinner and blades from wobbleing when spinning.

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Next step is to CAREFULLY drill out the nose section to a depth as long as the shaft and housing. This is a take your time, and I should have just drilled the bulkhead formers when the darn thing was being built step.

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The prop spinner is then carefully superglued to the end of the shaft, as close to the housing as possible but without superglueing it.

Attached Files:

20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

After making sure all is dry and freely spinning, carefully glue the housing into the huge cavity that you have made and seat the assembly close as possible while still being able to freely spin...

Attached Files: