Ki-61 Hein "Tony" from Halinski

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Dec 8, 2006.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

When I started this thread, it was late, very very late. I mis-titled the Hein. It is a Ki-61, not 64. Being a stickler for some details, proper names is one of 'em, I've changed the thread, not a biggy, beats having to do an entire wing again! As for mesmerized, John, no, but I think I can some it up in a little ditty; " I think I'm turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so...." Not really, but we have a great amount of Euro planes on threads, the Pacific theatre needs a few representatives, and the lines of this bird are frankly.... Cool! This late am pic shows almost the first little mistakes. In the instructions the Left mg is supposed to be longer than the right. Not sure why, but to insure you got it correct they made the tubes differant lengths. The is a small mismatch on color mounting spot for the exhaust, but it won't be noticed with a little touchup come mounting time. Once again apologies for the mislabel!

Attached Files:

2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Miss-strokes of the keyboard are easily forgiving by those who are the most guilty!:grin:

I too agree with you on the short comings on the Pacific side of the war.

I would love to see more of the Japanese floats planes made available especially in the 1/32 - 1/33 scale. And downloadable version would be just icing on the cake.

I wish PModel did more offerings in this scale.

I look forward to the build thread, and really can't wait until you get the Hein's canopy vacuformed!

john
  3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

So the MG can be mounted over the engine. Same thing as with the Bf 109s...
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Would this have something to do with timing the bullets to miss the propeller?

Russell

Michael beat me...:wink:
  5. charliec

charliec Active Member

I thought the stagger in the fuselage guns was to ensure the ammunition belts wouldn't interact. Staggering the guns also maximises the space available for the belts for 2 machine guns.

Regards,

Charlie
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

That makes a lot more sense.

I wonder if any interior pics or good drawings are available?

Russell
  7. shrike

shrike Guest

Ki64 "Rob"Twin-engine centerline thrust contra-props
    I came across it a while back (also due to a typo<G>) and thought it would make a neat models
  8. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

FWIW I hope to contribute the that cause soon! My next up after the Hellkitty will probably be the AH Zero.

Rick

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Searching the threads it seems Japanese aircraft in the Pacific theatre are actually well represented. I saw the Val, the Tsurugi, Raiden, Kate, Nobi's Dinah soon to be released? And a few others. I sit corrected! And Mike's Hein which started me on this thread. The last evening and tonight doesn't seem like alot of work but man there are hours in this little bit! I started by cutting out all the formers I could and making a neat little pile!

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The instructions, a english translation that came with the kit, has you building up the cockpit framing and glueing it to the forward sections already completed. Not trusting to the exactness, I dry fitted this sewveral times and it does fit, The only problem is if the fwd framing section is a little off up or down it'll affect the after section. I opted to build up this frameing section and will skin the after parts then fit it to the fwd section. It seems bass-ackwards but A sneak peak ahead, it actually works well.

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The frameing sections fit perfectly! I started on the cockpit tub next, then instead of glueing it in I started on the smaller bit to fill the tub up. My thinking was less things to move around when fitting these itty bittys!

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Some of the "itty bittys". There is more detail in one of Halinski's cockpits then some kits have total parts!

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

There are alot of tubular parts. Some of these are printed on the heavy card that the kit is printed on, and didn't roll perfectly well. I scanned a few of the parts that have to be rolled, and printed them out on thinner paper. As some of these are totally differant colors than the skin parts the color match didn't have to be perfect. It also allowd me to line up the parts to be rolled, into one long "tootsie roll". You roll this around the proper sized former, then let it dry. Then take a SHARP #11 and gently roll the tube section, sliceing off each tube part like pieces of salami. This technique allows you to roll a bunch of small parts at once and keeps all of them to a uniform size. This is great for forming ship scale depth charges, or line bollards too!

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

This little sucker took quite a bit of time to do up. The kit has you using a printed set of "glass' for the reflector sights. I couldn't do this so cut out the printed glass section and cobbed up some glass from overhead transparency stuff I had around. Not the most detailed sight I've seen, but with my eyes and thumbs this is the best I could do.

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Just about finished cockpit section... Needs a few head rests'armour plate but I'll install that later, when it's time to button her up with a canopy.

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Another cockpit shot...

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Last for tonight, eyes spinning along with head, need to rest...both!

Attached Files:

18. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Great job cmdrted!
    You've got quite a bit accomplished this evening, in my opinion!

Enjoyable to follow along with your build.
    I love your sight glass especially! It looks perfect to me!:grin:

Thanks for sharing this build with us, sir. I'll be keeping an eye out for the next installment.:)

Russell
  19. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

Your excellent build threads are greatly enhanced by your great photos - many thanks! I have this one in the "to do" queue - might have to kick it up a few places.
  20. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I really like cockpits and their detail. Yours is turning out great!

Rick