Ki-61 Hein "Tony" from Halinski

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Dec 8, 2006.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The little progress so far... Finally able to return to some building. I finished the canopy tonight. (it's been a brutal week). The canopy frameing went on pretty well.

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Next, installed the gunsight...

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And installed the canopy after a little trimming...

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

It looks awful in the macro pics... It does fit a heck-ov-a lot better in real life.

Attached Files:

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Further away shot...

Attached Files:

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Last long shot.

Attached Files:

7. Clashster

Clashster Member

Looks great! Seems the "long shot" gives the more real life experience! Guess I will have to tackle those threads on the vacuum form! The canopy looks very nice!

Chris
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

New Tip

Great job Ted!

Also y'all............ if you look really close, you'll see another great tip from Ted.

He colored the edges of the white areas deliniating the attachment of another part. So as not to have the white edge "show throught" if the part is just a teenie but smaller that the section.

This is one of those "I thought everybody did that" tip that gets over-look for new guys!

Thanks Ted!

john
  9. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Hey Ted,

What's the deal with the Shamrock on the side of this plane? Doesn't seem like a Japanese sort of thing. Were they in cahoots with the Irish during the war? :grin:

Rick
  10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Rick, I really don't know. Some of them Irish, were in cahoots with the Germans, but who knows. I like the splash of color though. The other schemes were kinda neat, bare metal with green splotch camo, and variations of that, but Halinski only made this scheme. It is one of the older kits, has some weathering but no separate control surfaces. Maybe they will "Redo" this later. Speaking of "redo" I pulled the other canopy off and made up the spare. The color is off because I prescanned thinking I'll need one of these, and I did. The color isn't too off. I trimmed the crap on this one, and inletted the fwd windscreen so it didn't stand out too much. This incarnation doesn't look much better than last nights. Just differant. Guess it wasn't the day for a perfect canopy.

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

One last standoff shot. I'll start on something else next...

Attached Files:

12. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Here is a text explaining the "clover leaf" insignia
    >>>
    Posted By: Don Marsh <marsh44@fuse.net>
    Date: Thursday, 12 October 2000, at 11:47 a.m

There is only one photo of this very curiously marked Ki 61 (read below). I will send you a scan. Also, here is a copy of a posting I made here on the j-aircraft army board back in June of 1999 regarding the markings of this bird
    Many of you are familiar with the existence of one particular Ki 61 aircraft found at Chofu AB; described as a "chocolate bar" brown Tony with white combat stripe & insignia of the 244th Sentai and displaying a large "kelly-green shamrock" on both sides of the fuselage. At issue is the shamrock

It is my contention that this graphic is not a shamrock [genus trifolium], but is in fact katabami (wood sorrel) [genus oxalis]. Although this plant produces a small five-petaled flower, emblems using this plant as a motif are almost always based on the three-petaled leaf. To western sensibilities this design could easily be mistaken for a three-leaf clover. Wood sorrel was used to make medicinal salves and also to polish bronze mirrors, hence it was also known as kagamigusa (mirror plant). Wood sorrel is almost always portrayed with sword blade devices as part of the design, either appearing tiny and integrated into the central base of the leaf or in larger format between each leaf or both. When appearing with swords separating the leaves, it is called ken katabami (Wood sorrel with swords Known as a military crest, Katabami was a common & popular crest with the warrior class, especially in the form of ken-katabami. It is commonly found on weapons, armor etc. of samurai dating back to the Kamakura period (1185-1333
    To my knowledge there is only one photo of this a/c (see: Broken Wings of the Samurai, pg 79 or FAoW #17, pg 82). If this is the only photographic representation of the alleged "shamrock," the angle of the a/c is so oblique that there isn't enough information to do an accurate or authentic representation of this tri-leafed subject. Even Mr. Nohara's excellent art is rough conjecture. One may only say that the a/c had something that looked like a shamrock to westerners (or katabami to a WWII era Nihon-jin?) painted on the fuselage and refer to the photo for approximate scale and location
    There is no explicable rationale for a shamrock to have been displayed on the side of a Japanese aircraft and historians have found this curious since noted in 1945. It is even less likely that this rather un-Japanese symbol would have been employed at such a time of extreme nationalism. Using this same rationale, the historic & culturally popular military image of katabami becomes obvious, especially in regard to a 20th century samurai pilot employing an 800 year old Japanese tradition
    This is an important issue, not just for the purpose of proper historic identification, but to better understand the culture of the time and spirit of the people. It also serves to restore the pilot of this a/c to his heritage, tradition and military lineage rather than project the likely erroneous scenario that he was "borrowing" a european device.

>>>

Source http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/ki61.htm#Re:%20Ki-61%20I%20Tony%20"Clover-leaf"
  13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Thanks Mike, I knew you'd come thru! My knowledge of Japanese aircraft goes no further than the box art and histories on model instructions. There was a neat episode on the History channel about classic Dogfights. The one I saw was the Zero vs Hellcat. It was pretty cool, had excellant cg graphics and dogfight re-enactments. I started on the stabilizers this evening. They are pretty straightforward, fold over and butt glue the ends and edges, and then add the fairings.

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Finished stb stab.

Attached Files:

15. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Good job on those fairing pieces! Did they fit well or was it matter of worrying them into place?

Rick
  16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Rick, alot of worry and some good old fashion "Brute force"!
  17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Fitted up the pt stab, was easy to build the stab part, ...

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

...But a Royal pain to match up the fairings with the stb piece.

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Overall topside shot...

Attached Files:

20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Very slow going, managed to build up the props and spinner, kinda neat assembly, it doesnt give an option to allow you to spin, but it shouldn't be to difficult. This is the one piece that tends to get abused if you show these things to non modelers, they allways try to spin the props!

Attached Files: